April 2024 Favourite uploads

36 minutes ago, Steve F said:

A great philosophy. I also enjoy photographing things I know won't sell!

Gen, a question. I'm just curious, what lens do you do the bird shots with? I'm assuming it's longer than 400mm so must be pretty heavy?

I use two combos for bird photography: either Nikon D500 (crop sensor) with a 80-400mm for hand held shots or Nikon D4 with a 500mm lens and Gitzo tripod fitted with a Kimberley bracket to follow bird movements. Ackward equipment to fly with I can tell you.

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

I use two combos for bird photography: either Nikon D500 (crop sensor) with a 80-400mm for hand held shots or Nikon D4 with a 500mm lens and Gitzo tripod fitted with a Kimberley bracket to follow bird movements. Ackward equipment to fly with I can tell you.

I too use a D500 with Nikon 80-400mm, but usually for people/head shots. If needed I could borrow a Sigma 150-600 from my brother-in-law as he only shoots aircraft with it at Fairford for a few days within the year.

• Love 1

50 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I too use a D500 with Nikon 80-400mm, but usually for people/head shots. If needed I could borrow a Sigma 150-600 from my brother-in-law as he only shoots aircraft with it at Fairford for a few days within the year.

Ditto for the rare occasions when I shoot close-up of people, usually during some kind of festival or event. Heavy combo!

13 hours ago, gvallee said:

Cool, thanks. Guess the crop sensor gives you a ~600mm equivalent. And do you crop the subsequent images a lot too? I've got a 100-400mm for my full frame and I haven't even bothered trying to photograph birds with it.

7 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Cool, thanks. Guess the crop sensor gives you a ~600mm equivalent. And do you crop the subsequent images a lot too? I've got a 100-400mm for my full frame and I haven't even bothered trying to photograph birds with it.

I do crop an awful lot and sometimes uprezz.

• Thanks 1

Spotted this sign a couple of days ago, and couldn't resist stopping for a photo. I'm hoping it will sell well, and help recoup the cost of a new tyre, as I wrecked one on this road a couple of years ago!

pothole-road-road-sign-with-actual-stree

• Love 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Spotted this sign a couple of days ago, and couldn't resist stopping for a photo. I'm hoping it will sell well, and help recoup the cost of a new tyre, as I wrecked one on this road a couple of years ago!

Brilliant, that made me laugh this morning. I hope you get your sales 🤣

12 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

Brilliant, that made me laugh this morning. I hope you get your sales 🤣

Thanks, Steve. It made me laugh too!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, VbFolly said:

'POTHOLE' could be added to so many road signs. Well worth stopping to shoot. I swerve to miss potholes almost every day I use my car. My wife recently wrote off a tyre on a rural road and last year I damaged a tyre and wheel plus lost the wheel trim when exiting the M25 at J21A due to a deep long pothole. Before getting it sorted I had to pump the tyre up every few days. Hope it sells.

Edited by sb photos

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

A bit different for me this month. I've being going through envelopes stuffed full of big B/W negatives taken by my dad in the 50s. I always knew they existed and had seen a few contact prints but I have been amazed at what I've found. Quite a bit of work in Photoshop dealing with 70 years of dust and scratches, and identifying subjects for accurate captions is quite a challenge - most of his best ones being 'people somewhere in Africa, c1956 - but I'm uploading what I can via the archive route and it would be great to think he might make some sale all these years later.

I just wish he was still around to see it.

2WY0PPN.jpg

2WY0PR1.jpg

2WY13JG.jpg

2WY13MG.jpg

2WYK4T8.jpg

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={862B56E3-AF85-4026-BA78-C8BF65E321D9}&name=J%2bW%2bRobinson&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

Fascinating images.

I would add fifties. Maybe do an AoA search for possible subjects too.

Entebe=Entebbe btw.

wim

24 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Fascinating images.

I would add fifties. Maybe do an AoA search for possible subjects too.

Entebe=Entebbe btw.

wim

Thanks - yes 'fifties' is a good idea, as is spelling things correctly (especially when it's written a big sign on the front of the building).

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

'POTHOLE' could be added to so many road signs. Well worth stopping to shoot. I swerve to miss potholes almost every day I use my car. My wife recently wrote off a tyre on a rural road and last year I damaged a tyre and wheel plus lost the wheel trim when exiting the M25 at J21A due to a deep long pothole. Before getting it sorted I had to pump the tyre up every few days. Hope it sells.

Thanks. The rural roads around here are definitely bad for potholes at the moment - I guess it's all the rain we've had the last few months making it worse this year. I wouldn't expect that on a motorway slip road though. 

18 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

A bit different for me this month. I've being going through envelopes stuffed full of big B/W negatives taken by my dad in the 50s. I always knew they existed and had seen a few contact prints but I have been amazed at what I've found. Quite a bit of work in Photoshop dealing with 70 years of dust and scratches, and identifying subjects for accurate captions is quite a challenge - most of his best ones being 'people somewhere in Africa, c1956 - but I'm uploading what I can via the archive route and it would be great to think he might make some sale all these years later.

I just wish he was still around to see it.

2WY0PPN.jpg

2WY0PR1.jpg

2WY13JG.jpg

2WY13MG.jpg

2WYK4T8.jpg

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults.aspx?pseudoid={862B56E3-AF85-4026-BA78-C8BF65E321D9}&name=J%2bW%2bRobinson&st=11&mode=0&comp=1

Those are great photos Phil. The trees in the second one look like Australian Eucalyptus trees which have apparently been planted and grown in east Africa for over a century. I hope some of the images license for you. I have boxes full of my Dad's slides, also from the 50s and 60s onwards. I think some could be of interest here on Alamy, such as the 1962 Commonwealth Games held in Perth and just capturing life back then. I just have to set up the process of converting the slides which I probably still won't get to for a while. Like you I wish my Dad was still here to see it if I put the images up. He would have gotten a real kick out of it if some of them licensed.

Head of Tyrannosaurus Rex. Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

head-of-tyrannosaurus-rex-cornhill-linco

Cine Kodak Model BB movie camera.

cine-kodak-model-bb-movie-camera-2X03F18

White spring blossom on tree in recreation field, Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK

white-spring-blossom-on-tree-in-recreati

No. 2C Autographic Kodak Junior Model A camera  (This was a rescue job. Still work to be done.)

no-2c-autographic-kodak-junior-model-a-c

Kodak Hawkeye Ace small box camera  (Another rescue job. completed.)

kodak-hawkeye-ace-small-box-camera-2X03F

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I'm glad to see they have him in a cage.

Paulette😀

• Love 1

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

I'm glad to see they have him in a cage.

Paulette😀

🤣

Allan

Some more for your delectation.

Lady collecting for Marie Curie Care support, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lady-collecting-for-marie-curie-care-sup

New Chopstix noodle bar open for business, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

new-chopstix-noodle-bar-open-for-busines

Model of Triceratops dinosaur in cage, Waterside Shopping centre, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

model-of-triserratops-dinosaur-in-cage-w

Head of model of a dinosaur, Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

head-of-model-of-a-dinosaur-cornhill-lin

Hole in tree trunk.

hole-in-tree-trunk-2X08M0K.jpg

Allan

• Like 1

Looking across City Square to Waterside shopping centre from Sincil Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

looking-across-city-square-to-waterside-

Looking across City Square to Waterside shopping centre, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

looking-across-city-square-to-waterside-

River boat moored on river Witham near The Witch & Wardrobe public house, Waterside, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

river-boat-moored-on-river-witham-near-t

Wirgin edixa flex 35mm film camera

wirgin-edixa-flex-35mm-film-camera-2X0WR

Voigtlander Brillant V6 twin lens reflex camera 

voigtlander-brillant-v6-twin-lens-reflax

Pentacon FB SLR camera 

pentacon-fb-slr-camera-2X0WRBM.jpg

Allan

• Love 1

On 11/04/2024 at 04:00, Allan Bell said:

Cine Kodak Model BB movie camera.

cine-kodak-model-bb-movie-camera-2X03F18

White spring blossom on tree in recreation field, Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK

white-spring-blossom-on-tree-in-recreati

No. 2C Autographic Kodak Junior Model A camera  (This was a rescue job. Still work to be done.)

no-2c-autographic-kodak-junior-model-a-c

Kodak Hawkeye Ace small box camera  (Another rescue job. completed.)

kodak-hawkeye-ace-small-box-camera-2X03F

Allan

Nice collection! I bought one of those Junior Model A's in pristine condition with the box along with a a bunch of other stuff on ebay when someone was doing an estate cleanout about 20 years ago. Have it in my office. I thought about buying a roll of 120 film at the time to try it out but never ended up using it - but I'd bought it for display. I've only got three old cameras all bought cheaply (<$20) . Wish I'd bought some more at the time. Ebay used to be such a bargain. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Like 1