Have just cancelled adobe lightroom .....

9 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Surely the unique selling point of Lightroom is that it is a very powerful database, there is nothing like it and never has been*...

Nope. Lightroom was (and still is) a poor imitation of the app that started it all, Apple's Aperture. That Apple let Aperture wither on the vine is a real shame.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Russell Watkins said:

That Apple let Aperture wither on the vine is a real shame.

Good point, I didn't have Macs at that time so didn't have a chance to use it. IView Media Pro had a lot of fans as well but Capture One bought it and then failed to do anything with it. Pity, they were in a very good position to do so.  Actually I don't think database features help to sell mainstream software because they are quite difficult to sell to the uninitiated. Adobe do a very poor job of explaining it on their website and concentrate solely on its image processing capabilities. It doesn't help that there are now two different version of Lightroom either, 'Lightroom' and 'Lightroom Classic', totally different from each other.

Unfortunately It is also difficult to migrate from one database system to another without losing much of what made that system valuable to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

Surely the unique selling point of Lightroom is that it is a very powerful database, there is nothing like it and never has been*, so comparing it with other programs that just do image processing is like comparing apples with oranges, but fair enough if you only want apples I suppose.

The keywording and captioning side is very comprehensive and can be enhanced with inexpensive plugins. All image processing is non-destructive as the edits are also stored in the database, alternative edits are stored virtually so do not take up any room on your hard drive. The Print module is excellent, again different layouts, templates and paper setups can be stored virtually, printing from Photoshop is like going back to the Dark Ages. You can search your entire archive quickly using a huge array of different parameters, keywords and captions of course, but also by lens used, camera used, date shot, aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc. etc.  'Smart' collections can easily be created to bring certain types of images to your attention and you can also create your own Collections and Collection Sets to do the same thing.

The other unique selling point is its very close integration with Photoshop. Lightroom (Classic) is in a class of its own for the database facilities as well as the other positives Harry mentions. In addition, there is the ease of use of the development module in comparison to using ACR with Bridge. But one will only appreciate the power of Lightroom if one actually explores it in full. Other apps may work and even work well but there is no combination that provides the ease of use, data management, excellent raw converter (with world class noise reduction), integrated color management and the absolute power of Photoshop for editing for those who wish to avail of that power. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Good point, I didn't have Macs at that time so didn't have a chance to use it. IView Media Pro had a lot of fans as well but Capture One bought it and then failed to do anything with it. Pity, they were in a very good position to do so.  Actually I don't think database features help to sell mainstream software because they are quite difficult to sell to the uninitiated. Adobe do a very poor job of explaining it on their website and concentrate solely on its image processing capabilities. It doesn't help that there are now two different version of Lightroom either, 'Lightroom' and 'Lightroom Classic', totally different from each other.

Unfortunately It is also difficult to migrate from one database system to another without losing much of what made that system valuable to you.

I'm always surprised at how few people see the advantages of an image database, especially amongst stock photographers.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

Hope the Prolost software works for you Allan. I use the ACR Dehaze fairly infrequently, but it's essential to reduce OTT smoke from an on stage smoke machine, to reduce the effect of smoke from flares, and more recently to cut through or reduce early morning fog/mist. You have to be careful not to push the slider too far over as it increases noise.

Thank you Steve.  I have been using the Dehaze tool in LRC for a while now and use it quite a bit. When used in moderation it is good for increasing mid-tone contrast for some images from the Sony lenses I use which are short on contrast in some cases. Usually about 8 to 12 max on the slider.  Of course I would not use it in the case of news images.

Allan

4 hours ago, MDM said:

The other unique selling point is its very close integration with Photoshop. Lightroom (Classic) is in a class of its own for the database facilities as well as the other positives Harry mentions. In addition, there is the ease of use of the development module in comparison to using ACR with Bridge. But one will only appreciate the power of Lightroom if one actually explores it in full. Other apps may work and even work well but there is no combination that provides the ease of use, data management, excellent raw converter (with world class noise reduction), integrated color management and the absolute power of Photoshop for editing for those who wish to avail of that power. 

I still wish Adobe would licence LRC on it's own without the other stuff.  I would stay with it for £5 a month just for LRC.

Allan

5 hours ago, MDM said:

Agree, totally. I couldn’t live without it.

• Like 1