Stockimo - practical question re costs

News images?  Shouldn't news images still be uploaded via the news route?  I thought images from phones were welcome to be uploaded via the news route?

OK, so please could someone explain to this Nokia Neanderthal what the practical costs are of uploading to Stockimo from an iPhone ?

A well known UK mobile dealership is currently doing a reasonable deal for an iPhone 4S which includes 250MB UK data per month - if one was to be uploading, say 100 images to Stockimo per month, would that data handling amount be enough, and if not, how much data handling would one need?

Just asking. Thanks for any help!!

Kumar

250mb a month won't last long if you are sending images via the mobile network. You could of course use wifi though..... but takes a little away from the instant sale possibilities (news images).

Edit.... good spot Jon, McDonalds..... grab a bite to eat while you are there!

oh.... we seemed to have moved in mid posting!

Kumar, data will be dependent on the country you live in.  Here in the U.S., you are restricted to slower speeds after 50mb of data (the phone providers turn down your data speeds).  We have the worst internet service in the world when you compare to other countries.

I have tried to upload with laptop and images from 5D MK III at McDonalds here in Denver....I gave up after 45 minutes and the first image had not been transferred yet.

I will be uploading via WiFi when I am at a place where I know my data will be transferred quickly and reliably.

IPhone 4S has almost the same capabilities as iPhone5/5S. Each photo has 8mpx and about 3-6 MB. Uploading from your Wifi at home is the best solution. I tested last night. The only think I can't understand is how can I check my photos status (uploaded, aproved, viewed) and views.

Check your account icon  - bottom right hand corner.  When you have uploaded an image it will appear and say 'Photo uploaded.'  When it fails you will get the message saying 'Photo rejected.'  

It shows "Photo uploaded", but I can't find it on Alamy.

News images?  Shouldn't news images still be uploaded via the news route?  I thought images from phones were welcome to be uploaded via the news route?

OK, so please could someone explain to this Nokia Neanderthal what the practical costs are of uploading to Stockimo from an iPhone ?

A well known UK mobile dealership is currently doing a reasonable deal for an iPhone 4S which includes 250MB UK data per month - if one was to be uploading, say 100 images to Stockimo per month, would that data handling amount be enough, and if not, how much data handling would one need?

Just asking. Thanks for any help!!

Kumar

250mb a month won't last long if you are sending images via the mobile network. You could of course use wifi though..... but takes a little away from the instant sale possibilities (news images).

Edit.... good spot Jon, McDonalds..... grab a bite to eat while you are there!

oh.... we seemed to have moved in mid posting!

Kumar, data will be dependent on the country you live in.  Here in the U.S., you are restricted to slower speeds after 50mb of data (the phone providers turn down your data speeds).  We have the worst internet service in the world when you compare to other countries.

I have tried to upload with laptop and images from 5D MK III at McDonalds here in Denver....I gave up after 45 minutes and the first image had not been transferred yet.

I will be uploading via WiFi when I am at a place where I know my data will be transferred quickly and reliably.

Ed, this must be your provider, I'm not restricted to slower speeds after 50mb of data.  I do agree though that we are behind with internet, phone service etc. in the US.

I was incorrect in my previous post....it is not 50mb, it is 5gb.  My understanding is this is the practice of every major carrier in the U.S. - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. and it has been since 2012 unless you are grandfathered into a plan (you can do a Google search to see news articles about the issue)  I have heard that Virgin Mobile does not have restrictions but my understanding is they are on the Sprint Network so I don't know how that works.

I was incorrect in my previous post....it is not 50mb, it is 5gb.  My understanding is this is the practice of every major carrier in the U.S. - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. and it has been since 2012 unless you are grandfathered into a plan (you can do a Google search to see news articles about the issue)  I have heard that Virgin Mobile does not have restrictions but my understanding is they are on the Sprint Network so I don't know how that works.

5GB yes.  I was only questioning 50mb.

But there is a bright light I haven't heard anyone mention.  Finally an edited collection!  But edited on content not picture quality.  Those fries better look good. We just can't seem to have our fries and eat them too.

I'm on the three uk network, which is truly unlimited, last month I downloaded 130gb and uploaded 30gb of my phone.my speed stays pretty much the same (23mb DL & 10mb UL) regardless of use but speed will change based on what area I'm in at the time.

I see Alan's closing comment in his follow up blog: "Thanks again to everyone who is taking part in this exciting project".

But, Alamy, you're shutting out all those with Android phones! Can we have some commitment to allowing those contributors in? Surely it can't be that difficult to create an equivalent Android App?

I see Alan's closing comment in his follow up blog: "Thanks again to everyone who is taking part in this exciting project".

But, Alamy, you're shutting out all those with Android phones! Can we have some commitment to allowing those contributors in? Surely it can't be that difficult to create an equivalent Android App?

Qoute from the blog http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2014/02/21/5630.aspx

"Hopefully Stockimo will be a great success on iPhone and it will make sense to follow up with an Android version. We’ll honour the same % split for any Alamy contributors registered with Alamy at the launch of Stockimo (Feb 4th) if they join Stockimo at any time in the future." Alamy

So it might be coming for andriod someday

How much does an iPhone 5 cost? I believe they are not cheap!  What is the minimum outlay for those of us without an iPhone? May be you  would not need a phone contract if you upload via WiFi at home, or via a BT hotspot, or MacDonald's etc? Anyone know if this can be done without a monthly phone contract?

Just saw this and it doesn't seem to have been answered. Costs of individual phones are available on the Apple UK website. The 5s 16Gb is £549 for pay as you go. Contracts often have the phone very cheap but you sign up for a specific period like a year or 18 months. But you don't need a contract - you can get various pay and go deals to suit what you do or you can just put money on the account as required. You can just use your home internet connection for uploading  - you don't need to use the phone network to do this. If you were going to use the phone network in contrast to wifi for image uploads you would need a data package or it would cost a fortune but you don't need to do this. I have a very simple calls and text pay and go package with O2 which I can optionally top up every month - if I don't top up I have to pay for individual calls. Best to pop into one of the network shops on a quiet day and ask about options - I find they are typically very knowledgeable and helpful.

I don't see it as an economical solution to pay the costs of a new iPhone, either outright purchase or contract, just to take snaps to upload to Alamy when I already have two, and possibly three in the future, cameras which, in my opinion, do a better job.

Allan

I don't see it as an economical solution to pay the costs of a new iPhone, either outright purchase or contract, just to take snaps to upload to Alamy when I already have two, and possibly three in the future, cameras which, in my opinion, do a better job.

Allan

It's not likely to be economical but the days when a mobile phone was just for making phone calls are long gone and it was the iPhone that heralded the new age.

A smart phone is basically a tiny mobile computer which can be used for all sorts of very useful things e.g.  email, web, maps, travel documents, calendars, reminders, contacts, dictionaries and various other things that a laptop computer can do  - but the phone is a lot easier to carry. There are apps for almost anything you can think of and many of them are very useful. Not to mention music - the iPhone is a very high quality MP3 player. 

Then there is video or even sound recording to make notes which is one of my main uses of my iPhone - I make short videos as notes of what I am doing when out taking pictures - localities, info about what is in the photos such as plant IDs for example. And I do stills as well of signs and intepretation panels etc etc.

I've never used the iPhone camera yet to take serious pictures but the quality is remarkably good and I think that people who are objecting have not actually looked at what is achievable with an iPhone. I think the only argument against Stockimo that really holds water is that there is no QC process. Arguments against the quality of the images based soled on the fact that the iPhone is not a proper camera are feeble.

Allan

It's not likely to be economical but the days when a mobile phone was just for making phone calls are long gone and it was the iPhone that heralded the new age.

A smart phone is basically a tiny mobile computer which can be used for all sorts of very useful things e.g.  email, web, maps, travel documents, calendars, reminders, contacts, dictionaries and various other things that a laptop computer can do  - but the phone is a lot easier to carry. There are apps for almost anything you can think of and many of them are very useful. Not to mention music - the iPhone is a very high quality MP3 player. 

Then there is video or even sound recording to make notes which is one of my main uses of my iPhone - I make short videos as notes of what I am doing when out taking pictures - localities, info about what is in the photos such as plant IDs for example. And I do stills as well of signs and intepretation panels etc etc.

I was doing all that back in 2002 with the Sony Ericsson p800 and that wasnt even the first. I used it to tether my laptop via bluetooth to wire photos in for Getty before the iphone was even unveiled.

Alamy are really missing a trick not including android in this.

How much does an iPhone 5 cost? I believe they are not cheap!  What is the minimum outlay for those of us without an iPhone? May be you  would not need a phone contract if you upload via WiFi at home, or via a BT hotspot, or MacDonald's etc? Anyone know if this can be done without a monthly phone contract?

Just saw this and it doesn't seem to have been answered. Costs of individual phones are available on the Apple UK website. The 5s 16Gb is £549 for pay as you go. Contracts often have the phone very cheap but you sign up for a specific period like a year or 18 months. But you don't need a contract - you can get various pay and go deals to suit what you do or you can just put money on the account as required. You can just use your home internet connection for uploading  - you don't need to use the phone network to do this. If you were going to use the phone network in contrast to wifi for image uploads you would need a data package or it would cost a fortune but you don't need to do this. I have a very simple calls and text pay and go package with O2 which I can optionally top up every month - if I don't top up I have to pay for individual calls. Best to pop into one of the network shops on a quiet day and ask about options - I find they are typically very knowledgeable and helpful.

I don't see the benefit of buying an iPhone just for Stockimo. The fact the payout level is set at $10 points to the images being sold very cheaply.

Allan

I was doing all that back in 2002 with the Sony Ericsson p800 and that wasnt even the first. I used it to tether my laptop via bluetooth to wire photos in for Getty before the iphone was even unveiled.

Alamy are really missing a trick not including android in this.

Yeah. I was really making the point that a smartphone is really worth having for all sorts of reasons. And the technology has come on more than a little since 2002. I have to admit I was a bit of a smartphone luddite. I got my iPhone about 2 years ago but I subsequently wished I had had one for years. As a Mac user I lean towards the iPhone for the integration with the rest of my stuff but any good smartphone will do - it's become an indispensible item for me now.

I don't see the benefit of buying an iPhone just for Stockimo. The fact the payout level is set at $10 points to the images being sold very cheaply.

I agree.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a BB Z10 that runs both the BB OS as well as Android, so I will wait for Android. Already have uploaded some pics from my phone to foap.com. Just basic keywording (or tagging) that you do while it is uploading. Then it is rated by other foap users and has to get a 2.5 average out of 5 (basically the same 50% as Alamy does) to be put on the site. They sell the photos for a flat $10 each.

I considered buying a broken iPhone that had a working camera, but really, don't think its worth the investment.  I"m sure the Android version won't be long, and I doubt anyone would sell enough photos from their iPhone to cover the cost of buying one from this point until the Android app is out there.

Jill

Foap's servers have been struggling to cope with the uptake after they were featured on ABC News last week. I'm sure someone posted a link to the news story on here.

They accept any images from any device including DSLR. You need to upload via the app though but they do have one for Android as well as iPhone. In the meantime, Stockimo seems to have slowed right down. Foap also have Missions where advertisers give picture needs and you can earn more if they get used.

I wouldn't use the free wifi spots for more than simple uploads/downloads - and take my precautions....

http://archive.9news.com/news/local/article/335341/222/Hackers-behind-some-free-Wi-Fi-hotspots-

Either wait until I get to a trusted wifi or use my mobile phone subscription which, I think, still offers 1Gb monthly data traffic in DK, which I, together with the 10 hours telephone time, seldom use more than partly...

Foap's servers have been struggling to cope with the uptake after they were featured on ABC News last week. I'm sure someone posted a link to the news story on here.

They accept any images from any device including DSLR. You need to upload via the app though but they do have one for Android as well as iPhone. In the meantime, Stockimo seems to have slowed right down. Foap also have Missions where advertisers give picture needs and you can earn more if they get used.

That's one thng to do with all our Stockimo rejects! ;)

Archived