April 2024 Favourite uploads

24 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Blimey those little TLRs are nice, such good condition. I love that first baby Rolleicord, super quality in a tiny package.

Thanks. I do try to buy the best condition cameras but have boobed on occasion.

Sorry Harry they did not make a Baby Rolleicord as far as I can tell from my camera library.  They did make a Baby Rolleiflex with grey body though.

The other Rolleicord is the model Va from 1957-61. Both same size.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

24 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry Harry they did not make a Baby Rolleicord

Yes, I was only speaking figuratively as it is indeed a very small camera for 6x6 medium format quality, like its later companion. I don't have one but I do have a Minolta Autocord in a similar condition to your cameras. It has a fabulously sharp lens, way better than the 80mm on my Mamiya C330 when I took the trouble to compare them once, but I use it rarely.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks. I do try to buy the best condition cameras but have boobed on occasion.

Sorry Harry they did not make a Baby Rolleicord as far as I can tell from my camera library.  They did make a Baby Rolleiflex with grey body though.

The other Rolleicord is the model Va from 1957-61. Both same size.

Allan

The Rolleicord was (is? I still have both) my spare to the Hasselblad. I think I used it on a couple of sessions when the 500C was in for a fix (the PC socket went bad once, and it jammed once ot twice). I even bought the lovely little lens hood so I could put a net under it for portraits.

• Like 1

This was a housesit we did recently near Brisbane. Possible market target: housing? The national housing crisis is in the news almost every day.

2WY97W1.jpg

2WY980C.jpg

WA Maritime Museum, Fremantle, Western Australia

2WY98AF.jpg

2WY988H.jpg

• Love 4

Two people talk in front of artwork on an outside wall of Affleck's Palace, an independent market of small stalls and shops, central Manchester, UK

2WY7K6M.jpg

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Put your sunglasses on for this lot.  (Correction.  You need your sunglasses for zxzoomy's photo above.)

Lesser Celandine wild flower

lesser-celandine-wild-flower-2WY6MXG.jpg

Low level view of Daffodil growing wild

low-level-view-of-daffodil-growing-wild-

Kodak No 2 Hawkette bakelite camera

kodak-no-2-hawkette-bakelite-camera-2WY6

old bellows camera    Note: Make unknown. Could be hash up of various bits.

old-bellows-camera-2WY6MXM.jpg

V.P. Twin 127 film camera

vp-twin-127-film-camera-2WY6MXY.jpg

Olympus XA1 with A9M flash unit

olympus-xa1-with-a9m-flash-unit-2WY6MXW.

Note: This is the third iteration. I had the first one which I won in an Amateur  Photographer competition.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, zxzoomy said:

Two people talk in front of artwork on an outside wall of Affleck's Palace, an independent market of small stalls and shops, central Manchester, UK

2WY7K6M.jpg

Love this one. so busy looking at the photo as a whole I missed the two people talking at first glance.

Allan

• Love 1

One from a recent walk about. If anyone knows the technical name, or any other appropriate keywords, for those blue box uprights these guys were installing I would appreciate it. They looked like they were being installed around the building as some sort of trim.

a-male-workman-using-a-hydraulic-lift-pl

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

One from a recent walk about. If anyone knows the technical name, or any other appropriate keywords, for those blue box uprights these guys were installing I would appreciate it. They looked like they were being installed around the building as some sort of trim.

a-male-workman-using-a-hydraulic-lift-pl

Not an expert, but I would have... exterior trim, fascia (as in, front of building, not as in a fascia board on a house), panels, 'uprights', and probably stanchion (although not strictly correct)

Greater Manchester Police did a good job today keeping pro Israel and pro Palestine protests apart in Manchester, UK. This is a member of the pro Israel group - and he was not arrested. I have just realised that I have been taking photos of demonstrations for 50 years. 

2WYFP7B.jpg

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Lesser Celandine wild flower

lesser-celandine-wild-flower-2WY6MXG.jpg

Hi Allan

This is now renamed to Ficaria verna.  You've also got the old name as Ranunculus ficario when it should be Ranunculus ficaria.  Hope this helps you make a sale (I take far less commission than A).

John

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

A small pro Israel protest (on right) carrying placards which include a 'rape is not resistance ' message confronts a regular pro Palestine demonstration in central Manchester, UK, 6th April, 2024

2WYGPB2.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Hi Allan

This is now renamed to Ficaria verna.  You've also got the old name as Ranunculus ficario when it should be Ranunculus ficaria.  Hope this helps you make a sale (I take far less commission than A).

John

Oh Heck!  Thank you John.  I am going to have to update my RSPB book of "Wild Flowers of Britain and Europe."

Just looked and my edition was published in 2010.🤪

Allan

The latest publication that RSPB have on-line for that book is 2013.  So it will still be out of date.  Recommendations please?

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Oh Heck!  Thank you John.  I am going to have to update my RSPB book of "Wild Flowers of Britain and Europe."

Just looked and my edition was published in 2010.🤪

Allan

The latest publication that RSPB have on-line for that book is 2013.  So it will still be out of date.  Recommendations please?

ITMA

I usually check with the RHS website - they're pretty up to date with nomenclature.  The problem is that DNA analysis is now replacing the older types of species differentiation and the taxonomists are finding that what they thought were related plants aren't - and then they need new names.  Keeping up is a nightmare, even for people who've done some botanical studies in the past.

At long last, I got round to editing some macro shots I took in Far North Queensland. It was a housesit we did. It had a very large garden with tropical flowers/plants/shrubs/fruit. It was a delight. Shame about the Alamy watermark placement on some of them.

Our job was to look after 3 dogs and some prize chooks (Polish, etc) held in a spiffy chicken coop called 'Chook Mahal', complete with an electric door to keep pythons away. One chook died on us on our first day there...

Spiny Ants (Polyrhachis genus) on an Heliconia rostrata

2WYDX8J.jpg

Spiny Ant (Polyrhachis genus) on an Anthurium sp.

2WYDX75.jpg

Cricket on a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)

2WYDX9E.jpg

Heliconia rostrata

2WYDXBK.jpg

Plain Tiger Butterfly (Danaus chrysippus)

2WYDXD3.jpg

A Pioneer White Butterfly or Caper White (Belenois aurota) 

2WYDXDH.jpg

2WYDXEE.jpg

• Love 5
  • Like 2

I stayed in Cirencester recently and planned to photograph it on the morning we left. The weather had other plans. I could see blue sky, but every time I ventured out from under cover, the heavens opened up. I got very wet and frustrated, and the light was rubbish. At last the sun came out briefly and I managed to get this shot:

Grade I listed medieval St John the Baptist church and south porch, with perpendicular gothic architecture, reflected in puddles. Cirencester, UK - Image ID: 2WY056F

grade-i-listed-medieval-st-john-the-bapt

• Love 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

At long last, I got round to editing some macro shots I took in Far North Queensland. It was a housesit we did. It had a very large garden with tropical flowers/plants/shrubs/fruit. It was a delight. Shame about the Alamy watermark placement on some of them.

Our job was to look after 3 dogs and some prize chooks (Polish, etc) held in a spiffy chicken coop called 'Chook Mahal', complete with an electric door to keep pythons away. One chook died on us on our first day there...

Spiny Ants (Polyrhachis genus) on an Heliconia rostrata

2WYDX8J.jpg

Spiny Ant (Polyrhachis genus) on an Anthurium sp.

2WYDX75.jpg

Cricket on a Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)

2WYDX9E.jpg

Heliconia rostrata

2WYDXBK.jpg

2WYDXD3.jpg

A Pioneer White Butterfly or Caper White (Belenois aurota) 

2WYDXDH.jpg

2WYDXEE.jpg

Gorgeous butterfly pics!

Paulette

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Gorgeous butterfly pics!

Paulette

Thank you Paulette. Tomorrow, more birds.

13 hours ago, John Richmond said:

I usually check with the RHS website - they're pretty up to date with nomenclature.  The problem is that DNA analysis is now replacing the older types of species differentiation and the taxonomists are finding that what they thought were related plants aren't - and then they need new names.  Keeping up is a nightmare, even for people who've done some botanical studies in the past.

Thank you John.

Allan

Australian birds are a joy to photograph. Do they sell? No. Do they make me happy? Very. So here you go.

Striated Pardalote (Pardalotus striatus) 

2WYR3KF.jpg

2WYR3K3.jpg

Black-chinned Honeyeater or Golden-backed Honeyeater (Melithreptus gularis)

2WYR3H1.jpg

Double-barred Finch (Taeniopygia bichenovii) 

2WYR3R9.jpg

Male Mistletoebird (Dicaeum hirundinaceum)

2WYR55R.jpg

Galah (Cacatua roseicapilla)

2WYR4MC.jpg

Comb-crested Jacana (Irediparra gallinacea) 

2WYR4KN.jpg

A Willie Wagtail (Rhipidura leucophrys) 

2WYR4EP.jpg

Masked Lapwings (Vanellus miles)

2WYR4DN.jpg

• Love 3

7 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Australian birds are a joy to photograph. Do they sell? No. Do they make me happy? Very. So here you go.

A great philosophy. I also enjoy photographing things I know won't sell!

Gen, a question. I'm just curious, what lens do you do the bird shots with? I'm assuming it's longer than 400mm so must be pretty heavy?