Who would you invite to the forum?

geogphotos

Question

And why....

I would go for Greg Balfour Evans

His name appears regularly in the images found threads and he has over 96,000 images on Alamy ( all under that name), the most recent being in February 2024 of Hawaii. He clearly travels a lot because prior to Hawaii there are pics of Guatemala and Central America in January 2024.

Also, he used to run an agency to which I contributed in the early 1990s! ( though never had any sales). To his credit when that agency struggled and eventually closed he hung on to the slides and I was able to get them returned a few years later. I do remember the agency address gradually changing from central London to less grand locations....

I think he is from New Zealand originally and has a story or two to tell about stock photography.

A recent sale reported which will lead you to his pics

Greg Balfour Evans  Ship Hotel Senigallia on banks of River Vardar, Skopje,  North Macedonia R0FDXA

Greg, you are warmly invited to join the forum.

• Like 4

On 22/02/2024 at 07:39, geogphotos said:

And why....

I would go for Greg Balfour Evans

His name appears regularly in the images found threads and he has over 96,000 images on Alamy ( all under that name), the most recent being in February 2024 of Hawaii. He clearly travels a lot because prior to Hawaii there are pics of Guatemala and Central America in January 2024.

Also, he used to run an agency to which I contributed in the early 1990s! ( though never had any sales). To his credit when that agency struggled and eventually closed he hung on to the slides and I was able to get them returned a few years later. I do remember the agency address gradually changing from central London to less grand locations....

I think he is from New Zealand originally and has a story or two to tell about stock photography.

A recent sale reported which will lead you to his pics

Greg Balfour Evans  Ship Hotel Senigallia on banks of River Vardar, Skopje,  North Macedonia R0FDXA

Greg, you are warmly invited to join the forum.

Does it have to be a living Alamy contributor?

Assuming not I’d ask Jim Marshall just for the hell of it!

• Love 1

i stil miss Philippe of Arterra Picture Library. We lost him in conflicts with the dratted red arrows. I know he is on another forum but I think it is on Facebook and I've chosen to snub that platform. Philippe is fun (and helpful).

Paulette

• Love 1

7 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'd invite David Kilpatrick back to the forum. His technical advice and equipment reviews were always very helpful.

Yes, David and Harry Harrison would have a good time together I think. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, NYCat said:

i stil miss Philippe of Arterra Picture Library. We lost him in conflicts with the dratted red arrows. I know he is on another forum but I think it is on Facebook and I've chosen to snub that platform. Philippe is fun (and helpful).

Paulette

It would be great if Philippe reconsidered. Anybody got influence ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

It would be great if Philippe reconsidered. Anybody got influence ?

Nobody has any influence on Philippe. He's very much his own man. Bless him.

And yes, he's so much fun. I enjoy regular banter with him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Nobody has any influence on Philippe. He's very much his own man. Bless him.

And yes, he's so much fun. I enjoy regular banter with him.

Very true, but at least let him know that all that red arrow madness seems to have died down these days. And tell him how much he is missed 😁

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Very true, but at least let him know that all that red arrow madness seems to have died down these days. And tell him how much he is missed 😁

I sent him an IM.

OK. Philippe was very touched about being missed. He is sending his regards and says 99% of people on this Forum are great.

But, sorry, he's not coming back. The red arrows were only one reason. 40% commission only is another.

I did try...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'd invite David Kilpatrick back to the forum. His technical advice and equipment reviews were always very helpful.

Second that

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Abraham Lincoln 🎩

Mentioned this to Abe when I saw him in the Post Office queue saturday morning, he said probably not but he'd think about it when he came back from the theatre.

• Love 1

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe.

I met up with him a couple of days ago and asked him if he would join. He said that the way photography is going he would not be interested and he had given up taking photos now anyway.

Allan

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Mentioned this to Abe when I saw him in the Post Office queue saturday morning, he said probably not but he'd think about it when he came back from the theatre.

He still hasn't shown up. Starting to get a bit worried... 😬

11 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Abe looks a bit haggard. He must've had a rough night. 🙃

He does get around...

“There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes.” 

I still come across established photographers, mostly amateur, who still have never heard of Alamy. One chap I was talking to last week, a photo competition winner had never heard of Alamy. Does Alamy advertise in the photo mags? (what's left of them).

4 minutes ago, Jansos said:

I still come across established photographers, mostly amateur, who still have never heard of Alamy. One chap I was talking to last week, a photo competition winner had never heard of Alamy. Does Alamy advertise in the photo mags? (what's left of them).

I would consider ignorance of Alamy among amateurs to be a marketing success- no wasted effort.