Stockimo - practical question re costs

OK, so please could someone explain to this Nokia  Neanderthal what the practical costs are of uploading to Stockimo from an iPhone ?

A well known UK mobile dealership is currently doing a reasonable deal for an iPhone 4S  which includes 250MB UK data per month - if one was to be uploading, say 100 images to Stockimo per month, would that data handling amount be enough, and if not, how much data handling would one need?

Just asking. Thanks for any help!!

Kumar

OK, so please could someone explain to this Nokia Neanderthal what the practical costs are of uploading to Stockimo from an iPhone ?

A well known UK mobile dealership is currently doing a reasonable deal for an iPhone 4S which includes 250MB UK data per month - if one was to be uploading, say 100 images to Stockimo per month, would that data handling amount be enough, and if not, how much data handling would one need?

Kumar

250mb a month won't last long if you are sending images via the mobile network. You could of course use wifi though..... but takes a little away from the instant sale possibilities (news images).

Edit.... good spot Jon, McDonalds..... grab a bite to eat while you are there!

oh.... we seemed to have moved in mid posting!

Costa also do free wifi - sign up to a card. At least the food is edible and you are not surrounded by.........

BTW, Belgian teacake works for me :)

No Duncan 

Don't grab a bite to eat I only use the McDonalds restaurant finder on my iPhone for clean toilets and free wifi

Jon

True..... I should find a better quality establishment to satisfy my liking of burgers...... I don't often get the chance to have them so they have to be good when I do have one :D  

Don't forget that BT have hotspots all over the place and depending who your ISP is, you can hope on to them. It makes far more sense to just go with a 3G unlimited plan. I'm on 4G and with 4Gb data a month I never even touch it, and I use it to upload to flickr and watch youtube on my phone. 

OK, so please could someone explain to this Nokia  Neanderthal what the practical costs are of uploading to Stockimo from an iPhone ?

A well known UK mobile dealership is currently doing a reasonable deal for an iPhone 4S  which includes 250MB UK data per month - if one was to be uploading, say 100 images to Stockimo per month, would that data handling amount be enough, and if not, how much data handling would one need?

Kumar

Be careful getting a phone as old as the 4S (over 2 years now, I have one) as you might find it outdated when there are new iOS releases and the cameras are likely to improve with each new phone. The 4S works fine for now I should say and I've not found it wanting yet. However, it can be false economy going for a cheaper package and finding you have to upgrade or that you are tied into a package that is not what you want or need. 

Kumar

Be careful getting a phone as old as the 4S (over 2 years now, I have one) as you might find it outdated when there are new iOS releases and the cameras are likely to improve with each new phone. The 4S works fine for now I should say and I've not found it wanting yet. However, it can be false economy going for a cheaper package and finding you have to upgrade or that you are tied into a package that is not what you want or need. 

Whereas Android just goes on forever. (Or so it seems)

Allan

Thanks for all the suggestions so far (tho I am trying, for health reasons, to keep out of McDonalds....)

So someone could take a load of images on their iPhone and then use their home wi fi system to upload them to Alamy along the same lines as we already upload "proper" images? How does one do that, exactly? (I told you, I am a complete neanderthal when it comes to modern mobile phone technology!)

Kumar

what file size are the mobile phone images, is it going to be worth it ? How long physically does it take to upload 10 images ... then I presume you have to do all the usual stuff like keywording. I do need a new phone but have never needed or owned a "camera " quality phone.

Kumar

Whereas Android just goes on forever. (Or so it seems)

Allan

It's funny you should say that, we just found out that before too long we'll not be able to update apps on our iPad as it will not be included in further OS upgrades. This means if you update an app it will stop working as it is designed around the new OS. When that does happen, we'll be getting a Samsung Note tablet. My father in law has one (big version of my Samsung Note2) and it's terrific. 

IPhone 4S has almost the same capabilities as iPhone5/5S. Each photo has 8mpx and about 3-6 MB. Uploading from your Wifi at home is the best solution. I tested last night. The only think I can't understand is how can I check my photos status (uploaded, aproved, viewed) and views.

How much does an iPhone 5 cost? I believe they are not cheap!  What is the minimum outlay for those of us without an iPhone? May be you  would not need a phone contract if you upload via WiFi at home, or via a BT hotspot, or MacDonald's etc? Anyone know if this can be done without a monthly phone contract?

I bought an iphone 4S for another agency doing cameraphone pics, it's the only i-anything I've invested in....my next phone will definately be Android. :)

I bought an iphone 4S for another agency doing cameraphone pics, it's the only i-anything I've invested in....my next phone will definately be Android. :)

The phone is okay, but you don't feel it's your phone - it's Apple's and you can be allowed to use it if you agree to their awkward business terms.

My god these threads are probably the best free Apple promotion seen for a long time. I hope these mobile photos won't play any important role here in the future. Perhaps a faint hope. If so, I will do something else, I won't be a smarta.. photographer. My iPhone is only going to be used if I am not bringing my camera.

I have a BB Z10 that runs both the BB OS as well as Android, so I will wait for Android. Already have uploaded some pics from my phone to foap.com. Just basic keywording (or tagging) that you do while it is uploading. Then it is rated by other foap users and has to get a 2.5 average out of 5 (basically the same 50% as Alamy does) to be put on the site. They sell the photos for a flat $10 each.

I considered buying a broken iPhone that had a working camera, but really, don't think its worth the investment.  I"m sure the Android version won't be long, and I doubt anyone would sell enough photos from their iPhone to cover the cost of buying one from this point until the Android app is out there.

Jill

I have an iPhone, but it's so dumb that when I say hello to it in the morning it doesn't respond. Okay, it's the original iPhone and I changed the SIM card and connection deal a few years ago, so it's now a dumb phone. Me owning  a dumb phone is a smart move. It was costing me $90 a month to get very little use out of it. Now I can do very little with it . . . except make a phone call and that's not a certainty.  

I had an iPhone 4s until last October.  Then I walked into the store to look at the new ones just released, and was told basically the only thing changed was the new colors for the cases.  Maybe a few minor tweaks.  I walked out of the store with a new LG GS, 13 mp.  The images taken with this phone are 50% better than with the iPhone.  The main thing I noticed is a broader dynamic range with fewer blown highlights and excellent color rendition. Some of these images were just as good as ones taken with my 20 mp Sony RX100, and some with the LG were even better.  The salesman and I ran an experiment with the LG and the popular Samsung Galaxy (his personal phone).  We held up the two phones and took the identical shot.  The LG was superior with warmer oolors. The Galaxy color looked heavy on the blue tone. Otherwise, both took nice images.

Compared to my iphone, the LG has a bigger screen to see what I have just taken! 

Not a cheap phone, but funny thing is I was able to trade in my iPhone for this one, and all I paid was the sales tax.  Happy camper, for sure.  The only thing worse about this phone is the business locator, which seemed easier to use on the iPhone.  I expect it is my luddite inexpertise on that, and I need to practice more.

I haven't had the opportunity to check out Alamy's email on smart phone uploads, but I shall.

Betty

IPhone 4S has almost the same capabilities as iPhone5/5S. Each photo has 8mpx and about 3-6 MB. Uploading from your Wifi at home is the best solution. I tested last night. The only think I can't understand is how can I check my photos status (uploaded, aproved, viewed) and views.

Check your account icon  - bottom right hand corner.  When you have uploaded an image it will appear and say 'Photo uploaded.'  When it fails you will get the message saying 'Photo rejected.'  

Archived