What is the ratio of how many pictures you post to how many you sell?

started in 2004

1994 images on sale.

426 of which have been sold

929 sales in total

highest: 8500.00

lowest: 0.83

deleted: a lot

to be deleted: a lot more

not uploaded: zillions

wim

edit: the lowest was

BK5NBB.jpg

;-)

started in 2004

1994 images on sale.

426 of which have been sold

929 sales in total

highest: 8500.00

lowest: 0.83

deleted: a lot

to be deleted: a lot more

not uploaded: zillions

wim

edit: the lowest was

BK5NBB.jpg

;-)

Wim, what criteria do you use when deciding whether or not an image should be deleted?

BTW, I never delete anything.

Wim, what criteria do you use when deciding whether or not an image should be deleted?

No zooms; no sales and the rest is gut feeling. Mostly in the form of: what was I thinking when I uploaded that?

There are quite a bit of those still in my collection. And contrary to popular belief, they do not sell. 

(Maybe my belief too: I play the lottery as well.)

There are some surprise sales:

AM5KHE.jpg

I would never think of uploading something like that again.

Usually however it's the opposite: I don't get it why some images don't sell. Or don't sell more often.

Occasionally I'm proud of myself and the client:

C0JA67.jpg

only 15.00, but serious mag used it exactly as intended.

Maybe I should run a competition: vote out the worst of my images.

wim

No zooms; no sales and the rest is gut feeling. Mostly in the form of: what was I thinking when I uploaded that?

There are quite a bit of those still in my collection. And contrary to popular belief, they do not sell. 

There are some surprise sales:

AM5KHE.jpg

I would never think of uploading something like that again.

Usually however it's the opposite: I don't get it why some images don't sell. Or don't sell more often.

Occasionally I'm proud of myself and the client:

C0JA67.jpg

only 15.00, but serious mag used it exactly as intended.

Maybe I should run a competition: vote out the worst of my images.

wim

No doubt everyone has "What was I thinking? images. I just leave them alone in the faint hope of surprise sales coming along. Have had a few. In some months any sale is a surprise.

A rash of $0.83 sales was the main reason I bailed out of NU. Still waiting patiently for the $8.5K one that you mentioned.

Wim - knowing you, you probably have a very good reason for this - but why not simply move those images to a separate pseudo rather than deleting them? My understanding is one pseduo doesn't affect any other, so there would seem to be no risk in this strategy ... hmm! 

". . . the rest is gut feeling." wim

Gut feeling is another way of saying "intuition" or the use of the knowledge that sits in our subconscious. I consider this to be my most valuable asset. 

With regard to "what was I thinking (images)," I don't have that problem, even with the silliest of my none-selling images. I click the shutter release to capture for stock only if the subject suggests a caption. So the caption answers that question. Am I wrong a lot? If being wrong means not making a sale on a certain image, a certain subject, I am. But what about tomorrow? Will that picture sell tomorrow?   :huh:

Edo

Archived