Are iPhone pics just a fad?

I've been browsing through the Stockimo images on Alamy and have to say that I quite like a lot of them. Personally, I think that modern photography has become too slick, with too much emphasis on technical perfection. The funky look of many of the iPhone shots are a welcome antidote. However, I can't help wondering if shots like these aren't just a passing fad. As they continue to pile up by the thousands (millions?) on the Web, will people eventually get sick of them? Also, as cellphone cameras continue to improve, will images taken with them start to look just like ones taken with "real" cameras -- i.e. will the circle complete itself? Any thoughts on this?

I've been browsing through the Stockimo images on Alamy and have to say that I quite like a lot of them. Personally, I think that modern photography has become too slick, with too much emphasis on technical perfection. The funky look of many of the iPhone shots are a welcome antidote. However, I can't help wondering if shots like these aren't just a passing fad. As they continue to pile up by the thousands (millions?) on the Web, will people eventually get sick of them? Also, as cellphone cameras continue to improve, will images taken with them start to look just like ones taken with "real" cameras -- i.e. will the circle complete itself? Any thoughts on this?

I know what you mean. However I would guess that they will become something of a niche, like Lomo, Holga and for those greybeards who remember GAF 500 transparency - grain like golf balls but Sarah Moon did very well out of it, Could be quite a big niche but I suspect as the phone cameras get more sophisticated (with zooms etc) the results may start to look just like cheap compact pics.

I guess what I'm saying is that funky phone pics are in a way an accidental byproduct of

I know what you mean. However I would guess that they will become something of a niche, like Lomo, Holga and for those greybeards who remember GAF 500 transparency - grain like golf balls but Sarah Moon did very well out of it, Could be quite a big niche but I suspect as the phone cameras get more sophisticated (with zooms etc) the results may start to look just like cheap compact pics.

Yes, in a way, funky phone pics are an accidental byproduct of a technology that is improving rapidly. Pretty soon, iPhone, etc. images will probably, as you say, look like those taken by regular point-and-shoot cameras, and we'll back where we started. What goes around, comes around, as they say.

I hope so, iPhone's represent a very blunt photographic tool, in my book. I don't see the point myself, except perhaps for convenience and speed?  Buying an iPhone represents a considerable investment as does a monthly  contract to operate it on  a mobile network. 

I would think iPhoneography is definitely a fad. There is nothing intrinsically different about the iPhone camera. Any perceived funkiness must be mainly down to those judging the images. Mine does great bluegrass (oh that’s just the music).

The camera gives very decent results for a phone camera if held steady but there is a hefty amount of in-camera sharpening resulting in gritty skies when viewed at 100%. 

I certainly won’t be replacing my Nikon DSLR with an iPhone but it is interesting to know that I can use the phone as a point and shoot in case I do see something interesting although no guarantee of acceptance on Alamy given the emphasis is on content.

John - no need for a monthly contract - I answered your previous query in the other thread. 

iPhone shots are a cheap and easy way of producing 'art' pictures, that is, done in an 'art' style (nothing to do with contemporary art, or photography used in that context).  Many art photographers use film combined with darkroom work to try and get a different look, some spend days on just one image.  Alamy probably realises it isn't going to attract anyone working in this way - and for contemporary art photographers there are much better licensing alternatives anyway.

For anyone stuck in a technical imagination-free hole, what could be better than an iPhone?

Is it a fad? Of course it is, but what's wrong withy that?

Stockimo - I quite like a lot of them.

As you would for any Alamy collection edited for being "artsy".  Except this way you've got images with dodgy quality (which can easily be manufactured from a QC'd image).

iPhone shots are a cheap and easy way of producing 'art' pictures, that is, done in an 'art' style (nothing to do with contemporary art, or photography used in that context).  Many art photographers use film combined with darkroom work to try and get a different look, some spend days on just one image.  Alamy probably realises it isn't going to attract anyone working in this way - and for contemporary art photographers there are much better licensing alternatives anyway.

For anyone stuck in a technical imagination-free hole, what could be better than an iPhone?

Is it a fad? Of course it is, but what's wrong withy that?

Nothing wrong with fads at all. They can be fun and liberating. I just wonder if the iPhone craze is really worth Alamy's (and our) time given the technology that produces these cheap and "artsy" images is evolving so quickly. Today's fuzzy and grainy is tomorrow's smooth and crisp. I certainly have no plans to become an iPhonographer. But then I still use a land line for most of my telephone calls. I also miss phone booths. 

Undoubtedly faddish, yes, but this is part of the attraction for Alamy and their clients - and I agree that the technology will move on quickly.  If Nikon and Canon (et al) don't catch up fast, they will undoubtedly be left behind.  As well as guaranteeing vastly superior technical quality, DSLRs or their replacements need to able to do much that the smartphones can do (OK, maybe not the phone calls...then again, why not?) in order to justify investment in their (overpriced) products from a user-base that is rapidly seeing their income decline or disappear.  With the rapid improvements in technology, maybe they should offer upgrades in their hardware in the same way that we are able to upgrade our phones?

But I think that Alamy is trying to latch on to other opportunities here, too.

• One is immediacy, and that surely links in with news: contributors will be snapping away in more places than ever before at all times.
  • Second is that more people will now be able to submit than ever before, and these new folk may have fresh ideas and new ways of looking at things.  That may also be the case with current contributors, who will be able to alter their viewpoint (sorry about the pun) to submit a different type of image to appeal to a different (or changing) kind of market.
  • As I understand it, this also enables Alamy to sell these images however they like, under whatever scheme they choose and so offer cheaper images to clients.  They will want to distance themselves from other organisations offering similar products and so maintain a certain price level, but long-term the trend is down.

I believe that the long-term will see all areas of the market for images polarise even further.  Happy snappers will have a market for their shots, but those intending to actually make any kind of living will definitely have to distance themselves from that area - or at least keep a low profile while they do that alongside their other work!  As was mentioned in another thread, no-one really wants to see a wedding tog turn up with a compact, or a portrait tog arrive at a corporate shoot with a smartphone - regardless of how technically competent these machines now may be, you will just not inspire confidence in the customer.  Image is everything.

Which brings me back round to the original post - it's image, and Alamy can't be seen to be left out or unaware of this trend for the time being.  In any case, a prime opportunity to gather new contributors who will be more than happy to receive 20%.

The way i see it, it gives a fresh opportunity to monetize - however small the $$$ - photos that would have taken anyway but never considered selling before. They are sitting on my iPhone anyway, so why not! Certainly doesn't amd can't replace quality DSLR equipment, but don't always have that with me. Finding it intriguing what is rating highly and what isn't. If my happy snap of a bowl of porridge at a cafe earns a few $$$$ all the better!

I can see a place in the market for iPhone pics for low res web shots and speed of posting. It will also give buyers the option between cheap and cheerful and professional. You pays your money you makes your choices. Hopefully this will allow stock pics prices to stop falling. Its nice to dream!!!

Will this make QC redundant?

dov

It is true that is scary the concurrency with this new technology.

But there is a detail that should not be forgotten, it is not because we have equipment that can do a nice picture or a correct picture.

I am in the field of dogs and I have many friends who bought the same professional equipment to mine thinking they would be able to do the same.
When I see their result, I'm quite reassured !
  ;-)

Vanessa

There Are 10 Things I Won't Be Doing In My Future in Stock:

1. Using my Apple iPhone  as an alternative photography equipment System

2. Ah, I forget the other nine things

There Are 10 Things I Won't Be Doing In My Future in Stock:

1. Using my Apple iPhone  as an alternative photography equipment System

2. Aaahh!! .... I forget my camera bag

I can see a place in the market for iPhone pics for low res web shots and speed of posting. It will also give buyers the option between cheap and cheerful and professional. You pays your money you makes your choices. Hopefully this will allow stock pics prices to stop falling. Its nice to dream!!!

Will this make QC redundant?

dov

Dov, I agree that there is a market, as you say.  It is for Alamy to decide how they play this though: given their rapture over the interest of a major ad agency in one of the first photos submitted and the (initial) decision to lump everything together (though this may rapidly change once they get a certain # of images in the bag) and the notification that payouts begin at $10, I am not  100% convinced that it will separate the two markets.  Rather they will be seen as parallel.

Your dream that lower prices in one market will see prices raise in the other is IMHO a possibility - but, considering the worldwide economic situation, not in the short term.

It is true that is scary the concurrency with this new technology.

But there is a detail that should not be forgotten, it is not because we have equipment that can do a nice picture or a correct picture.

I am in the field of dogs and I have many friends who bought the same professional equipment to mine thinking they would be able to do the same.

When I see their result, I'm quite reassured !  ;-)

Vanessa

Vanessa, you're totally right of course: having great tech gear never graced anyone with ability, skill or artistry.

As an aside, it is positive to see that the fact that many Stockimo pics are being rejected, may be a sign that many don't get what is required yet, and that therefore Alamy is trying to create something different and positive here, which may promote the brand generally?  Just a shame that they seem to be promoting it over and above regular images (I am extremely cynical about the ranking of Stockimo images within the general collection) with an easy get-around as far as tech quality is concerned, and that prices seem to be destined to be low (time will tell...)

other places; Stockimo isnt the be-all and end-all

think wider

km

My contract doesn't like my discussing a particular company's business not yet out in the public domain, but don't think for a minute that Alamy is leading a trend, just following, but adding a bit of tech savvy.

Don't need an iPhone either.

Archived