March 2024 favourite uploads

Finally, after 9 months, a few from me from Split.

Roman mosaic of Triton from the governor's palace at Salona.

2WNA8BC.jpg

Temple of Jupiter

2WNA8B3.jpg

The Romans are coming- actually they never left Diocletian's Palace.

2WNA880.jpg

And.........you'd expect no less from me, am I right..........?

2WNA7PX.jpg

Roman "sarcophagus of the Good Shepherd", early C4, Christian or transitional pagan

2WNA8B1.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Uploaded 29th Feb. Passed QC 1st March.

Lincolns earliest brick built house, 11 Minster Yard, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lincolns-earliest-brick-built-house-11-m

Bell tower of St Peter of Eastgate Lincoln, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

bell-tower-of-st-peter-of-eastgate-linco

Man delivering balloons to the Lincoln Hotel Eastgate, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

man-delivering-balloons-to-the-lincoln-h

White haired man walking two dogs along country lane on misty day, Green Lane, Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK

white-haired-man-walking-two-dogs-along-

Stone built medieval house, 12 Minster Yard, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

stone-built-medieval-house-12-minster-ya

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mmm brutalism rules in Split!

Ulica Šime Ljubića, by Dinko Kovačić, 1972

2WNE2KN.jpg

2WNE2M5.jpg

Church of St. Joseph, Odeska Ulica

2WNE32E.jpg

It doesn't get any better than this- a brutalist brewpub

2WNE2W5.jpg

2WNE2WN.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

After a long weekend trip to Florida, last weekend, I took a few snaps along the way.  I was visiting friends and family, so shooting stock took a backseat.

Lido beach on Lido Key, Sarasota

usa-florida-fl-sarasota-lido-beach-on-li

People dancing to live music at The Villages retirement community, where my brother and his wife live.

usa-florida-fl-the-villages-retirement-c

And a couple of pics taken at my friend's bakery in Baltimore, Maryland, a few weeks ago.  They sent me home with a big bag of goodies!

food-bakery-raw-and-baked-croissants-at-

• Love 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

After a long weekend trip to Florida, last weekend, I took a few snaps along the way.  I was visiting friends and family, so shooting stock took a backseat.

Lido beach on Lido Key, Sarasota

usa-florida-fl-sarasota-lido-beach-on-li

People dancing to live music at The Villages retirement community, where my brother and his wife live.

usa-florida-fl-the-villages-retirement-c

And a couple of pics taken at my friend's bakery in Baltimore, Maryland, a few weeks ago.  They sent me home with a big bag of goodies!

As they say, it’s a very small world. My parents owned a place at Longboat Key, to the north of Lido Beach, for many years. I eventually sold it, and my kids have never forgiven me. They still spend a lot of time in the area, and love to eat at St. Arman’s. Plus, my sister and brother in-law love The Villages. They don’t own there because they travel around in a large motor home, but they try to spend as much time as possible nearby, and visit often to dance.

Nice pics! The croissants look very tasty, too.

Edited by Cecile Marion

6 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

As they say, it’s a very small world. My parents owned a place at Longboat Key, to the north of Lido Beach, for many years. I eventually sold it, and my kids have never forgiven me. They still spend a lot of time in the area, and love to eat at St. Arman’s. Plus, my sister and brother in-law love The Villages. They don’t own there because they travel around in a large motor home, but they try to spend as much time as possible nearby, and visit often to dance.

Nice pics! The croissants look very tasty, too.

I do like Sarasota.  My old photographer boss (worked for him back in the early 80s) has a home there, built by the Ringling family, way back when, for employees.  There is a whole neighborhood of Ringling homes, next to The Ringling School of Art and Design.  My brother, and his wife, moved to The Villages two years ago and absolutely love it there (not my cup of tea), they both play golf 4 days a week and are involved is all sorts of social gatherings.  They have been nudging me to visit for a while now, so I got that done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cecile Marion said:

Many people absolutely love The Villages, but not my cup of tea either. I lean more blue than most of the folks there. 

You may not be aware that the colours are reversed over here.

18 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

No, I wasn’t. Thanks for enlightening me. Good to know. 

Something to do with "The Red Flag". The US appears to be unique, but it seems to be a recent invention. wikipedia says it wasn't a thing until about 2000.

Politics aside, I don't golf, the homes all look alike and it is too far from any major sea or ocean.  Oh, and I seldomly drink alcohol.  My brothers says  "The Villages is a drinking community with a golfing problem".   He wasn't a big drinker until moving there.  He says there is alcohol everywhere, all the time.  Not that you HAVE to drink.

Edited by Michael Ventura

I live a little over an hour to the north of The Villages and, one thing I like about that part of Florida from The Villages north is the rolling terrain, green vegetation, forests, etc. Of course, I think my local area is much more scenic. We have numerous lakes, rivers and springs. It also takes 75 minutes to drive to the Gulf of Mexico and slightly more to drive to the Atlantic Ocean. Not a bad place to live. 

Innamincka is a 25 soul Outback community in South Australia, surrounded by the Strzelecki Desert.

One interesting fact: behind its old pub was a pile of bottles, principally rum, whisky and beer, transported overland by Afghan cameleers. 200m in length and over 2 metres high, the bottle pile of empties was Heritage-listed in the 1920s, and later its glinting in the sun provided a landing beacon for the mail plane. A stupendous flood in 1956 carried most of the pile away towards Lake Eyre!

2WNHDNT.jpg

2WNHDH5.jpg

2WNHG8W.jpg

2WNHG5T.jpg

2WNHEN0.jpg

2WNHFG7.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

R U OK? is a suicide prevention charity in Australia, encouraging everyone to notice the signs of mental health struggle in friends, family, and colleagues.

The search for it on Alamy  is a real PITA.

Single letters ‘r’ and ‘u’ are not searchable, which leaves only ‘OK’ and returns false positives.

‘Are You OK’ is not any better, as both ‘Are’ and ‘You’ are again not searchable. This leaves OK again.

The only way is to use quotes “R U OK?” (14 hits) or “R U OK” (27 Hits). Will the buyers remember? Hmm….

2WP6PK8.jpg

2WP6PR2.jpg

A quirky way to attract tourists with a pink piano complete with LPs by the side of the road. The keyboard was full of biting ants.

2WP6WB8.jpg

2WP6W29.jpg

Edward John Eyre sculptures are a tribute to the explorer and indigenous men, Kimba, South Australia, Australia

2WP6WPR.jpg

2WP6WHH.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Zorki 4 35mm rangefinder camera

zorki-4-35mm-rangefinder-camera-2WNY580.

Zenit 3M 35mm camera with through the lens viewfinder

zenit-3m-35mm-camera-with-through-the-le

Kiev 4A Type 2 35mm Rangefinder camera

kiev-4a-type-2-35mm-rangefinder-camera-2

Ihagee Exakta type 5.2 120 film camera 

ihagee-exakta-type-52-120-film-camera-2W

Canon model III 35mm Rangefinder Camera

canon-model-iii-35mm-rangefinder-camera-

Some from my collection.

More later when I have time.

Allan

• Love 4

A few recent uploads..

A view along the Severn Estuary from Clevedon to the second Severn crossing. England on the right, South Wales to the left

2WN58CY.jpg

Hill Road Clevedon. 

2WN58D8.jpg

Gloucester Road, Bristol. A reminder for Mothers day this Sunday

2WP424N.jpg

Indoor Crocus

2WP37N2.jpg

Some home crafting

2WM0P3G.jpg

One expensive paint colour palette

2WKTM4F.jpg

An old original ITV digital Munkeh. They were used as part of an advertising campaign by ITV Digital until it all went wrong. We rescued him from a Charity shop but I'm guessing he'll soon be re-homed as soon as one of the grandchildren spot him 😀

2WKTM6Y.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Like 2

Roman legionaries outside the Golden Gate, Split, Croatia

2WNE38G.jpg

The peristyle of Diocletian's Palace

2WNE38H.jpg

St. Joseph's Church by Dinko Kovačić, 1982, Odeska Ulica, Split 3

2WNE32E.jpg

• Love 1

What with the Fog, Snow, rain and Rivers of Mud it made a great day shooting on the VSCC John Harris Derbyshire trial😊

2WNEEJD.jpg

2WP3GY8.jpg

2WP3GKE.jpg

2WP3GP5.jpg

2WP3GBP.jpg

2WP3G3M.jpg2WP3GGK.jpg

2WNEE47.jpg2WNEDNE.jpg

2WNED57.jpg

2WNEDGN.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 2

The Old Ghan railway line at Parachilna, South Australia. Very clever.

2WPJHGA.jpg

2WPJHR7.jpg

Local cuisine

2WPJJ0N.jpg

Historic Bush cemetery

2WPJGJN.jpg

• Love 2

Nathan Griggs, AKA ‘Whippy’, is the whip cracker world record holder for the most whip cracks in a minute with two whips, currently at 697 cracks.

His show is very entertaining, full of humour and skill. Not to mention the grand finale when he sets his whip on fire. Great show!

2WPJJT9.jpg

2WPJK6A.jpg

2WPJK6K.jpg

2WPJK4E.jpg

• Love 2

Been wanting to photograph a couple of landmarks for a while. Thought I was going to have to wait until the summer, but managed to get a cloudless night when I actually had some time!

Think I waited too long here and the sky is a bit too dark. Maybe I'll try retaking it with a brighter sky. Had to do a fair bit of editing. The stone obelisk at the bottom is really lit up, the statue on top not at all.

first-and-second-world-war-monument-with

the-illuminated-triumphal-gates-in-the-e