Why 60% - 40% split??????

tatler56

Question

20 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, tatler56 said:

I'm really not happy with the new 60-40 contract arrangement!

A 50-50 was the most logical and fairest commission split!!!!

I doubt you'll get any argument from anyone here. PA are happy with their lot though and that's all that matters to them.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

.....while we become less and less happy with our little.

And the longer we stay here the happier PA will be.

Allan

It really is hard to know what is going on.

The last time I can remember hearing from Alamy's Managing Director was in the Xmas message in December 2020. In that broadcast we were assured that there were plans for growth that could be funded without changes to our commission. 

I don't recall any explanation further to that about why it turned out not to be true.

We get fairly frequent reassurances from James Allsworth that exciting opportunities are just ahead of us. 

But it does always seem a bit vague and 'jam tomorrow'. 

There also seems to be something of a bunker mentality from Alamy that any questions or comments are unwarranted criticisms. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Im pretty sure 60-40 is not the end of it. Who knows what this year will end at. 

Cheers and gone 

Shergar 

I agree, the fair 50/50 split was a longstanding, symbolic line in the sand. Now that it has been erased, anything goes. Also, Alamy has harmed its relationship with its contributors, who now can't help but feel exploited. It's a lose-lose situation IMO.

• Like 5

I know I'll drop down to the 80/20 come July.  I distinctly notice that when I stop uploading, my sales start to plummet.  And with the piddly amounts for images, no way I'm doing $250 by July, unless they count DACS money.

Jill

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I know I'll drop down to the 80/20 come July.  I distinctly notice that when I stop uploading, my sales start to plummet.  And with the piddly amounts for images, no way I'm doing $250 by July, unless they count DACS money.

Jill

Sorry to hear that. I think the split (preferably 50/50) should remain the same for everyone. I hope sales improve for you.

I haven't really noticed a lull when I don't upload for awhile. However, submitting regularly is no doubt a good idea. Things have been going surprisingly well for me (touch wood) lately despite my not uploading much.

Edited by John Mitchell

6 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Sorry to hear that. I think the split (preferably 50/50) should remain the same for everyone. I hope sales improve for you.

I haven't really noticed a lull when I don't upload for awhile. However, submitting regularly is no doubt a good idea. Things have been going surprisingly well for me (touch wood) lately despite my not uploading much.

I haven't uploaded anything since early August and being mostly birds (not a high demand subject due to tons of competition) I haven't uploaded a lot of good subject matter.  Living way out in the country surrounded by fields of snow, there aren't a lot of decent subjects during covid and the many lockdowns.  Not travelling beyond town much and certainly not investing in any trips just to take photos.  Not worth the ROI.  I have a whole pile on SD cards to do, but have lost all motivation. Maybe when the weather gets better. Made more with art design on Etsy in the last 3 weeks than with images on Alamy in the last 3 months.

Jill

• Love 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Same, I see no correlation between frequency of uploading submissions and sales.  Months have been pretty consistent even when I don't submit much of anything for a long period. 

21 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Same, I see no correlation between frequency of uploading submissions and sales.  Months have been pretty consistent even when I don't submit much of anything for a long period. 

+1.

Only 3% of my sales have been in the year they were uploaded and last year, when I uploaded 59 images, was 30% up on 2020, when I uploaded 567, mostly courtesy of a big trip at the end of '19. My year-on-year average is 800.

Assuming images of any age are equally likely to license, which is not far off true, with 13 years of images I'd expect to lose about 8% of sales each year because of a fallow 2020, with that figure declining over time. I suspect other factors will have more of an effect.

So no, it doesn't matter much.

Edited by spacecadet

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m with Jill. When I don’t upload, sales are affected.

I think it probably has something to do with individual sales patterns. Over half of my monthly sales are usually older (and really old) repeat-sellers. Contributors with lots of sales of "fresh" images probably suffer more if they don't upload frequently.

Another of my crackpot theories. 🥴

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I think it probably has something to do with individual sales patterns. Over half of my monthly sales are usually older (and really old) repeat-sellers. Contributors with lots of sales of "fresh" images probably suffer more if they don't upload frequently.

Another of my crackpot theories. 🥴

Seems a reasonable hypothesis to me. During lockdowns there wasn't a great deal of opportunity to get out and take photos, but I didn't notice a fall in the number of sales. Income, however, is a different matter.

Meanwhile I've been putting more effort into POD, a!though that doesn't produce anything like my Alamy income. 

I've briefly considered selling prints directly, or through local outlets, but that requires an upfront investment in time and cash which I'm too old and idle to contemplate.

Edited by Bryan

I finally managed to upload 15 images.  Took me almost 4 hours to go through about 400 images, cull out the bummers, and do the editing on the final 15.  I had a few that I debated on, but know that when I debate on whether to submit an image, it means I shouldn't.  A lot of work for who knows how little in the future, but at least I made a start. Who knows, maybe there's a big billboard image sale in there somewhere.

Jill

• Love 2

4 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

I finally managed to upload 15 images.  Took me almost 4 hours to go through about 400 images, cull out the bummers, and do the editing on the final 15.  I had a few that I debated on, but know that when I debate on whether to submit an image, it means I shouldn't.  A lot of work for who knows how little in the future, but at least I made a start. Who knows, maybe there's a big billboard image sale in there somewhere.

Jill

Strange you should mention billboard image. I have recently uploaded images of billboards in all there glory. waiting in QC as I speak write. A little tip they are generally referred to as a hoarding in the UK as well as billboard.

Allan

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Strange you should mention billboard image. I have recently uploaded images of billboards in all there glory. waiting in QC as I speak write. A little tip they are generally referred to as a hoarding in the UK as well as billboard.

Allan

I though a hoarding was what people do with toilet paper when they hear the words "DON"T PANIC" from a government minister.

18 minutes ago, MDM said:

I though a hoarding was what people do with toilet paper when they hear the words "DON"T PANIC" from a government minister.

Yes that is also included in the dictionary definitions.

Allan