Exiting the Sin Bin

I'm reporting from the exit gate of the Sin Bin. I got the Alamy email last night. This was my second QC failure in seven years. Both images had real problems and the problems were entirely my fault. 

To add to my general confusion, at some point in the past month (when I was suffering from flu), I seem to have changed some of my image numbers . . . so I'm not 100% sure at this point which image was my sin. I'm pretty sure, but since there were only 14 images involved altogether (5, 7,1, 1,) I've decided to delete them all and move on. (No alternative approach will be considered.) 

This has been a very unpleasant month. As I said, I've been ill, and the weather has been awful, and I've had a big project I've been involved with (not photography). 

For those who will suggest I go out a shoot the bad weather, well, be my guest if you want to do that. I made the effort to shoot a big snow storm here about 2 years ago. I've not had a sale on that. In my past, I've done most of the hard and dangerous stuff. Now I leave it to you young lions and lionesses. 

I end my time in the Sin Bin with some very negative thoughts, not about QC, but about the pathetic state of the stock industry. I've not had a sale in the past two months. That's much more serious than anything to do with Alamy QC. 

I'm out too Ed, blinking in the bright sunshine :)

I accept that it's our fault for not noticing faults in our images but I think it's silly to punish your suppliers for 28 days. Alamy may think we're going to use that time building up more images to upload but we need to earn so our images go elsewhere.

Like you, I've binned the 4 batches I had uploaded and I haven't even looked at them again. It was my first attempt with my RX100 and one came back SoLD. 

Hi Ed,

Glad to know you're out of the sin bin and recovering from the 'flu (there have been some horrible bugs going 'round here too - most of the family have suffered to some degree), but sorry to hear that you're down in the dumps.  I'm sure that the sales'll pick up again.  I've got nothing to base this on but optimism (rare for me!), but it'll be better in the bright light of the morning!

For myself: I ain't no spring chicken, but I'm not buried yet either!  The rain, wind and floods in the UK offer great photo ops (and potential rewards) for those prepared to dedicate themselves to it, but I've pretty much got my head down, too.  I'll be surfacing with the flowers (snowdrops have already appeared).

Keep your chin up! :)

Happy Valentines Day from QC Rehab (a.k.a. the Sin Bin), Ed. I've been languishing here since January 15th for reasons yet to be divulged. It's kinda odd because it was a small batch, and I went over each image with the proverbial fine tooth comb and could find nothing wrong with them (obviously someone else did, though). It's also kinda ironic because January was one one of my best Alamy months ever, and February is also looking really good sales-wise. Anyway, congratulations on your early exit and sorry to hear about the mix up. Sometimes deleting the whole batch is the only way to go. I'll say hi to LiLo for you. She's also a Rehab regular.

I'm reporting from the exit gate of the Sin Bin. I got the Alamy email last night. This was my second QC failure in seven years. Both images had real problems and the problems were entirely my fault. 

To add to my general confusion, at some point in the past month (when I was suffering from flu), I seem to have changed some of my image numbers . . . so I'm not 100% sure at this point which image was my sin. I'm pretty sure, but since there were only 14 images involved altogether (5, 7,1, 1,) I've decided to delete them all and move on. (No alternative approach will be considered.) 

This has been a very unpleasant month. As I said, I've been ill, and the weather has been awful, and I've had a big project I've been involved with (not photography). 

For those who will suggest I go out a shoot the bad weather, well, be my guest if you want to do that. I made the effort to shoot a big snow storm here about 2 years ago. I've not had a sale on that. In my past, I've done most of the hard and dangerous stuff. Now I leave it to you young lions and lionesses. 

I end my time in the Sin Bin with some very negative thoughts, not about QC, but about the pathetic state of the stock industry. I've not had a sale in the past two months. That's much more serious than anything to do with Alamy QC. 

Although I haven't had a fail (was worried about my last batch but if finally passed today) getting out this winter for pics has been a challenge. Didn't get to do my sled dogs as we had a foot of snow and my car sat buried in a snow drift for 2 days before I could get it out. Then the weather was so bad for the snowcross that I didn't get those either. 

I only go out on the sunny winter days (and we have had so few of those this winter). When stuck on the farm, I get feeling like a caged lioness out here buried in snow. Was supposed to do a dog show this weekend (as a vendor selling my custom dog collars) but the snow is so tall in front of the driveshed I can't get my booth or products out. So just going to go and take pics instead.

Been a b*tch of a winter, so looking forward to the warmth of April.

Jill

Ed,

very glad to hear you're feeling better - remember that illness esp flu like ones, and also winter have a tendency to make people feel generally negative. The weather over here has been in many ways just as bad as what you have been having and I guess if one does have to spend time in the bin its not a bad time of the year to do so as theres only so much one can do outdoors (Redsnapper excluded!!)

We are all looking forward to a bit of sunshine. Sooner rather than later!

Kumar

Ah! I finally got you to give me some free medical advice, Kumar!  :)  (Free?  :(

This flu landed on me and joined up with my chronic asthmatic cough, a condition I've had for over 20 years, so it was no fun. But I was just out and managed to walk around and navigate the melted-snow lakes on every corner.  The tough part of winter in NYC, when compared with Canada or Minnesota, is the fact that we spend a lot of time walking the streets. Most everywhere else in the Western World people go from their warm homes to their warm cars to their warm offices or malls. My closest food store is 9 blocks away.

Edo

Ah! I finally got you to give me some free medical advice, Kumar!  :)  (Free?  :(

This flu landed on me and joined up with my chronic asthmatic cough, a condition I've had for over 20 years, so it was no fun. But I was just out and managed to walk around and navigate the melted-snow lakes on every corner.  The tough part of winter in NYC, when compared with Canada or Minnesota, is the fact that we spend a lot of time walking the streets. Most everywhere else in the Western World people go from their warm homes to their warm cars to their warm offices or malls. My closest food store is 9 blocks away.

Edo

Glad to hear you're back walking the streets. In Vancouver we can almost swim to the nearest grocery store at this time of year, which makes us the lucky ones.

That was a wild night with 80mph plus winds straight up the channel.

Sound painful ;)  :D

I was going to say the same thing but I thought better of it. At least it wasn't down the channel  :lol:

I've got the feeling did not passed either, as I normally belong in the saturday morning lane.  :wacko:

And yes last week I passed a week in Paris. Awful weather seven days on a row. I did what I could.

Coming home I actually realised that the best way to treat with this weather is doing night/ evening shots or concentrate on more detailed photography. (Objects, situations etc.)

Why did I not realised that before? Well The Eiffel tower is always an impressive thing to see and distracts at least me.  ;)

I've got the feeling did not passed either, as I normally belong in the Saturday morning lane.  :wacko:

Ditto: I'm usually in the Saturday morning club, too.  I've got a nasty sinking feeling.  Took a good long look at my last (multiple) submission and couldn't find fault if I was sin-binned.

I've got the feeling did not passed either, as I normally belong in the Saturday morning lane.  :wacko:

Ditto: I'm usually in the Saturday morning club, too.  I've got a nasty sinking feeling.  Took a good long look at my last (multiple) submission and couldn't find fault if I was sin-binned.

If you're not familiar with the plays "No Exit" by Jean-Paul Sartre or "Waiting for Godot" by Samuel Beckett, they make excellent Sin Bin reading.

Well, I just exited the Sin Bin after a month and a bit of doing penance. On Sunday no less! QC must really be working overtime these days. Once again, the image that failed was not one that I would have chosen as a likely candidate. Can't believe that after all this time, I still haven't got a 100% handle on how Alamy determines if an image is "soft and lacking definition." Guess I really do need QC Rehab. The dilemma now is do I resubmit all the others that weren't tagged as SoLD or start from scratch with a new batch. It sure would be a heck of a lot easier if Alamy just kept the ones they wanted and spat out the rejects. Oy vey.

Well, I just exited the Sin Bin after a month and a bit of doing penance. On Sunday no less! QC must really be working overtime these days. Once again, the image that failed was not one that I would have chosen as a likely candidate. Can't believe that after all this time, I still haven't got a 100% handle on how Alamy determines if an image is "soft and lacking definition." Guess I really do need QC Rehab. The dilemma now is do I resubmit all the others that weren't tagged as SoLD or start from scratch with a new batch. It sure would be a heck of a lot easier if Alamy just kept the ones they wanted and spat out the rejects. Oy vey.

I'm thinking of writing a musical called No Exit for Godot. I'm trying to get Miley Cyrus onboard. 

I just submitted a couple of test images to Alamy to see if the system is in fact functioning. They were okayed. 

By the way . . . I see a lot of people (some people?) in the forum talk about being passed by QC on a Saturday. It has been my observation that absolutely nothing happens on my Alamy connection on the weekend -- the home page image doesn't change, nothing gets updated, zero happens and never has. I wonder if that has anything to do with me being in NYC or the Brooklyn office in Dumbo? 

This is neither a complaint nor a suggestion, mind you. I just find it odd when I hear that Phillips always gets his okay from QC on a Saturday morning.  :mellow:

I'm thinking of writing a musical called No Exit for Godot. I'm trying to get Miley Cyrus onboard. 

I just submitted a couple of test images to Alamy to see if the system is in fact functioning. They were okayed. 

By the way . . . I see a lot of people (some people?) in the forum talk about being passed by QC on a Saturday. It has been my observation that absolutely nothing happens on my Alamy connection on the weekend -- the home page image doesn't change, nothing gets updated, zero happens and never has. I wonder if that has anything to do with me being in NYC or the Brooklyn office in Dumbo? 

This is neither a complaint nor a suggestion, mind you. I just find it odd when I hear that Phillips always gets his okay from QC on a Saturday morning.  :mellow:

No Exit for Godot sounds like it would be an instant hit, Ed. I'd go for it if I were you.

I've never had anything okayed on Saturday either. I guess it's a matter of time zones. I believe that all the Saturday morning club members are on the other side of the pond (?). Those of us in the New World don't seem to qualify. Yesterday was, as far I can remember, the first time I've been told of my parole being approved on a Sunday. I do occasionally see my cleared funds updated on Sunday, though.

Archived