Lately, I've been thinking about how the digital age has turned so many of us into "desk potatoes," spending hours every day sitting in front of our infernal computer screens looking for microscopic dust spots, minute amounts of noise, etc.

Perhaps it's time to consider getting one of these before it's too late:

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2013/09/24/preventing-sitting-disease-by-standing-at-work/

I certainly wouldn't buy one of these silly-looking contraptions. But I do find the amount of time I now have to spend sitting in front of computer screen to be worrisome. My eyesight, blood pressure, and overall well being have definitely suffered because of it. Like Ernest H., I work standing up when possible, plus I make sure to get up from my chair and walk around every 30 minutes or so. Still, photography has morphed into a fairly sedentary pursuit. There was a time when I spent much more time walking around than sitting on my duff. The times they have a'changed, that's for sure.

No kidding...It's the equivalent of 'Bar stool spread!'

I miss the days of being active and really do not enjoy all this time in front of the computer. I should find an APP that will ring every 30 mins. Not a healthy lifestyle no matter what your age is.

L

Not exactly an original idea. Ernest Hemingway always wrote standing up. He composed in pencil but also typed his manuscripts standing with a manual typewriter that sat on a bookshelf. 

He lived in Chicago at some point and they had an open house of his apartment and I photographed his typewriter on the bookshelf.Was not on a desk and I think the tour guide mentioned this.

L

During the last ten years I've found myself spending so much time sitting at the computer, which I am doing now.....

that I built my own gym at home.  Almost daily I step away from the comp and do yoga and excercise to very loud 60's

rock and roll for 45 minutes.  I'm now up to 275 push-ups per secession.

I have thought about getting a Victorian desk that you stand up to; the sort that features in most Dickens' TV adaptions (esp Christmas Carol). I do sometimes write and type standing up where there is a high table; but not often enough. I am about make myself a new desk, perhaps I should aim to make it so I can stand at it. I can always use a bar stool/ chair if I do need to sit. I will really think about that, it will also give me more storage under it!

I heard one doctor describe the chair as one of our biggest killers because it reduces the low level movement, the fidgeting which burns so many calories..

If I'm walking I much prefer it to be outdoors with a camera in hand.

Anyway, I find it hard enough getting the cursor in the right place to clone out a dust spot when I'm sitting down, let alone when I'm jogging at the same time.

Chuck has the right idea - get away from the computer for a while. Away with these barmy ideas on mixing incompatible activities - next thing you know someone (not Google surely) will invent a computer screen you can have with you when walking about, to help you to bump into things in the street  :)  :wacko:

During the last ten years I've found myself spending so much time sitting at the computer, which I am doing now.....

that I built my own gym at home.  Almost daily I step away from the comp and do yoga and excercise to very loud 60's

Just a quick note to say that this is probably our favourite ever forum post.

Cheers

Alamy

When I was about to hit 50 (only a few years ago), such was the feeling of impending mortality, I did decide to start running again.

A lifetime of being very active through this profession has probably meant I'm healthier than many deskers - but getting my archive up online has definitely had an adverse affect on overall health. A loss of stamina for one, was very noticeable - hence my reasoning to start doing park laps, at first on my own and now with a neighbour and fellow-dad. We're very anti-competitive so even local group runs are not our bag but we enjoy short jogs then a weekly '4 parks loop' (8+ miles and in all weathers) and the endorphins from that usually makes time spent doing computer stuff more tolerable.

.. and stretch .. !

Rgds,

Richard.

Fifteen years ago when I worked in Silicon Valley (where money was no object of course) the company I was working for installed adjustable desks for all the employees. They had hydraulic dampers which enabled them to be raised to a standing position or lowered for sitting with a gentle push of the hand. It certainly aided my productivity.

Alan

I tend to go for a 30 minute quick walk most mornings before starting on the sitting jobs at my desk. Still suffer from too much time at the computer though.

Right I'm off to get my lunch now.

Allan

Just a quick note to say that this is probably our favourite ever forum post.

Cheers

Alamy

I was impressed as well. I probably couldn't manage 10 push-ups most days.

No need for a gym. I have a 10 month old Golden Retriever that would start gnawing at my legs if I sat at the desk for too long. And then I have the additional exercise of hoovering up the dog fur (leave it for too long and you could knit a second dog).

No need for a gym. I have a 10 month old Golden Retriever that would start gnawing at my legs if I sat at the desk for too long. And then I have the additional exercise of hoovering up the dog fur (leave it for too long and you could knit a second dog).

"dog knitting" 88 results...new pastime, obviously :) .

EDIT: ...or maybe not so new:

AAN2GT.jpg

No need for a gym with me either. I read with interest those here that complain about carrying DSLR's. I have been lugging an 8" x 10" field camera, plus tripod, plus lenses, plus film holders etc. etc. up and down mountain, hill and dale for many years. Then back to stand for hours in the darkroom. Keeps you fit. I can still do it now and still do. Long days in the field. What I save on gym fees i spend on real ale! For energy and re-hydration of course! 

They say that sitting is the new smoking.

Our son has a big desk at his software company that's motorized to raise and lower. He's usually standing.

There was a time when many of us would have been sitting AND smoking. Double whammy!

• 3 weeks later...

As a footnote, I've been suffering with a sore back this week and because it's painful to sit for more than a few minutes, I've moved my monitor and keyboard to a high standing table top. What I find is that while waiting for processing or pages to load etc. I walk around, do exercises and look out of the window. Next thing is a yoga mat!

So if anyone wishes to join my Alamy photographers' pilates Skype class .. STRE-TCH!

Richard.

Keeping on the move is the key. I ration my desk work and move around a lot. My computer is on a bench higher than a normal desk and I use a high stool to sit at it. My studio is on the land behind my home which has a large garden so I tend that as a break from work. Picking asparagus at the moment.  I have days when I am standing and moving all day in the darkroom fulfilling print orders from the galleries that sell my work.  On other days I am lugging a 10" x 8" camera, heavy tripod, lenses, holders etc around the landscape in all weathers. Touch wood, I don't have back problems and I'm not young! Combination of luck and keeping on the move I think. 

Archived