Have just cancelled adobe lightroom .....

Have just cancelled adobe lightroom subscription.....and editing cancelled by adobe.

probably my wrong decision........but before going back to renew subscription; can the forum offer alternatives...(Pro & cons)

I have canon 5d mk4 and shoot everything on raw.

I used lightroom extensively for captioning & keywording.

Thanks in advance for advice/viewpoints

Sparks

ps financial rewards from Alamy at present are depressing...so thinking now NO need to to rush to renew adobe

6 minutes ago, sparks said:

Have just cancelled adobe lightroom subscription.....and editing cancelled by adobe.

probably my wrong decision........but before going back to renew subscription; can the forum offer alternatives...(Pro & cons)

Sparks

ps financial rewards from Alamy at present are depressing...so thinking now NO need to to rush to renew adobe

Always a good idea to look out for the Black Friday or Amazon Prime deals with a worthwhile discount off the Adobe subscription. I haven’t paid full price for years. And you can run one deal onto the end of another.

11 minutes ago, sparks said:

Sparks

It is my understanding that you can keep the Library module and the last time I looked DXO was making it easy to do editing with them while your organizing still continues with Lightroom.

Paulette

3 hours ago, sparks said:

Sparks

Raw Therapee which is free I've used it to convert raw files then GIMP (similar to photoshop) for photo editing and never had any photos rejected on alamy using these. 

Edited by dunstun365
new info
  • Like 1

If things don't pickup (higher fees) I will be cancelling my LR subscription at the end of term and going back to my LR6.  If there is anything missing by way of processing like "Dehaze" I will use the PSE 2020 editor where they have "Haze removal".

Need to look after the pennies now the cost of living is rising to ridiculous levels.

Allan

56 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I will use the PSE 2020 editor where they have "Haze removal".

I use Prolost DeHaze in my Lightroom 6, adds a selection of presets which work well

https://proloststore.com/products/dehaze

It may not be straightforward going back to Lightroom 6 though, I don't know how it is going to deal with all the images you have added to your LR catalogue since moving to the CC subscription.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

If things don't pickup (higher fees) I will be cancelling my LR subscription at the end of term and going back to my LR6.  If there is anything missing by way of processing like "Dehaze" I will use the PSE 2020 editor where they have "Haze removal".

I used to use PSE for many years but swapped to LR because it provided Automatic CA removal and allowed all editing functions to be carried out on 16 bit images which my PSE 8 didn't.

Does PSE2020 (or later) now have automatic CA removal?

How many of the editing functions still only work on 8 bit images?

Mark

I never liked the idea of renting software so have never subscribed. My current processing is from DXO to old stand alone version of Lightroom then finish off in an old stand alone version of Photoshop. I believe that Adobe Elements can still be purchased outright but rarely use my old version.

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

and going back to my LR6

Actually assuming your cameras are supported by LR 6.14 Perpetual then I would say that in principle all you need to do is make sure that LR CC is set to 'Automatically write changes into xmp' in Catalog Settings > Metadata and if it isn't change it so that it is and 'Save metadata to file' for all those images that your LR 6.14 doesn't know about, then 'Import' into LR6 by adding them at their current location. In fact there's nothing to stop you from doing that now. LR6 won't understand some of the things you've done to those images with the new CC tools but that's a small price to pay. I've never used CC so I may have missed some potential problems that you might encounter, no idea what LR6 does when it encounters xmp files created in CC for example.

If you have cameras that aren't supported by LR 6.14 then you'll have to use another RAW processor to convert the files to DNG before importing them, Iridient Transformer perhaps, or DXO as suggested, or Affinity Photo or...etc. etc.

Edited by Harry Harrison

I've never rented Adobe software and have old standalone versions of LR and PS that were bought years ago.  Perfectly adequate for stock shooting. There's not enough money in stock to justify renting software.  If I were a full time professional shooter I would probably think differently.

Prior to LR I used Canon's own raw converter which does a good enough job, but I would miss the database and keywording features of LR.

8 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Actually assuming your cameras are supported by LR 6.14 Perpetual then I would say that in principle all you need to do is make sure that LR CC is set to 'Automatically write changes into xmp' in Catalog Settings > Metadata and if it isn't change it so that it is and 'Save metadata to file' for all those images that your LR 6.14 doesn't know about, then 'Import' into LR6 by adding them at their current location. In fact there's nothing to stop you from doing that now. LR6 won't understand some of the things you've done to those images with the new CC tools but that's a small price to pay. I've never used CC so I may have missed some potential problems that you might encounter, no idea what LR6 does when it encounters xmp files created in CC for example.

If you have cameras that aren't supported by LR 6.14 then you'll have to use another RAW processor to convert the files to DNG before importing them, Iridient Transformer perhaps, or DXO as suggested, or Affinity Photo or...etc. etc.

That is the downside since I got my Nikon Z6 ll. I do have to do DNG conversion before importing to my LR version 5, but it doesn't take long so I can live with it.

• Like 1

Are you on Windows or a Mac?

I'm on a Mac. Phase One/Capture One Pro got just as greedy as Adobe so I stopped upgrading.

I now use NeoFinder for database duties and process my Sony and Fuji files through MacOS's own engine via the Raw Power app and if I'm feeling creative, I use Pixelmator Pro. Each of those apps is around $40/£35 or 600 Alamy Distributor licences.

17 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I use Prolost DeHaze in my Lightroom 6, adds a selection of presets which work well

https://proloststore.com/products/dehaze

It may not be straightforward going back to Lightroom 6 though, I don't know how it is going to deal with all the images you have added to your LR catalogue since moving to the CC subscription.

14 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thank you Harry. I have downloaded the Prolost DeHaze ready for when I do go back to the purchased LR6.  Thanks also for the metadata info as well.

Allan

16 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I used to use PSE for many years but swapped to LR because it provided Automatic CA removal and allowed all editing functions to be carried out on 16 bit images which my PSE 8 didn't.

Does PSE2020 (or later) now have automatic CA removal?

How many of the editing functions still only work on 8 bit images?

Mark

Have a look at this Mark. Not sure about auto CA removal as I have not actually processed raw images in PSE2020 yet.  I only got it when I thought I was going to go back to LR a while ago.

Unfortunately I had to start using  the subscription LR when I bought a Sony A7 mkIII as LR6 did not support it.  Do not have that camera any more so do not need LRC either......The unfortunate part is my subscription does not run our till June 2023.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

56 minutes ago, Russell Watkins said:

Are you on Windows or a Mac?

I'm on a Mac. Phase One/Capture One Pro got just as greedy as Adobe so I stopped upgrading.

I now use NeoFinder for database duties and process my Sony and Fuji files through MacOS's own engine via the Raw Power app and if I'm feeling creative, I use Pixelmator Pro. Each of those apps is around $40/£35 or 600 Alamy Distributor licences.

Thank you Russell. I am on a Mac and as I have LR6 already on it I will be using that for library and captioning/keywording and processing. Using other software when needed.

Allan

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Have a look at this Mark. Not sure about auto CA removal as I have not actually processed raw images in PSE2020 yet.  I only got it when I thought I was going to go back to LR a while ago.

Allan

Thanks. So it looks like, although the ACR part is 16 bit, PSE then restricts the images to 8 bit mode for certain editing operations. So it's not for me then. I really don't want to convert to 8 bit until the last moment the jpg is created.

Mark

9 hours ago, Russell Watkins said:

I now use NeoFinder for database duties and process my Sony and Fuji files through MacOS's own engine via the Raw Power app...

Thanks for the reminder about RawPower, I just updated my copy and it's good to see it getting better and better with every release. Silky smooth real time adjustments to RAW files with no need to import into a catalogue. One of the fastest RAW editors out there. Still a few functions missing though before I'd swap to it (e.g masking, and Auto CA and distortion removal for my particular lenses, although it can be "trained"). It's also Mac and IOS only.

Mark

• Thanks 1

I never got my head around Lightroom. I edit everything in Adobe RAW and then save in Photoshop. As Lightroom is included in the about 10 quid subscription, I don't bother going anywhere else.

Edited by vpics
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, vpics said:

I never got my head around Lightroom. I edit everything in Adobe RAW and then save in Photoshop. As Lightroom is included in the about 10 quid subscription, I don't bother going anywhere else.

Same here. I tried Lightroom a few times but did not find it instinctive, and could not see what it offered that I didn't already have in Photoshop.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, vpics said:

Same here vpics. I can work fast with ACR/Photoshop. I've previously spent far too long try to get to grips with LR as potential edits were mounting up, so switched back to PS. Same with other non Adobe applications when run as a trial. I'm not likely to cancel my Adobe subscription 

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 09:56, Allan Bell said:

Thank you Harry. I have downloaded the Prolost DeHaze ready for when I do go back to the purchased LR6.  Thanks also for the metadata info as well.

Allan

Hope the Prolost software works for you Allan. I use the ACR Dehaze fairly infrequently, but it's essential to reduce OTT smoke from an on stage smoke machine, to reduce the effect of smoke from flares, and more recently to cut through or reduce early morning fog/mist. You have to be careful not to push the slider too far over as it increases noise.

Surely the unique selling point of Lightroom is that it is a very powerful database, there is nothing like it and never has been*, so comparing it with other programs that just do image processing is like comparing apples with oranges, but fair enough if you only want apples I suppose.

The keywording and captioning side is very comprehensive and can be enhanced with inexpensive plugins. All image processing is non-destructive as the edits are also stored in the database, alternative edits are stored virtually so do not take up any room on your hard drive. The Print module is excellent, again different layouts, templates and paper setups can be stored virtually, printing from Photoshop is like going back to the Dark Ages. You can search your entire archive quickly using a huge array of different parameters, keywords and captions of course, but also by lens used, camera used, date shot, aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc. etc.  'Smart' collections can easily be created to bring certain types of images to your attention and you can also create your own Collections and Collection Sets to do the same thing.

Capture One and Photo Mechanic Plus claim to offer a database function but they can't really be compared.

* Well there were competitors in the early days but they've long gone apart from some Windows only offerings.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1
  • Like 4