Can You Shoot RAW and EXTRA FINE Jpegs Together?

• Ed Rooney changed the title to Can You Shoot RAW and EXTRA FINE Jpegs Together?
5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Hi, Steve

And that Extra Fine jpegs you shoot?

Morning Edo. Yes, extra fine, seems a bit pointless shooting at a lower quality. I don't tend to do burst shooting much, so I've only ever filled up my memory card once on the A7III that I remember (and I think that was the one recording raw files anyway!).

• Thanks 1

I've done once recently, but only so I can get jpegs of the grandsons sent out to people a bit quicker. Which I didn't. They still need work so the only saving would be a bit of rendering and exporting time. If you have a faster computer than mine (and I bet everyone has) I doubt you'd notice.

I'm sure jpegs are now fine OOC for everyday use, but they wouldn't do for us. The big difference for me is that blue skies can go an odd shade if you play with the luminance or saturation.

I would only consider jpegs now for an even with hundreds of images with lighting that was consistent- large-scale event portraiture, maybe- and I don't know if that market even exists anymore. I was never in it.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I found I never did anything with the jpegs so I stopped making them. 

Paulette

Yup! Why waste card space with images you will never use?

Allan

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mr Standfast said:

Fujifilm Fine Jpegs pass QC and sell.

Gets hat and coat, runs....

😀

Well, maybe worth a thought..........Just kidding😉

The "once" I referred to should probably have gone in the Good Thing thread.

I was asked for a photograph at Christmas as there were to be  the twins' father's entire family present. They didn't know that portraiture had been my "thing" so out came the studio flash.......no way were they going to get anything remotely comparable to what comes out of an Iphone. Went very well, they didn't even mind a brolly reflected in the window.......and no, I didn't use the jpegs, I worked up the RAWs as usual the next day.

The jpegs are......meh, it's the first time I've looked at one for years. The RAWS are sharper (you can see the grain😉) but the main thing is not having the white balance baked in, and the marginal high-ISO images that just don't cut it as jpegs.

We've been through this before. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

😀

Well, maybe worth a thought..........Just kidding😉

The "once" I referred to should probably have gone in the Good Thing thread.

I was asked for a photograph at Christmas as there were to be  the twins' father's entire family present. They didn't know that portraiture had been my "thing" so out came the studio flash.......no way were they going to get anything remotely comparable to what comes out of an Iphone. Went very well, they didn't even mind a brolly reflected in the window.......and no, I didn't use the jpegs, I worked up the RAWs as usual the next day.

The jpegs are......meh, it's the first time I've looked at one for years. The RAWS are sharper (you can see the grain😉) but the main thing is not having the white balance baked in, and the marginal high-ISO images that just don't cut it as jpegs.

We've been through this before. Sorry.

When I used a Sony A77 I always shot Raw. 

Cheers!😉

• Thanks 1

I think the RX100 only has a single card slot so not much point doing jpegs as well. The only time I set my Fujis to RAW + jpeg is if I'm shooting in a different format, square usually, because otherwise you don't get the framing in the viewfinder, or when the RAW opens in Lightroom.

• Thanks 1

I shoot RAW + JPEG Fine in one card slot on my Nikon D850.  I do this mostly for my magazine assignment shoots as I need to create galleries for editors to review.  The gallery platform I use only accepts JPEGS.  Once the photos are selected, I then work on the RAW files.  If I were only shooting for myself or stock, I would only shoot in RAW.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Since birds tend to be my main subject these days, I have filled up a 128gb card no problem.  I shoot a lot of bursts and each RAW is 92mb.  I always carry two 128gb cards with me, and have come close to filling up both.  I went back to the Raptor Conservancy just before New Year's and took over 4,000 shots.  It has never happened where I did absolutely no processing on any of my bird images before uploading to Alamy, so no point in the extra jpgs hogging card space. 

Jill

• Thanks 1

I tried RAW + jpeg once, years ago. Then I realized I only wanted the RAWs, & deleting all those (to me) useless jpegs was a pain & time consuming. It was a short trial that encompassed only 3-5 shoots.
The biggest thing I couldn’t accept was the baked-in jpeg white balance.  When I see muddy looking skies in other contributors images, I know they either shoot jpegs or don’t know how to use PS/LR correctly with their RAWs.

Edo, just to clarify, the A7III has separate memory card slots, so I shoot only raw with one and only jpegs with the other. I almost never use the JPEGS, unless my wife wants some family shots that I've just 'snapped' when I'm using the camera for something else. Deleting is easy, I just format both memory cards in camera after I've saved the files elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

I've shot and submitted RAW+fine jpgs from Fuji, Nikon, Sony.

Choose a jpg color profile/film simulation and adjust color, sharpness, etc. in camera to get desired "look".  They're good unless in high contrast lighting then use RAW.

Worked to help speed-up and simplify workflow.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Just further musing- I'm not sure I've ever compared an OOC jpeg with an export from RAW before and it was revealing. We all knew that jpegs suppress the fine detail but that they concealed grain, sorry noise, even at 400ISO was a small revelation. Not that you'd want it done, but I don't use extra NR until 800 so have got used to seeing a bit of noise at 100%. I suppose it just doesn't bother anyone who used to print from HP5. It doesn't bother QC either.

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2023 at 11:06, spacecadet said:

. I suppose it just doesn't bother anyone who used to print from HP5. It doesn't bother QC either.

Never thought that I would encounter a reference to HP5 in these discussions, HP5 versus Tri X etc Acutol versus Rodinal for the grainiest grain !

Back to topic I guess JPGs are of use to those live news shooters who need an immediate turnaround, but I curse when, very occasionally, I discover that I have inadvertently switched the camera mode dial from Aperture Priority to Auto - or whatever heathen setting that produces only JPGs. I've recently started to rework some older files for POD use, and the flexibility of the raw files via TIFFs is wonderful to behold.

I was reminded of the nightmare of cards going bad when searching my photos of Iceland for this month's challenge. I lost most of the images I shot on my last day, when I got up at 4 AM for sunrise shots and walked many miles from Reykjavik to Seltjarnarnes on a rather cold late-summer day (it's light all day but white/gray and then the sky lights up -quite awe inspiring). I was only able to save a handful of images out of hundreds. I literally watched these one-in-a-lifetime images disintegrate before my eyes as I uploaded them and even the card manufacturer was unable to restore them. So, if I were traveling in a post-Covid world (will that happen?), I'd shoot RAW to one card and jpeg fine to another.I suppose it would be a good practice for everyday too, but it is just too slow with my current Sonys, particularly for bursts.

In fact, I actually shoot RAW + jpeg at low (15MP) with my A7rIV because the 61MP RAW files are so big it takes ages for them to render and this way I can see what I've shot on the back of my camera. I read this was a hack for that issue so I've been doing it this way. When I import into LR, I only import the RAW files. 

When I was shooting assignments, I'd shoot RAW and jpeg (fine) with my Nikons/Oly so I could get editors a lightbox quickly and then would work on RAW files when they made their selections. 

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

For the first decade of my involvement with photography, I shot Kodak Tri-X and developed it in Acufine, not D-76. The Acufine produced an even and attractive tight grain. Never heard a complaint. 

No images of either developer on Alamy.

Not many searches either. Let's try developer. Oh that's people now of course.  👴

wim

• Like 1