April 2024 Favourite uploads

A little humor after being buried in paperwork:

chappaqua-ny-april-11-2024-lego-minifigu

I've been playing around with some Legos this winter trying to improve my still life/indoor shooting skills. This was obviously shot in a lightbox, but I've tried some dramatic lighting too - harder than I imagined when my subjects are so tiny! I guess I'm enjoying my second childhood. I'm not alone, it's a growing hobby and a couple of other places have already licensed some of the images. I've filled several pages in my photo shoot idea notebook with ideas but when I want to order specific parts it can take weeks when I can only get it from Denmark; the US warehouse doesn't carry everything, but there are some second hand markets too. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

On 06/04/2024 at 05:08, Allan Bell said:

Olympus XA1 with A9M flash unit

olympus-xa1-with-a9m-flash-unit-2WY6MXW.

Note: This is the third iteration. I had the first one which I won in an Amateur  Photographer competition.

Allan

I love my XA! I was recently thinking I should start using it for fun, again. Needs new foam but otherwise still in excellent condition. 

16 hours ago, Marianne said:

Nice collection! I bought one of those Junior Model A's in pristine condition with the box along with a a bunch of other stuff on ebay when someone was doing an estate cleanout about 20 years ago. Have it in my office. I thought about buying a roll of 120 film at the time to try it out but never ended up using it - but I'd bought it for display. I've only got three old cameras all bought cheaply (<$20) . Wish I'd bought some more at the time. Ebay used to be such a bargain. 

Thank you Marianne.

Allan

11 hours ago, Mark Scheuern said:

I love my XA! I was recently thinking I should start using it for fun, again. Needs new foam but otherwise still in excellent condition. 

Yes I was really chuffed to win that camera. Not the one in the photo.

Allan

• Love 1

Antiques and Collectables, Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

antiques-and-collectables-steep-hill-lin

Street entertainer in the groove with his music, Castle Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

street-entertainer-in-the-groove-with-hi

Parking enforcement officer checking vehicle on Castle Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

parking-enforcement-officer-checking-veh

St James Gate, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

st-james-gate-bury-st-edmunds-suffolk-en

Danum Cottage, St John's Street, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

danum-cottage-st-johns-street-bury-st-ed

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 2

I took a road-trip to Tennessee this past weekend to see some old childhood friends.  I shot a little bit of stock along the way but wasn't all that motivated, as I used to be.  Still to process a bunch of images.  Any clue what type of pigeon this...maybe an Alamy pigeon.

usa-a-pidgeon-in-an-old-shuttered-buildi

• Love 2
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I took a road-trip to Tennessee this past weekend to see some old childhood friends.  I shot a little bit of stock along the way but wasn't all that motivated, as I used to be.  Still to process a bunch of images.  Any clue what type of pigeon this...maybe an Alamy pigeon.

usa-a-pidgeon-in-an-old-shuttered-buildi

I got curious because I see these guys every day. Lots of information here... https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/pigeon-paradise/highlights. Definitely a Rock Dove. I am surprised to learn that the lovely Mourning Doves are Pigeons too.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I see them all the time too, but mine are saying “Bonjour” and “Oohlala!” 😉

I was amazed to see the "same" birds in India that I saw in Africa. Good at flying. Pigeons? Kind of surprising that they have populated the world. .. at least in the cities.

Paulette

22 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I was amazed to see the "same" birds in India that I saw in Africa. Good at flying. Pigeons? Kind of surprising that they have populated the world. .. at least in the cities.

Paulette

Believe it or not we have Rock Doves or Rock Pigeons here in Australia as well that were introduced and are descendants of the same birds found in Europe and Asia. Here they say "G'day mate". They are also called Feral Pigeons here or Australian Rock Doves. They usually look exactly like the one in your photo Michael but there are variants too from selective breeding.

• Like 2

On 17/04/2024 at 02:02, Marianne said:

A little humor after being buried in paperwork:

chappaqua-ny-april-11-2024-lego-minifigu

I've been playing around with some Legos this winter trying to improve my still life/indoor shooting skills. This was obviously shot in a lightbox, but I've tried some dramatic lighting too - harder than I imagined when my subjects are so tiny! I guess I'm enjoying my second childhood. I'm not alone, it's a growing hobby and a couple of other places have already licensed some of the images. I've filled several pages in my photo shoot idea notebook with ideas but when I want to order specific parts it can take weeks when I can only get it from Denmark; the US warehouse doesn't carry everything, but there are some second hand markets too. 

This is a fun image Marianne. That looks like me when I'm doing my tax 😂 I hope you license some of the concepts you are putting together.

Edit: so sorry in my original message that I called you Michelle instead of Marianne. I’ve just corrected it. There is something wrong with my brain and names sometimes!

Edited by Sally Robertson
  • Thanks 1

Wild bluebells in spring

wild-bluebells-in-spring-2X1KRMC.jpg

The Pillar of Salt Road Sign, Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk 

the-pillar-of-salt-road-sign-angel-hill-

The Abbey Gate tower from Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

the-abbey-gate-tower-from-angel-hill-bur

Stall holder talking to customers market day Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

stall-holder-talking-to-customers-market

Pair of gravestones in shadow

pair-of-gravestones-in-shadow-2X1KREX.jp

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 2

On 17/04/2024 at 06:03, NYCat said:

I got curious because I see these guys every day. Lots of information here... https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/pigeon-paradise/highlights. Definitely a Rock Dove. I am surprised to learn that the lovely Mourning Doves are Pigeons too.

Paulette

I love Mourning Doves. So gentle & loving with their mates. I used to have many of them feed on the fallen seed under my bird feeders. Then the larger Eurasian doves showed up & bullied them away, along with a Sharp-shinned hawk that preyed upon them. 😢

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Very exciting images, Sally.

Paulette

Thank you kindly Paulette. I was glad to get the image of Kelly Slater just before he entered the water. He is considered the greatest professional surfer of all time. It's thought at 52 he may be at the end of his career. I really enjoyed being there and got to chat to some other photographers too.

East elevation St Edmundsbury Cathedral from remains of Bury St Edmunds Abbey, Suffolk, England, UK

east-elevation-st-edmundsbury-cathedral-

Old Shell petrol pumps at car dealer entrance 

old-shell-petrol-pumps-at-car-dealer-ent

Lady surveying remains of St Mary's Chapel Great Benedictine Monastery, Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

lady-surveying-remains-of-st-marys-chape

St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

st-edmundsbury-cathedral-bury-st-edmunds

Grey Squirrel sat on bench eating peanut, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

grey-squirrel-sat-on-bench-eating-peanut

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I recently dug some more images out of my old hard drive.

Sunrise at Riverton Bridge on the Canning River, Perth, WA.

colourful-sunrise-at-riverton-bridge-on-

Moonrise at dusk at Herdsman Lake, Perth, WA.

moonrise-at-dusk-with-reeds-in-the-foreg

Surfers entering the water in choppy conditions just after sunrise at Trigg Beach, Perth, WA.

two-surfers-entering-the-water-in-choppy

Foggy sunrise at Bibra Lake, Perth, WA.

a-foggy-sunrise-at-bibra-lake-with-golde

• Love 1
  • Like 5