March 2024 favourite uploads

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Love the vest pocket camera... though I have no vest pockets.. or even vests. It's a man's world.

Paulette

In the days when that camera was made I believe a vest(American) referred to a waistcoat (British). Not the modern vest worn under a shirt when the weather turns cold. But I am sure you knew that.

Allan

On a recent trip to the city I enjoyed limiting myself to one lens, a wide angle zoom. I was working with 8-16mm and having that set limitation I find helps with creativity and exploring options within limitations. There is a convict-built building in Perth constructed from 1856-1860 known as the Cloisters building. I was impressed with its decorative brickwork. I also really liked the Port Jackson Fig Tree located next to it within the area of The Rusty Fig restaurant. Both the building and tree are heritage-listed. Shooting at the wider end I could get some of the canopy of the fig tree. It's lovely to see such an old tree with character in the middle of a city.

the-historical-cloisters-building-constr

the-rusty-fig-restaurant-with-an-old-por

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

On a recent trip to the city I enjoyed limiting myself to one lens, a wide angle zoom. I was working with 8-16mm and having that set limitation I find helps with creativity and exploring options within limitations. There is a convict-built building in Perth constructed from 1856-1860 known as the Cloisters building. I was impressed with its decorative brickwork. I also really liked the Port Jackson Fig Tree located next to it within the area of The Rusty Fig restaurant. Both the building and tree are heritage-listed. Shooting at the wider end I could get some of the canopy of the fig tree. It's lovely to see such an old tree with character in the middle of a city.

Nice shots Perth is a really lovely city Went there in 2019 but missed out on a lot of it Hope to go back sometime to explore more of Perth and also go up to Karratha too  

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Really beautiful brick work & design.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

revolver-a-music-bar-in-the-cavern-quart

A block away from me but I made it there and back. 

after I climb the 16 steps to my apartment I immediately sit for a while. Very restorative. 

Paulette

On 27/03/2024 at 11:29, Allan Bell said:

In the days when that camera was made I believe a vest(American) referred to a waistcoat (British). Not the modern vest worn under a shirt when the weather turns cold. But I am sure you knew that.

Allan

Never knew of any kind of vest worn under a shirt in cold weather here. A tee shirt or insulated underwear would be what’s worn. The suit vest at one time was part of a 3 piece suit, but that fashion is in and out, more out. Not so popular. I’ve always thought them a bit pretentious-looking myself, but who am I to comment on mens’ fashions?  We never attended pretentious affairs.

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

after I climb the 16 steps to my apartment I immediately sit for a while. Very restorative. 

Paulette

2 flights? Quite a climb with groceries or packages. Keeps you healthy!

One flight. My biggest problem is taking my cat down in her carrier to go to the vet. It turns out she weighs 17 pounds. I'm to get her down to 13. Fortunately, she is not wildly devoted to food so I think it won't be too hard. Coming back home I can prop my door open and then let her walk up home. I do sometimes have to consider how many heavy things I am buying at the grocery store. I have the catfood and litter delivered. The cat-sitting has me walking 2 to 4 miles most days. I do a lot of sitting when I get to my sweet clients. NO dog walking.

Paulette

• Love 2

Four miles for a lady is about 10,000 steps. I used to do 10,000 steps a day, now I try to do 4,000. That is the new recommendation for someone my age. I'm on the first floor of my building. But that's 3 flights up. A high lobby ceiling. The elevator is my friend. Pussy cats can be heavy. But they're not Bernese Mountain Dogs. 

• Love 2

21 hours ago, Alexander Hogg said:

Nice shots Perth is a really lovely city Went there in 2019 but missed out on a lot of it Hope to go back sometime to explore more of Perth and also go up to Karratha too  

Thank you Alexander. Perth seems to have been undergoing continuous renewal projects for some years now. Currently a university is being built in the city. Hopefully if you visit the projects may have settled down and it's all kind of finished. I've never been to Karratha. The furthest north I've been is Exmouth. But I'd love to see the Pilbara country up there. Millstream-Chichester National Park is fairly close to Karratha and Karijini National Park a few hours away. And of course The Kimberley region further north is stunning and another whole adventure in itself. I know I will eventually venture to the Pilbara and Kimberley at some point. I hope you get a chance to visit and explore.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, John Richmond said:

A few for the end of the month.  All at The Garden House:

early-spring-views-at-the-garden-house-b

early-spring-views-at-the-garden-house-b

deep-pink-flowers-of-the-hardy-evergreen

John, I love these photos. It makes me want to be there. I feel I could almost walk into them. It must be a lovely time for you at the moment as gardens come to life in Spring with colour. It's nice seeing green countryside too as we are in a long dry spell here in this part of Western Australia and rain and greenery is starting to feel like a distant memory. The plants here are just crying out for rain. So seeing all that green where you are is lovely.

31 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

Thank you Alexander. Perth seems to have been undergoing continuous renewal projects for some years now. Currently a university is being built in the city. Hopefully if you visit the projects may have settled down and it's all kind of finished. I've never been to Karratha. The furthest north I've been is Exmouth. But I'd love to see the Pilbara country up there. Millstream-Chichester National Park is fairly close to Karratha and Karijini National Park a few hours away. And of course The Kimberley region further north is stunning and another whole adventure in itself. I know I will eventually venture to the Pilbara and Kimberley at some point. I hope you get a chance to visit and explore.

Did come over to Australia last year and went to Sydney Broken Hill and Brisbane and had a great time so it will be another 3 or 4 years before I get the chance to come back Love Australia 

• Love 1

10 hours ago, NYCat said:

I look after a Norwegian Forest Cat. He’s a big one. Looks very much like a Maine Coon Cat. 

Paulette

Oh, those are two big hairy kitties. 😃

3 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

John, I love these photos. It makes me want to be there. I feel I could almost walk into them. It must be a lovely time for you at the moment as gardens come to life in Spring with colour. It's nice seeing green countryside too as we are in a long dry spell here in this part of Western Australia and rain and greenery is starting to feel like a distant memory. The plants here are just crying out for rain. So seeing all that green where you are is lovely.

Thanks Sally

It is a magical place, run as a charitable trust and I'm glad to be a volunteer there to help preserve the garden.  The ethos of garden's founders, Lionel and Nancy Fortescue,, to grow only the best still prevails and as a gardener as well as a photographer I really appreciate that. It's not always fun, though.  On the day I took those photos we had rain, light overcast, dark overcast, hail and the occasional bit of sun and warmth. Standard edge of Dartmoor four seasons in a day stuff - but challenging photographically!

• Love 1

5 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Thanks Sally

It is a magical place, run as a charitable trust and I'm glad to be a volunteer there to help preserve the garden.  The ethos of garden's founders, Lionel and Nancy Fortescue,, to grow only the best still prevails and as a gardener as well as a photographer I really appreciate that. It's not always fun, though.  On the day I took those photos we had rain, light overcast, dark overcast, hail and the occasional bit of sun and warmth. Standard edge of Dartmoor four seasons in a day stuff - but challenging photographically!

Sounds like Oklahoma & Kansas weather! 😆 occasionally throw in a tornado warning.

21 hours ago, NYCat said:

One flight. My biggest problem is taking my cat down in her carrier to go to the vet. It turns out she weighs 17 pounds. I'm to get her down to 13. Fortunately, she is not wildly devoted to food so I think it won't be too hard. Coming back home I can prop my door open and then let her walk up home. I do sometimes have to consider how many heavy things I am buying at the grocery store. I have the catfood and litter delivered. The cat-sitting has me walking 2 to 4 miles most days. I do a lot of sitting when I get to my sweet clients. NO dog walking.

Paulette

17 pounds! My little Yorkie I used to have was 5 1/2 pounds at her heaviest, usually just 5 lbs. Your cat = 3 dogs! 😁 probably 1/4 of that was hair!

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

17 pounds! My little Yorkie I used to have was 5 1/2 pounds at her heaviest, usually just 5 lbs. Your cat = 3 dogs! 😁 probably 1/4 of that was hair!

She does have long hair so her fat doesn’t show. Unlike mine. 

Paulette 

I shall key word this one "man in turban driving a red car through a flood". I was going to keyword it "man in yellow turban driving a red car through a flood" but I don't want to mess up my CTR.

Happy Chocolate Day every one.

2wxa9e6.jpg
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I shall key word this one "man in turban driving a red car through a flood". I was going to keyword it "man in yellow turban driving a red car through a flood" but I don't want to mess up my CTR.

Happy Chocolate Day every one.

2wxa9e6.jpg

Quite surprised he made it to your side chucking up a wake like that.

8 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

I shall key word this one "man in turban...I was going to keyword it "man in yellow turban...

"I  was going to keyword it "man in yellow turban..."

worried about CTR?
in = 121M hits
replace "in" with "wearing" IMO;
(people wear hats, they are not in hats...?)
yellow has significance so, IMO, process it to
show better but not in an unbelievable way...