Selling at Alamy

ribeiroantonio

Question

17 minutes ago, ribeiroantonio said:

A very simple question: when it was the last time you had a sale on Alamy?  

My last sale was on June 26, 2023

Yesterday (Sunday) 3 sales

Not sure how it's going to help.

• Like 1

This morning.

I think the question you are actually asking (and I apologise if I am wrong) is why are you not selling more photographs?   

I have had a look at the first couple of pages of your portfolio and. In my eyes, I can see an immediate issue.  I could see no pictures with people doing things.  Alamy is currently an editorial agency.  It is a little different from most micro stock sites.  

If you want sales then take photographs that buyers want to buy.  Look at the images in pictures found and pictures sold.  Look at the publications that you think your pictures could be featured.  Most publications have a house style.  Copy it.  Do your research.  There is a lot of information on photography trends.  Check “All of Alamy” using the keywords you would use.  If there are thousands of images or few searches, you may be wasting your time.  Before pressing the shutter ask yourself “who would buy this picture and why?”  Think like a picture editor.  

I take mainly photos of U.K. politicians.  Not the most interesting or artistic of subjects.  Another photographer told me that I don’t undertake “real” photography.  But my pictures sell.  I am not a good technical photographer but I think I know what buyers want,  

Having said that I notice Alexander Hogg in the comments above has had a number of sales with non people pictures.  So, it is possible, but again you need to know your market.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

This morning. This one, two women looking in a shop window. Would it be as interesting without them?

stow-on-the-wold-a-cotswold-town-in-gloucestershire-england-uk-piper-GDR36F.jpg

Hi Mr Standfast, Sorry to rain on your parade but if your image, and a very good image too, was findable on Alamy site it must have sold yesterday at the earliest.

Allan

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hi Mr Standfast, Sorry to rain on your parade but if your image, and a very good image too, was findable on Alamy site it must have sold yesterday at the earliest.

Allan

Hello Allan,

I know I struggle with the whole "what day is it thing" sometimes but...

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Personal use ;  Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use ;  Start: 18-September-2023 ; Duration: In perpetuity ; 
   Additional Details: Personal prints, cards and gifts, or reference for artists.  Non-commercial use only, not for resale.

• Like 1

Hi Ribeiro,

I know you haven't asked for feedback, but you've posted a few times before about lack of sales. I just had a quick look through your portfolio. Agree with Ian that having more people in your images may help. Also, you don't seem to be correcting for skewed horizons or converging verticals, so some of the images of buildings do not look very saleable. Finally, you seem to be keyword spamming, which will hurt your CTR and you have lots of keywords that are not appropriate for the image in question (are irrelevant or not describing what is in the image).

I hope this helps,

Stephen

• Like 1

It's funny how people's experiences differ.

I'm lucky enough to average about 3-4 licenses a month for my small port and I can't remember the last time I had a license for an image of people doing things.........(or maybe my 'people doing things' pics are just rubbish :) )

Edit: I tell a lie, memory not too good these days as the last one with people was July, duh!!!!

Edited by Martin L
Correction

7 hours ago, Martin L said:

It's funny how people's experiences differ.

I'm lucky enough to average about 3-4 licenses a month for my small port and I can't remember the last time I had a license for an image of people doing things.........(or maybe my 'people doing things' pics are just rubbish :) )

Edit: I tell a lie, memory not too good these days as the last one with people was July, duh!!!!

I average 14 sales per month, and very few of them are images of people doing things, or even with people in them at all. As you say, everyone's experience is different.

47 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I average 14 sales per month, and very few of them are images of people doing things, or even with people in them at all. As you say, everyone's experience is different.

Same here. Very few shots that I sell have people in them. Last sale today.

Edited by Rubens Alarcon