Having been contributing for almost over 20 years I have now completely lost interest in selling stock images. My returns from images on Alamy (and others) are earning a pittance and I really dont know why I bother to look at the websites. I am lucky enough to be out in the island of Nevis in the Caribbean for the last 3 months where it is 28C and beautiful. I guess you cant win them all.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 6

Yes Peter, it's a shame what we've come to. But I hope you did a Caribbean turkey carve-up again! Out here in East Anglia things are OK but I'm very glad we don't have to rely on revenue from stock. If that were the case, we'd be lucky to get a pigeon on the table for Christmas 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Travelshots said:

Having been contributing for almost over 20 years I have now completely lost interest in selling stock images. My returns from images on Alamy (and others) are earning a pittance and I really dont know why I bother to look at the websites. I am lucky enough to be out in the island of Nevis in the Caribbean for the last 3 months where it is 28C and beautiful. I guess you cant win them all.

The grey skies and almost constant rain have put me off of late, but I'm hoping that once the sun puts its hat on I'll be coming out to play more. Winter months are dismal in the UK, although the skies/clouds formations can be quite appealing. Hara-kiri postponed for now!

I think that a lot of us "old-timers" have similar feelings now. My hope is that I can keep treading water (earnings-wise) for awhile longer. Fortunately, I still enjoy photography for its own sake, and I have other sources of income. Looking out my window at the grey Vancouver winter day, Nevis doesn't sound bad at all. 🌞

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

LIke the posters here, I find it hard to motivate myself for Alamy.  But I take photos for some clients as well as a podcast I produce, and many of those images are uploaded to Alamy providing an additional income.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 14/01/2023 at 14:58, Jansos said:

The grey skies and almost constant rain have put me off of late, but I'm hoping that once the sun puts its hat on I'll be coming out to play more. Winter months are dismal in the UK, although the skies/clouds formations can be quite appealing. Hara-kiri postponed for now!

I don't know about your area specifically but it looks like we are due for some calmer weather this week, grab that camera and go make some shots. Luckily round here we often get fog when its cold like this so it makes for interesting challenges with the camera.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cal said:

I don't know about your area specifically but it looks like we are due for some calmer weather this week, grab that camera and go make some shots. Luckily round here we often get fog when its cold like this so it makes for interesting challenges with the camera.

Yes but it's so blithering cold that my toothbrush batteries were on a go-slow this morning!

On 16/01/2023 at 19:46, John Mitchell said:

I think that a lot of us "old-timers" have similar feelings now. My hope is that I can keep treading water (earnings-wise) for awhile longer. Fortunately, I still enjoy photography for its own sake, and I have other sources of income. Looking out my window at the grey Vancouver winter day, Nevis doesn't sound bad at all. 🌞

Same here John. I guess that we should be glad of the good old Alamy days, my regret is that I didn't start earlier - but water neath bridge.

Weather variable in these parts, fabulous sunshine last Thursday but withering cold, I managed a couple of uploads. Overcast since but sun predicted tomorrow.  Camera fully charged. 

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Same here John. I guess that we should be glad of the good old Alamy days, my regret is that I didn't start earlier - but water neath bridge.

Weather variable in these parts, fabulous sunshine last Thursday but withering cold, I managed a couple of uploads. Overcast since but sun predicted tomorrow.  Camera fully charged. 

I joined in 2003 but didn't make my first submission until mid-2007 as I was busy with other things, so we're about the same vintage. Have to admit that my motivation is on the wane. Getting a few images together for upload is a major project these days. That said, my dashboard tells me that I'm closing in on $100K gross revenue, which I'm happy to see. With a little luck, I'll hit the magic number some time next month. I won't be throwing a party, though, as I've more than spent my share. 🥳

Well, at this rate I won't be financing a life in the tropics.  I haven't been posting much at all for the past year and just got back at it, posting several a day.  I was surprised to see the 60% commission on a recent $12 sale - I could buy half a latte with my income on that one.   

Congratulations, John on nearing that magic number.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2023 at 14:14, Hazel said:

Well, at this rate I won't be financing a life in the tropics.  I haven't been posting much at all for the past year and just got back at it, posting several a day.  I was surprised to see the 60% commission on a recent $12 sale - I could buy half a latte with my income on that one.   

Congratulations, John on nearing that magic number.

Thanks very much , Hazel. It's looking like it might take longer than expected to reach that magic number. We're halfway though Feb., and I have zero sales reported. Hoping for a post Valentine's Day surge. 💖

As a newbie, I have been wondering how you guys managed to find the time to upload hundreds if not thousands of photos with keywords.  I am struggling and on Alamy, I have a measly 60 photos with a lot of time-consuming waiting for QC to approve which sometimes takes days.

Definitely not a good business model.

For me, it has been a huge learning curve and still is, it saddens me to think that in reality, Photographers are only cannon fodder to be exploited by stock libraries.

On their "What should I shoot" list, I can do a fair few and I have chosen one to be a lot of fun, so watch this space, it will have satirical titles and will be included when I am able in most if not all of the shots I submit from now on.

Edited by Phillip

5 hours ago, geogphotos said:

The forum certainly seems to have lost the interest of many people.

Not a healthy sign for the once vibrant 'Alamy ecosystem'. 

I miss Meanderingemu. And Philippe of course.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Phillip said:

As a newbie, I have been wondering how you guys managed to find the time to upload hundreds if not thousands of photos with keywords.  I am struggling and on Alamy, I have a measly 60 photos

After you've done a few thousand, you get into a routine... But shoot more for starters!

• Like 1

Had a zoom yesterday...got excited briefly then went back in my box.

Where did it all go wrong 😉 

Every now and again a nice sale appears, but as for all those $1.21 sales......

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

After you've done a few thousand, you get into a routine... But shoot more for starters!

I have a planned shot to cover a Rodeo in about a month, then there is an event that is known as the Southern 80, not sure if I'll try and cover it although there can be some spectacular shots, as well as a ton of boring ones.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phillip said:

I have a planned shot to cover a Rodeo in about a month, then there is an event that is known as the Southern 80, not sure if I'll try and cover it although there can be some spectacular shots, as well as a ton of boring ones.

You always shoot more than you need, it's standard. I delete a bunch of shots afterwards, at least 50%.

But you don't need to go anywhere to shoot stock, have a look at my and other contributor's portfolios. Shoot a wide variety of subjects and you'll find out what sells.

Edited by Steve F

19 minutes ago, Steve F said:

You always shoot more than you need, it's standard. I delete a bunch of shots afterwards, at least 50%.

But you don't need to go anywhere to shoot stock, have a look at my and other contributor's portfolios. Shoot a wide variety of subjects and you'll find out what sells.

This is all local. When I use to shoot film I thought if I got one or two usable images out of a roll I was doing well. So the advantage of digital is not having to buy film, pay for processing and then edit the images. Recently there was a street party festival titled Taste and Tunes which I shot about 30 or more images. and have used 10.

Edited by Phillip
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Keep an eye out for my Goon Bag Adventures series. Once they pass QC that is.