March 2024 favourite uploads

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sometimes I wish I had gone for a smaller (less rooms) property but pleased I did not as I hardly have room enough now for all I want to do.

Half of the dining table is taken up with a copy stand, which I built, and another quarter of the table is taken up with a plank on frame model of the Mayflower in progress.

The coffee table is used to support my white background for product photography.

Allan

I wouldn’t have wanted this much room on my own. Bought it while my husband was alive & we had lots of family come visit. I still do. My son is coming in a week or so. I decorated/renovated to my taste & I love it. If & when I can’t clean it on my own, I’ll move to something smaller. Not yet, though.

8 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Lovely images Sally and nice blue sky’s. 😎

Thank you Steve. Yes, the skies in Perth are often blue like that. It's a really stunning blue. It sometimes gets hazy when there are prescribed burns to prevent bushfires, or actual bushfires, but otherwise there are many clear days of blue sky and sunshine. The ocean is a beautiful turquoise on the coast too.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

I love the old buildings too Betty. I can admire some of the new ones but they are certainly very different. In the recent Western Australian Museum redevelopment they built the new structure kind of over the older buildings which you can see here:

the-western-australian-museum-boola-bard

The old building on the right houses a huge blue whale skeleton that has been at the museum since I was a little kid. It used to be in the 1970s part of the museum that has now been demolished. So the museum is now a mix of the very new (opened in 2020) and the oldest buildings which were built in the late 1800s/early 1900s.

Nowadays, people build in a way to save money. The old buildings not only used construction workers, but artisans who put in the stuff around doors & windows, the eaves even that made them beautiful. 
This is the elementary school my 3 children went to, grades 1 through 6. Collegiate Gothic style I think.

KA3ANY.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cbimages said:

I love the range of colours these seahorses come in. Such a vibrant yellow, and the white bands showing bright orange spots and lines.

thorny-seahorse-also-known-as-spiny-seah

I saw something "weird" happening out of the corner of my eye, in an area mainly known for small macro stuff. There was swirling sand, something waving about, bits of algae floating around. So, naturally, we swam over to see what it was all about. Napoleon Snake Eels live buried in the sand, just their heads poking out, waiting for a meal to come past. And this snake eel had won the jackpot, snagging a banded snake eel which must have been out hunting. The banded was caught firmly by the Napoleon and fighting for it's life. Not easy taking a still, especially with a 100 macro lens, with animals swirling, and all the substrate disturbed, and this is the only decent one. And the drama of the moment not really caught either. But hubby has some amazing video.
napoleon-snake-eel-ophichthus-bonaparti-

I absolutely love your underwater images! How amazing to get one eel catching another. The colours are absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing them. I enjoy snorkelling but don't think I'll ever be a scuba diver, so it's wonderful to see that world captured so beautifully.

• Love 1

34 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Nowadays, people build in a way to save money. The old buildings not only used construction workers, but artisans who put in the stuff around doors & window, the eaves even that made them beautiful. 

That is so true Betty. It is like vintage cars, they are works of art not just feats of engineering. The artistic component was considered really important. So much eloquent detail went into old buildings. They had a kind of grace, whereas I'm not sure grace is a word that can be applied to concrete, glass and steel in the streamlined forms they take today. 

Just seeing the photo of your children's elementary school building now. Yes, so much detail everywhere. When I have been keyboarding historical buildings I have been learning some of the names of the ornate architectural structures. I feel like architects of the time needed both their left and right brains to be working together to consider the practical engineering and structural issues along with the creative, artistic components. And as you say real artisans were needed to create the ornate structures. I imagine there was a real sense of pride in completed buildings that were works of art.

Edited by Sally Robertson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Thank you Steve. Yes, the skies in Perth are often blue like that. It's a really stunning blue. It sometimes gets hazy when there are prescribed burns to prevent bushfires, or actual bushfires, but otherwise there are many clear days of blue sky and sunshine. The ocean is a beautiful turquoise on the coast too.

I envy those blue skies Sally. Fed up with pretty constant grey, wet weather in the UK we booked a last minute holiday deal two weeks ago and we’re currently in Cyprus trying to find some sun. This was yesterday lol 😜 (excuse the edit, it was straight from the camera and quickly whacked through Snapseed on my iPad).

53612230489_6f50e6da68_b.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

I envy those blue skies Sally. Fed up with pretty constant grey, wet weather in the UK we booked a last minute holiday deal two weeks ago and we’re currently in Cyprus trying to find some sun. This was yesterday lol 😜 (excuse the edit, it was quickly wacked through Snapseed on my iPad).

To cheer you up Steve. Usually, blue skies are the norm as in Sally's image. At least for grey nomads like us who follow the sun. However, Oz just had 4 cyclones in 3 months. Most of the inland and some coastal roads are flooded and closed. This includes 'highways', a big word for Australia, more like a standard road elsewhere. These highways are the only roads in between vast areas. I mean several thousand kms. One area in the north has been cut off from the rest of the world now for 4 months. They're going stir crazy. As I speak, if I step out of my motorhome, I'll have water up to my ankles. I'm still happy though! Not a complaint. If it gets worse, we could use the snorkelling gear we just bought for our forecoming trip to French Polynesia 😀

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I envy those blue skies Sally. Fed up with pretty constant grey, wet weather in the UK we booked a last minute holiday deal two weeks ago and we’re currently in Cyprus trying to find some sun. This was yesterday lol 😜 (excuse the edit, it was straight from the camera and quickly whacked through Snapseed on my iPad).

I hope you do get some blue skies there Steve. But at least that one looks a bit interesting with the clouds looking a little storm-like which is a nice contrast with the white building.

Parts of the southern coast can get more cloudy here and Tasmania as well where it can be pretty moody. But as Gen says, there’s cyclone season too and plenty of cloudy and rainy conditions that can happen. I once saw a list of the amount of sunshine in Australia’s capital cities and Perth was at the top. I just googled about that and read that Perth is apparently the sunniest city in the world! So I feel privileged to have grown up there. I now live a few hours south and it gets a bit cloudier but still many sunny, blue sky days. If anything right now we need some rain to break the drought. The trees and plants could really do with it.

Hope you have a lovely, relaxing holiday in Cyprus.

Edit: I’ve just read that Darwin and Alice Springs get more clear days, so I think it depends on what is being measured and how. Maybe sunny days is different to clear (no rain) days? The Perth climate is described as Mediterranean so really like where you are now. The coastal rocks are made of limestone and do look a bit like parts of the Mediterranean.

Edited by Sally Robertson
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

To cheer you up Steve. Usually, blue skies are the norm as in Sally's image. At least for grey nomads like us who follow the sun. However, Oz just had 4 cyclones in 3 months. Most of the inland and some coastal roads are flooded and closed. This includes 'highways', a big word for Australia, more like a standard road elsewhere. These highways are the only roads in between vast areas. I mean several thousand kms. One area in the north has been cut off from the rest of the world now for 4 months. They're going stir crazy. As I speak, if I step out of my motorhome, I'll have water up to my ankles. I'm still happy though! Not a complaint. If it gets worse, we could use the snorkelling gear we just bought for our forecoming trip to French Polynesia 😀

Thanks Gen, I know we’re notorious for moaning about the weather in the UK but we are spared the extremes of wet, hot, humid and cold conditions in other parts of the world. I do admire the way you just get on and deal with everything your road trip has thrown at you. Do you have an underwater camera for your snorkelling trip? 

Edited by Steve Hyde

8 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

I hope you do get some blue skies there Steve. But at least that one looks a bit interesting with the clouds looking a little storm-like which is a nice contrast with the white building.

Parts of the southern coast can get more cloudy here and Tasmania as well where it can be pretty moody. But as Gen says, there’s cyclone season too and plenty of cloudy and rainy conditions that can happen. I once saw a list of the amount of sunshine in Australia’s capital cities and Perth was at the top. I just googled about that and read that Perth is apparently the sunniest city in the world! So I feel privileged to have grown up there. I now live a few hours south and it gets a bit cloudier but still many sunny, blue sky days. If anything right now we need some rain to break the drought. The trees and plants could really do with it.

Hope you have a lovely, relaxing holiday in Cyprus.

Edit: I’ve just read that Darwin and Alice Springs get more clear days, so I think it depends on what is being measured and how. Maybe sunny days is different to clear (no rain) days? The Perth climate is described as Mediterranean so really like where you are now. The coastal rocks are made of limestone and do look a bit like parts of the Mediterranean.

Thanks Sally, you’re always so positive which is brilliant 🤩 

The weather has been pretty good to us whilst we’ve been here. Part sunny, most days, but with quite strong winds. It’s been T shirt and shorts weather in the day, even in the light rain yesterday, so I can’t complain. Perth looks lovely. We hope to get there one day. 

Cyprus is on the Eastern Mediterranean but the island is a strange mix of British, Greek and Turkish influences. We’re in Paphos on the South West side. It’s our first visit here and it’s odd seeing familiar things from back in the UK. Today we saw a very English thing, Morris Dancers on the Old Harbour Promenade. Quite at home in an English Country Fair or a Folk Festival but in Cyprus, entertaining, but quite a surprise 😮 

53612809658_0951266584_b.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Steve Hyde said:

The weather has been pretty good to us whilst we’ve been here. Part sunny, most days, but with quite strong winds. It’s been T shirt and shorts weather in the day, even in the light rain yesterday, so I can’t complain. Perth looks lovely. We hope to get there one day. 

Cyprus is on the Eastern Mediterranean but the island is a strange mix of British, Greek and Turkish influences. We’re in Paphos on the South West side. It’s our first visit here and it’s odd seeing familiar things from back in the UK. Today we saw a very English thing, Morris Dancers on the Old Harbour Promenade. If you’re not familiar with the concept it’s men or woman, with bells attached to their lower legs, dancing about to music and hitting sticks together. Quite at home in an English Country Fair or a Folk Festival but in Cyprus, entertaining, but quite a surprise 😮 

I have this faint memory of doing Morris Dancing in school as a child in Southern California. Why? I don't know but it was a lot of fun. I hated all the physical education games. Nobody wanted me on their team and I would invariably be hit by a ball. But Morris Dancing was terrific.

Paulette

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

I absolutely love your underwater images! How amazing to get one eel catching another. The colours are absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing them. I enjoy snorkelling but don't think I'll ever be a scuba diver, so it's wonderful to see that world captured so beautifully.

Many thanks Sally.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Thanks Gen, I know we’re notorious for moaning about the weather in the UK but we are spared the extremes of wet, hot, humid and cold conditions in other parts of the world. I do admire the way you just get on and deal with everything your road trip has thrown at you. Do you have an underwater camera for your snorkelling trip? 

I use my GoPro with an underwater housing. It took the image I licensed for the highest ever fee on Alamy $$$$.

We've just been evacuated. Our campsite had 3 creeks nearby raising by 2 metres every half-hour. Flood alert for the area. Could use my GoPro I suppose 😀

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

I use my GoPro with an underwater housing. It took the image I licensed for the highest ever fee on Alamy $$$$.

We've just been evacuated. Our campsite had 3 creeks nearby raising by 2 metres every half-hour. Flood alert for the area. Could use my GoPro I suppose 😀

Crickey, GoPro and the snorkel 😮

Let’s hope you can get back to the van soon. The only TV channel we get here is BBC World News. They’ve just shown the world weather report. Most of the rain has cleared across Australia, just a big splodge across Queensland. I suppose it takes a long time for all the water to filter through the water courses after the amount of rain you’ve had there.

Edited by Steve Hyde

1 hour ago, Steve Hyde said:

Let’s hope you can get back to the van soon. The only TV channel we get here is BBC World News. They’ve just shown the world weather report. Most of the rain has cleared across Australia, just a big splodge across Queensland. I suppose it takes a long time for all the water to filter through the water courses after the amount of rain you’ve had there.

Queensland is where we are at the mo. We're still in the van. Drove away 1h30 south. Easter weekend is forecast to be a total washout. The tail end of ex-tropical cyclone Megan. Our van is equipped with a snorkel and breathers for diff, gearbox and the 4x4 transmission, so we can be in the water up to the chassis. Our bus has also been lifted. It doesn't mean much in the wake of recent mega flooding.

It's a great show to see some major rivers flowing into Lake Eyre after travelling months. There are great scenic flights to photograph the event and its  amazing patterns on the ground. Then pelicans and other birds arrive. How do they know? Lake Eyre is a dry lake in the middle of the desert.

Edited by gvallee

17 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

Cyprus is on the Eastern Mediterranean but the island is a strange mix of British, Greek and Turkish influences. We’re in Paphos on the South West side. It’s our first visit here and it’s odd seeing familiar things from back in the UK. Today we saw a very English thing, Morris Dancers on the Old Harbour Promenade. Quite at home in an English Country Fair or a Folk Festival but in Cyprus, entertaining, but quite a surprise 😮 

Aww thanks Steve, you're always positive too! Yes, fancy seeing Morris dancers! We do sometimes see them here at folk music festivals.

It's interesting the mix of British, Greek and Turkish influences there. One thing about being in the UK is you are a reasonably short plane flight from various other countries. Perth is a very isolated city so going overseas feels epic. Even going to New Zealand from Perth is a very long way.

Hopefully you can continue to enjoy warm weather and maybe the winds will settle a bit too. Sometimes that part sun can be good for photography, neither too bright and contrasty nor too dull. Have a lovely rest of your holiday 😀

• Love 2

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Queensland is where we are at the mo. We're still in the van. Drove away 1h30 south. Easter weekend is forecast to be a total washout. The tail end of ex-tropical cyclone Megan. Our van is equipped with a snorkel and breathers for diff, gearbox and the 4x4 transmission, so we can be in the water up to the chassis. Our bus has also been lifted. It doesn't mean much in the wake of recent mega flooding.

It's a great show to see some major rivers flowing into Lake Eyre after travelling months. There are great scenic flights to photograph the event and its  amazing patterns on the ground. Then pelicans and other birds arrive. How do they know? Lake Eyre is a dry lake in the middle of the desert.

I hope you go ok in the wet Gen. Hopefully it may provide some good photo opportunities. It could be a theme of "soggy Easter".

I would love to see Lake Eyre when it is filling with water and all the water birds are arriving. It has to be one of the wonders of Australia.

All the best and hopefully no serious flooding in the next few days. Take care.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely chucking it down in Bristol at the moment.  !!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

I hope you go ok in the wet Gen. Hopefully it may provide some good photo opportunities. It could be a theme of "soggy Easter".

I would love to see Lake Eyre when it is filling with water and all the water birds are arriving. It has to be one of the wonders of Australia.

All the best and hopefully no serious flooding in the next few days. Take care.

Thank you Sally. We're starting a new housesit tomorrow for 2 weeks, so will have solid walls to retreat if need be. No photography planned until Polynesia. It gives me time to catch up on my backlog. 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Sally. We're starting a new housesit tomorrow for 2 weeks, so will have solid walls to retreat if need be. No photography planned until Polynesia. It gives me time to catch up on my backlog. 

That sounds like a good plan! The backlog can get out of control if not attended to. I have Covid at the moment which is keeping me at home and making me do processing, uploading and keywording, which is a good thing.

I'm very excited to hear about your Polynesia adventure and can't wait to see the images from it!

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Absolutely chucking it down in Bristol at the moment.  !!!!

Excellent, we’ll have our raincoats ready for the walk from the airport terminal to the car. Actually we’ve been keeping a close eye on the weather at home. We have visitors for the weekend and my brother in law is keen to go into the Brecons and climb Pen Y Fan on Saturday. It’s looking like that might be a wet walk but good for a few adverse weather stock shots 🙂

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

That sounds like a good plan! The backlog can get out of control if not attended to. I have Covid at the moment which is keeping me at home and making me do processing, uploading and keywording, which is a good thing.

I'm very excited to hear about your Polynesia adventure and can't wait to see the images from it!

Covid is nasty. Hope you recover soon. 

• Love 2

20 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Covid is nasty. Hope you recover soon. 

Thanks Gen. It was nasty the first few days and now it is more some fatigue, a cough and sore lymph nodes. I hope you've managed to keep out of Covid's way. Being on the road in remote places is definitely a plus in minimising exposure.

• Like 1

Ensign Ful-Vue box camera

ensign-ful-vue-box-camera-2WWD111.jpg

Ensign Midget bellows camera

ensign-midget-bellows-camera-2WWD11H.jpg

Ensign Ful-vue roll film camera

ensign-ful-vue-roll-film-camera-2WWD117.

Kodak Rettinette 1B (Type 037) camerakodak-rettinette-1b-type-037-camera-2WWD

first African Daisy to blossom among buds

first-african-daisy-to-blossom-among-bud

Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic camera 

kodak-vest-pocket-autographic-camera-2WW

Six Red Arrows jets flying in formation over village, Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK

six-red-arrows-jets-flying-in-formation-

Threw in a couple of different photos in case you are getting fed up of camera photos.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1