Smartphone upload

It's getting murkier and murkier... 

Has anyone received any communication about this?

Surely, there must be some rules in place. 

6 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I do wish that somebody would tell us what is going on.........

agree 100%

just spied the additional upload route late last night and thought "What's that about?"

general communication poor from Alamy in so many respects - we all want Alamy, ourselves and the business to do well so please keep us fully updated and sort out the strategy including the assurance that contributors are properly notified, please.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nodvandigtid said:

agree 100%

just spied the additional upload route late last night and thought "What's that about?"

general communication poor from Alamy in so many respects - we all want Alamy, ourselves and the business to do well so please keep us fully updated and sort out the strategy including the assurance that contributors are properly notified, please.. 

The lack of timely communication really is counterproductive for all parties involved.

After the affiliated site for mobile phone photography stopped taking submissions I waited a long time for any announcements on its future and my options for mobile photos. Eventually I got bored of waiting and registered with another site purely for my mobile photos and started uploading them there - I currently can't see me now uploading exclusively onto Alamy given this new portfolio whereas previously I would have been.

Also what now happens with the mobile photos trapped in purgatory on the shuttered affiliated site? Will they be transferred into our Alamy portfolio? Mine at least are viewed as a separate account with no linkage.

I see there is the proviso "If uploading via Smartphone, to add Captions/Tags and other tools please use laptop/desktop."

I wonder what happens if anyone tries to upload that way.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I asked contributor services about mobile uploads as part of querying something else. I was told:

"... we’re currently working on mobile upload via Alamy and should have it ready this year, I understand Stockimo has been dormant for quite some time, and we hoped to have an alternative ready by now as we don’t want to lose the loyal contributor base, we had with Stockimo.

Once we have more information on mobile upload, we’ll let you know"

... so they're working on it it seems. Hopefully they will clarify soon what can and can't be uploaded via the smartphone option... and how it works in terms of QC.

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alamy said:

Hi Everyone,

Yes it's true - we're now accepting smartphone uploads, and this week we launched Version 1 of a Smartphone upload route. This is in line with our planned sunsetting of the Stockimo App and our wider strategy for accepting Smartphone captured photography.

The reason for the soft launch is so we can ensure everything's working as expected and give us some breathing space if we're required to make any bug fixes, so we've not made any major announcements just yet.

We'll be contacting the Stockimo community and communicating to the wider Alamy contributor audience in due course, so watch this space and we'll be providing more guidance very soon.

In the meantime, you're all invited to start uploading your smartphone photos, and we'll do our best to address any concerns on the forthcoming official announcement.

Thanks

Sophie

Sophie,

How will QC work? If a smartphone upload fails QC (as it was taken and presumably edited on a smartphone), will this have the traditional negative impact on our QC rank and with enough 'smartphone fails' potentially block us from uploading images taken on an actual camera, edited and uploaded as we always have? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alamy said:

In the meantime, you're all invited to start uploading your smartphone photos

Before doing so surely it would be helpful to have more information about the criteria for acceptance and QC, any Smartphone image, any size, any sensor etc. (current Smartphones can have up to 4 separate cameras with very variable technical quality from the same phone)? Are you able to say whether Smartphone images will have a separate category or search facility on the main site, and will their source be identifiable as the Stockimo images are?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ace said:

Just tried to upload a photo as a test.

But keeps rejecting the jpeg photo ?

Wonder why ?

Any thoughts @Alamy

I tried one too.. it uploaded without issue and passed QC immediately (I have 5-star QC.. might be why). It is now key-worded in the normal way and we'll see if it is for sale this time tomorrow..

Edited by Matt Ashmore

8 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I tried one too.. it uploaded without issue and passed QC immediately (I have 5-star QC.. might be why). It is now key-worded in the normal way and we'll see if it is for sale this time tomorrow..

Matt. Did you upload through your mobile or your computer ?

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

I uploaded directly from my phone.

IPhone or Android?  The previous iteration of the smartphone route would only accept the former (which locked out those of us who won't touch Apple products with a ten-foot pole).

Edited by Vincent Lowe
  • Like 2

Wasn't Stockimo edited - I'm assuming that this version isn't?

I actually now have a smartphone,  need to learn how to use the thing!

Yay, DID IT. Now in QC ( what timing!) Uploaded direct from my iPhone.

Hope I don't fail and lose my 5* rating

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

pricing of smartphone vs camera licenses?
any reason to pursue smartphone with higher quality-variety of image output?

time shooting smartphone takes away from time shooting camera -- consequences?
reasonable strategy: carry camera & smartphone but how to determine which to use per situation?
e.g., smartphone more discreet, less attention-getting...?
anyone else have Samsung Galaxy A12?  where does its photo output rank amongst smartphones?
(no, I don't use it now for photos, EVER...)

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

IPhone or Android?  The previous iteration of the smartphone route would only accept the former (which locked out those of us who won't touch Apple products with a ten-foot pole).

It accepts both. I submitted two images with android and they both sailed though.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2