August 2022 - Favourite uploads

spacecadet

A weekend car show jolly.........Festival of the Unexceptional, Concours de l'Ordinaire, won by the 1994 Astra on the right.

For those with other interests (me too) Grimsthorpe Castle, 1720s, by Vanbrugh.

2JKAWG9.jpg

Last time I saw a Simca was in "Maigret", and it wasn't one of these.

2JKAWG8.jpg

We got in free, of course, the only Renault 12 there.

2JKAWG6.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 3

A dead South American fruit fly near a red mesh fly blocker.   I've had this for years, liked it, but never submitted it until my last upload.

2JKEH2T.jpg

And this electric substation near San Ramon, Matagalpa Department -- sky and tech:

2JKEH1E.jpg

• Love 1

Yesterday I had a shoot in an office building across the street from the headquarters of the second largest auto insurance company in the U.S. (GEICO) and so I thought I should grab some snaps of it, who knows, it may come up as a stock need.

usa-chevy-chase-maryland-md-aerial-view-

• Love 3

Bright Summer sunshine in the morning in Manchester, England, United Kingdom, British Isles. A high level view of houses, flats, and skyscrapers or high rise buildings or tower blocks in central Manchester, UK.

2JKAR6F.jpg

• Love 1

In the past 4 years, I uploaded every single month. Last month I didn't. 6 sales for $1 was too much for my motivation.

I've picked myself up and tried to upload a batch. Unfortunately, my internet connection here in the back of Woop Woop is not good and it dropped after 2 images. So here they are.

White-bellied sea-eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster)

2JMEN72.jpg

2JMENAA.jpg

• Love 3

Portrait of Neville Namarnyilk, an Aboriginal artist from Arnhem Land, in front of rock art, East Alligator River, Northern Territory, Australia

2JMJ2CW.jpg

Neville Namarnyilk demonstrating how to make a paint brush out of pandanus roots for use in rock art.

2JMJ2RN.jpg

A fishing lure embedded on the back of a saltwater crocodile

2JMJ693.jpg

2JMJ85F.jpg

• Love 3

This modern sculpture looks good in Wolstenholme Square in Liverpool, but the high-rise buildings are mostly empty and the square is not being cared for. Our future is fragile in so many ways.

wolstenholme-square-in-liverpool-2JMCJ1P

Positive expressions on most customers but I failed to get the name of the bistro. I have to go back and find it. Do any of you know this place?

Went back and found it today. It's a small unassuming Spanish bar, Spanish Caravan, between Ropewalks and Bold Street. 

garden-area-of-liverpool-cocktail-bar-2J

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

I've seen many wonderful images of Gotheborg's visit to London, including numbers of drone images which I hope were legal! I like the contrast of the old against the modern skyline of this one.

gtheborg-of-sweden-a-sailing-replica-of-the-swedish-east-indiaman-gtheborg-i-launched-in-1738-visiting-london-uk-london-city-skyline-2JN2B57.jpg

Having posted this image and hovered the mouse over it, I've noticed that the system doesn't recognise the umlaut and has thus renamed the ship Gtheborg. That's something to be aware of.

Edited by Avpics
umlaut
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

I've seen many wonderful images of Gotheborg's visit to London, including numbers of drone images which I hope were legal! I like the contrast of the old against the modern skyline of this one.

gtheborg-of-sweden-a-sailing-replica-of-the-swedish-east-indiaman-gtheborg-i-launched-in-1738-visiting-london-uk-london-city-skyline-2JN2B57.jpg

Having posted this image and hovered the mouse over it, I've noticed that the system doesn't recognise the umlaut and has thus renamed the ship Gtheborg. That's something to be aware of.

It's showing on the mouseover on the sales page, it's just missing on the thumbnail URLs. Should be OK for search- the umlaut will just be ignored and the letter treated as an "o".

I usually spell the word with "oe" in the tags as well in these cases.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

The following were mostly uploaded late July but only passed QC 9th August.

Lincoln railway station platform 3a.

lincoln-railway-station-platform-3a-2022-2JJKHNX.jpg

boy throwing ball into bucket at ball in the bucket stand Lincoln.

boy-throwing-ball-into-bucket-at-ball-in-the-bucket-stand-lincoln-1940s-weekend-lincoln-cathedral-quarter-23rd-july-2022-2JK674W.jpg

People dressed in 1940's garments enjoying a break at The Lawn Lincoln 1940's weekend.

people-dressed-in-1940s-garments-enjoying-a-break-at-the-lawn-lincoln-1940s-weekend-lincoln-cathedral-quarter-23rd-july-2022-2JK67A9.jpg

Kelly Ann singing war time songs at Lincoln 1940's weekend.

kelly-ann-singing-war-time-songs-at-lincoln-1940s-weekend-lincoln-cathedral-quarter-23rd-july-2022-2JK679B.jpg

Airman and nurse wife with son in peroid dress Lincoln 1940's weekend.

airman-and-nurse-wife-with-son-in-peroid-dress-lincoln-1940s-weekend-lincoln-cathedral-quarter-23rd-july-2022-2JKB0P3.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Does that crocodile have some extra teeth????

Paulette

It looks like it, doesn't it? It's a miracle I got some shots at all. There was very little light in that shady creek and the croc was fast. I  was shooting at high ISO.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

It looks like it, doesn't it? It's a miracle I got some shots at all. There was very little light in that shady creek and the croc was fast. I  was shooting at high ISO.

It would be interesting to know in inches how long the longest teeth are. Getting bit seems like it would be similar to getting stabbed with a few dozen sharp knives. Of course, they rip and roll, I assume, rather than bite in & out. Those are some big-time scary teeth.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It would be interesting to know in inches how long the longest teeth are. Getting bit seems like it would be similar to getting stabbed with a few dozen sharp knives. Of course, they rip and roll, I assume, rather than bite in & out. Those are some big-time scary teeth.

I believe that the longest teeth are about an inch long. This specimen is only a small freshwater crocodile but the other specie found in Australia, the saltwater crocodile, has the record of bite force with 3,700 pounds per square inch. They grab you, drag you into the water and drown you rather than shred you to pieces. 

12 hours ago, gvallee said:

I believe that the longest teeth are about an inch long. This specimen is only a small freshwater crocodile but the other specie found in Australia, the saltwater crocodile, has the record of bite force with 3,700 pounds per square inch. They grab you, drag you into the water and drown you rather than shred you to pieces. 

Then they shred you to pieces.😟

Allan

On 10/08/2022 at 07:52, gvallee said:

Various art installations throughout the country. Love metal sculptures. So creative.

2JN84YF.jpg

2JN84W3.jpg

2JN851P.jpg

2JN853T.jpg

I too like metal sculptures as your images. I came across some last Sunday.  I was walking the road route back to my car after walking a section of the Thames Path in Gloucestershire. It was hot and I forgot to pack a hat. Saw them when I diverted for a cold drink in the shade. Photographed but still to upload. I think I remember you uploading some artistic grain silos, they were excellent too.

Edited by sb photos

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I too like metal sculptures as your images. I came across some last Sunday.  I was walking the road route back to my car after walking a section of the Thames Path in Gloucestershire. It was hot and I forgot to pack a hat. Saw them when I diverted for a cold drink in the shade. Photographed but still to upload. I think I remember you uploading some artistic grain silos, they were excellent too.

Yes, silo art is big in Oz. There are silo trails in various parts of the country. Some are truly wonderful.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Then they shred you to pieces.😟

Allan

And I learnt recently that you cannot defend yourself by poking the croc in the eyes because their eyes are retractable. They don't care. 

I had a relaxing quiet afternoon. Took a taxi to the Liverpool Cathedral to do some interior snaps. While there, I had a lovely talk with a female Anglican Priest. Didn't come across a single saltwater crocodile. 

• Like 2

Gee, Mark -- someone seems to have taken your joke the wrong way. No need for a red arrow, folks. 

I did walk back to the centre past the arch in Chinatown. It seems that many of the restaurants are still closed. The Asian community here took Covid very seriously. The Shanghai Palace on the edge of Bold Street is open again. I think I'll try that this week.

2JMPWT8.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 1