April 2024 Favourite uploads

A bus conductor looks on as a customer gets off a vintage bus which has 'Manchester Corporation' text on the rear in central Manchester, UK. To celebrate 200 years of buses in Salford this month, the Manchester Transport Museum put on the ‘Omnibus‘ event, including a free bus ride from central Manchester to the museum on this 1939 AEC ‘Regent’, Salford 235 bus.

2X2AP2R.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday I was stuck in stand-still traffic while trying to get home after a shoot in Virginia.  Not a great picture but I asked my son to grab my camera out of the bag on the back seat and I snapped one frame of the headquarters of a major U.S. financial corporation, Capital One, in McLean, Virginia.  Hopefully it will sell to offset the extra gas I had to use...it took an hour and half for what should have been thirty minutes to get home.

usa-business-capitol-one-financial-corp-

• Like 1

I have a couple for once in a much larger town near me, had an opportunity so I took it. Also I don't know why I have to go through multiple steps to get the URL of these unless someone knows a quicker route...

unity-place-and-zurich-building-with-sig

travelodge-swindon-centrals-signage-and-

I might have improved since December 2023 but I'm still figuring out better tagging since I have no CTR at the moment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

Am not sure if there is still any reason to submit such images to Alamy nowadays

2X2WY3T.jpg

2X2WXK2.jpg

2WYGNCA.jpg

2WYGN7R.jpg

2WYGN84.jpg

2WYGN5D.jpg

2WYGN3C.jpg

2WYGN24.jpg

I hear you.  But thanks for sharing these wonderful photos with us.  I hope they do sell!

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

Am not sure if there is still any reason to submit such images to Alamy nowadays

2X2WY3T.jpg

2X2WXK2.jpg

2WYGNCA.jpg

2WYGN7R.jpg

2WYGN84.jpg

2WYGN5D.jpg

2WYGN3C.jpg

2WYGN24.jpg

I like the way you capture the movement. Not just a bird on a stick. (Like mine) Even the red-eared slider is swimming.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I like the way you capture the movement. Not just a bird on a stick. (Like mine) Even the red-eared slider is swimming.

Thanks, the baby-turtle is actually sunbathing on piles of algae at water surface 🙂

But otherwise yes, am a fan of an action...

The coyotes is a different story. Spent another month to bring this girl to the stage where I could photograph her manually, with a short lens, combining flashes with long exposure to show the stars.

Edited by IKuzmin

40 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

Thanks, the baby-turtle is actually sunbathing on piles of algae at water surface 🙂

But otherwise yes, am a fan of an action...

The coyotes is a different story. Spent another month to bring this girl to the stage where I could photograph her manually, with a short lens, combining flashes with long exposure to show the stars.

One thing about it. Whether they license or not, you must like the out-of-doors & nature, or you wouldn’t be taking these images. When I was more able-bodied, that was me.
I love to fish. I love catching fish. Whenever I’ve sat in a boat or on a bank, I don’t feel it was a wasted excursion if I don’t actually catch fish. I just love being out in nature. Watching fish leap, gulls swoop, and Great Blue Herons or egrets wade & fish.

Didn't much care for the Mayfly swarm while fishing off a bank in the dark, though. Hundreds of those soft bodies hitting me in the face & everywhere, leaving their juices behind.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

One thing about it. Whether they license or not, you must like the out-of-doors & nature, or you wouldn’t be taking these images. When I was more able-bodied, that was me.
I love to fish. I love catching fish. Whenever I’ve sat in a boat or on a bank, I don’t feel it was a wasted excursion if I don’t actually catch fish. I just love being out in nature. Watching fish leap, gulls swoop, and Great Blue Herons or egrets wade & fish.

Didn't much care for the Mayfly swarm while fishing off a bank in the dark, though. Hundreds of those soft bodies hitting me in the face & everywhere, leaving their juices behind.

For decades of my life and career I was doing field expeditions, related to wildlife, sometimes quite tough. And I was so happy (and busy, actually) with that job that did not pay much attention to photography. But I lost all that a ~decade ago, am now just a laboratory rat and a weekend photographer-hobbyist..

• Love 1

Since the invasion of South American Fire Ants (Solenopsis sp) in Australia seems to be in the news almost on a daily basis, I thought I would upload a few shots of my unfortunate experience with them.

I have avoided to show you gore, but if anyone is curious about the damage they inflict, you can search for 2X3B774 after the search engine update. Yes, that was me in the photo.

2X3B74W.jpg

2X3B76T.jpg

2X3B76J.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

Since the invasion of South American Fire Ants (Solenopsis sp) in Australia seems to be in the news almost on a daily basis, I thought I would upload a few shots of my unfortunate experience with them.

I have avoided to show you gore, but if anyone is curious about the damage they inflict, you can search for 2X3B774 after the search engine update. Yes, that was me in the photo.

2X3B74W.jpg

2X3B76T.jpg

2X3B76J.jpg

I wasn't able to see your photo of the fire ant damage yet Gen, but it sounds awful. I hope whatever was done is healing well. I have heard about them being a problem over there. I think I might stay and hide over here in WA 🙈

English Staffy puppy

a-close-up-of-a-playful-male-blue-englis

Coastal landscape at Stony Hill, Albany, WA

coastal-vegetation-and-granite-rocks-nea

Eastern Great Egret hunting and catching a snack

an-eastern-great-egret-ardea-alba-modest

Buchanan's Snake-eyed Skink

buchanans-snake-eyed-skink-cryptoblephar

Reflections from vegetation and sky on the surface of the Dove River, Cradle Mountain, Tasmania

reflections-from-vegetation-and-sky-maki

Cranbrook Bell, a rare flower endemic to Western Australia

cranbrook-bell-darwinia-meeboldii-a-wild

• Love 1
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

2X2WY3T.jpg

2X2WXK2.jpg

2WYGNCA.jpg

2WYGN7R.jpg

2WYGN84.jpg

2WYGN5D.jpg

2WYGN3C.jpg

2WYGN24.jpg

I love these beautiful images. Thank you for sharing them. The baby turtle is a cute little character.

• Thanks 1

A few more from me and then there will be a break until I have time to take more photos.

Remains of Bury St Edmunds Abbey, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

remains-of-bury-st-edmunds-abbey-bury-st

Abbots Bridge wall over the river Lark, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

abbots-bridge-wall-over-the-river-lark-b

Lace up footwear reduced in price, Blacks outdoor shop, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

lace-up-footwear-reduced-in-price-blacks

Three Yopa estate agency signs

three-yopa-estate-agency-signs-2X235C3.j

Looking east along Churchgate Street, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK

looking-east-along-churchgate-street-bur

Greggs bakery corner Westgate and Bailgate, Lincoln city, Lincolnshire, England, UK

greggs-bakery-corner-westgate-and-bailga

Fire beacon on pole, Abbey Gardens, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, UK 

fire-beacon-on-pole-abbey-gardens-bury-s

That is it for now.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

I wasn't able to see your photo of the fire ant damage yet Gen, but it sounds awful. I hope whatever was done is healing well. I have heard about them being a problem over there. I think I might stay and hide over here in WA 🙈

Those fire ants are a real pest. Their tunnels are up to 30m long. They all come up after the rain. Their bite is painful and the blisters are very itchy and painful. They last a week. You don't want those ants in your garden, I can tell you.

Huge neon signs and video display on the side of a building in Piccadilly Circus in London with pedestrians and a London bus in front. England, UK 

huge-neon-signs-and-video-display-on-the

• Like 3

On 26/04/2024 at 22:52, gvallee said:

Those fire ants are a real pest. Their tunnels are up to 30m long. They all come up after the rain. Their bite is painful and the blisters are very itchy and painful. They last a week. You don't want those ants in your garden, I can tell you.

After you mentioned it the other day I had a quick check just to see where they have been in Australia and I read that they did appear in WA in Fremantle in 2019 but were eradicated. I can imagine with some of the rain over east they would have been quite active recently. I hope the bites you had are well on the mend.

4 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

After you mentioned it the other day I had a quick check just to see where they have been in Australia and I read that they did appear in WA in Fremantle in 2019 but were eradicated. I can imagine with some of the rain over east they would have been quite active recently. I hope the bites you had are well on the mend.

WA is lucky that eradication worked. I wonder if QLD is losing the battle. My bites have all healed now thank you, they weren't a pretty sight.

• Love 1

A few of my favourites from this month.

Brown hare

brown-hare-lepus-europaeus-close-up-in-g

Lamb and ewe

young-lamb-standing-beside-grazing-mothe

Fox vixen moving cub to new den (through my garden)

fox-vixen-vulpes-vulpes-moving-a-cub-by-

Tulips at West Dean Gardens

colourful-tulips-and-historic-glasshouse

• Love 3