November 2021 favourite uploads

Alan Beastall

More bugs and beasties...........sadly I didn't get to photograph the very large carpet python that I nearly stood on yesterday. It was not in a good position. But what a treat to see, about 4 meters, and had obviously eaten something large as part of the mid section was as thick as my thigh. And fast asleep in the sun, in a squashed together U shape.

Assassin bug nymph

common-assassin-bug-pristhesancus-plagipennis-instar-or-nymph-coffs-harbour-nsw-australia-2H685RP.jpg

A rather handsome fly

blowfly-family-calliphoridae-probably-subfamily-calliphorinae-golden-blowfly-coffs-harbour-nsw-australia-2H685Y9.jpg

And a gorgeous millipede
polydesmida-millipede-has-just-shed-old-skin-coffs-harbour-nsw-australia-2H68615.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That last one, Carol, gives me the heebie jeebies. Too many legs. I’d hate to have to buy shoes for it.

Hahaha....Betty. And here I was thinking you'd be freaked out by the big snake I nearly walked on. 

1 hour ago, cbimages said:

Hahaha....Betty. And here I was thinking you'd be freaked out by the big snake I nearly walked on. 

Funny, snakes don’t bother me much as long as I have them in sight. While swimming in a cove once, I saw a poisonous Copperhead climbing up the rope of a banked boat, and then fall into the water. It was swimming straight out toward me and family when it went under the water. I told everyone a copperhead was coming toward us and we all were terrified, not knowing where to go.

I was not wearing, but holding onto, a life jacket to float. A submerged mossy, slimy stick, water soaked, brushed against my leg. I let out a guttural scream that started in my toes and ended high. I just knew I was about to be snake-bit. My sister, panicked, tried to climb on her husband’s head and nearly drowned him. He was fighting for his life, swearing and shoving her off.  It was only funny in retrospect. 😂

• Love 2

Every once in a while I get shoot where someone wants to be photographed on their office building's rooftop to show how they are connected to Washington DC.  I always try to shoot some photos for me, of that view, for stock...for whatever that's worth now.  This was a few days ago and the fall colors are still hanging in there...later than usual due to a warm autumn.

usa-washington-dc-capitol-building-and-pennsylvania-ave-sw-in-autumn-from-a-rooftop-2H6PAM5.jpg

• Love 6

I'm just back from 4 days of bliss in the Bush by a remote salt lake in Western Australia. No comms of course. So wild that when a dark red moon rose, we wondered if there had been an atomic apocalypse somewhere. We wouldn't have known.

Our first visit to Lake Ballard on a previous 'Big Lap' had been an amazing experience: we had been on our own, the only campers there. In front of us lay a stupendous salt lake peppered with quirky statues, Antony Gormley's artwork. An incongruous cone island rose in the middle.

By evening, the sky had turned black, high winds had risen. We hurriedly rolled in the awning. Torrential rain produced rivulets soon crawling towards us from the red sand dunes. Lightning tore the dark sky. When the storm had drifted a little further, I set up my tripod in the darkness and captured the lightning forks in the distance. Unexpectedly, clouds opened up and the moon shone through as bright as in daylight. What a show of nature! 

Well, we made it back. Once again, we were treated to a plethora of atmospheric displays: rainbow, pastel sunrise, fiery sunset, rain clouds, blazing sun, red moonrise. Simply jaw dropping.

2H7BH81.jpg

2H7BH6W.jpg

2H7BHA8.jpg

2H7BH49.jpg

2H7BH87.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 6

I'm getting addicted to bugs, beasties and spiders - except for the almost saucer sized huntsman (spider) that was hiding under a hunk of bark I picked up and it ran onto my hand!!!! A loud bellow and a flick and it was gone....then I felt bad I hadn't taken a photo.

Female net caster spider, waiting in the grass for some prey to wander past
2H7AX8F.jpg

A Spider wasp, These guys catch a spider, subdue it and lay their eggs inside, yummy food for the baby wasps

2H7AXNX.jpg

A Potato Bug, one of the nice aussie Stink bugs

2H7AX1X.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 1

Having trouble this morning inserting the actual  image, managed to put a link in, instead! 

Francis Rossi, performing with the legendary rock band, Status Quo, to a capacity crowd at the Concert Arena, to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Silverstone Classic.

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: General business services
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 October 2021
Duration: In perpetuity Finland, Editorial website

Francis Rossi, performing with the legendary rock band, Status Quo Stock Photo - Alamy

Edited by John Gaffen

On 24/11/2021 at 13:03, cbimages said:

I'm getting addicted to bugs, beasties and spiders - except for the almost saucer sized huntsman (spider) that was hiding under a hunk of bark I picked up and it ran onto my hand!!!! A loud bellow and a flick and it was gone....then I felt bad I hadn't taken a photo.

Female net caster spider, waiting in the grass for some prey to wander past
2H7AX8F.jpg

A Spider wasp, These guys catch a spider, subdue it and lay their eggs inside, yummy food for the baby wasps

2H7AXNX.jpg

A Potato Bug, one of the nice aussie Stink bugs

2H7AX1X.jpg

Excellent shots Carol, I particularly like the net casting spider. The incredible fact about them is that they have huge eyes which they use only at night. When daylight approaches, the spiders 'digest' their retina (the light sensitive material in their eyes). Each evening at dusk, they regrow their super-sensitive retinas to be able to see again.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, John Gaffen said:

Having trouble this morning inserting the actual  image, managed to put a link in, instead! 

Francis Rossi, performing with the legendary rock band, Status Quo, to a capacity crowd at the Concert Arena, to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Silverstone Classic.

Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Industry sector: General business services
Image Size: Any size
Start: 01 October 2021
Duration: In perpetuity Finland, Editorial website

Francis Rossi, performing with the legendary rock band, Status Quo Stock Photo - Alamy

I think this is in the wrong thread.

Allan

port of liverpool building reflected in modern structure liverpool 2021

port-of-liverpool-building-reflected-in-modern-structure-liverpool-2021-2H4KPYG.jpg

Front and entrance to the fab 4 cafe in Mersey Ferries building Georges Parade Liverpool

front-and-entrance-to-the-fab-4-cafe-in-mersey-ferries-building-georges-parade-liverpool-2021-2H4M3F1.jpg

Eleanor Rigby statue Stanley street Liverpool

eleanor-rigby-statue-stanley-street-liverpool-2021-2H4M5KX.jpg

Emerald Tree Skink

emerald-tree-skink-2H4RF36.jpg

Meerkat on guard duty

meerkat-on-guard-duty-2H4RF6Y.jpg

Silvery Gibbon

silvery-gibbon-2H4RFJ6.jpg

Roan Antelope laying down

roan-antelope-laying-down-2H4RFDR.jpg

Bombed by another photographer

bombed-by-another-photographer-2H5KK1X.jpg

Anderton boat lift eastern elevation from lower level Northwich Cheshire

anderton-boat-lift-eastern-elevation-from-lower-level-northwich-cheshire-2021-2H6FM7A.jpg

Photographer standing on stone block taking photos Victoria street liverpool

photographer-standing-on-stone-block-taking-photos-victoria-street-liverpool-2021-2H4KXAR.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

On 24/11/2021 at 12:03, Allan Bell said:

I think this is in the wrong thread.

Allan

You are right Alan,  it should have been Images sold in November 2021. I still cant get images to appear in my posts though!  I must be doing something wrong!  

Some more little stuff from my latest upload.

Nymph of the Common Spittlebug. these tiny (about 5mm) guys live in a ball of "spit" on a tree. If you carefully move the bubbles aside, the nymph can be seen. Head is on the left, you can just make out the pink eyes. then the spit has to be gentle put back into place so the nymph doesn't dehydrate.
2H7T6G7.jpg

Iridescent Semi-Slug - I'd never heard of these before, kind of a cross between a slug and a snail.

2H7T6F2.jpg

Eucalyptus Tip-wilter Bug,

2H7T6AW.jpg

Black Flat-head Leafhopper

2H7T6CK.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Some more little stuff from my latest upload.

Nymph of the Common Spittlebug. these tiny (about 5mm) guys live in a ball of "spit" on a tree. If you carefully move the bubbles aside, the nymph can be seen. Head is on the left, you can just make out the pink eyes. then the spit has to be gentle put back into place so the nymph doesn't dehydrate.
2H7T6G7.jpg

Iridescent Semi-Slug - I'd never heard of these before, kind of a cross between a slug and a snail.

2H7T6F2.jpg

Eucalyptus Tip-wilter Bug,

2H7T6AW.jpg

Black Flat-head Leafhopper

2H7T6CK.jpg

I love your bugs Carol. We are spoilt for choice in Oz.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

I love your bugs Carol. We are spoilt for choice in Oz.

We sure are Gen. We went out earlier, it's been raining on and off for days, and today is dull, almost black, but I had "cabin fever" and we just went to a small reserve around the corner from home. I didn't expect to find much. In a word - wow! I found a few things never seen, including some ants tending what may be lemon yellow aphids under a leaf, and an amazing planthopper....like a cicada but not. The colours once the flash hit it are out of this world. I'm still doing the prelim edit, but there are a lot of"keepers".

2 hours ago, cbimages said:

We sure are Gen. We went out earlier, it's been raining on and off for days, and today is dull, almost black, but I had "cabin fever" and we just went to a small reserve around the corner from home. I didn't expect to find much. In a word - wow! I found a few things never seen, including some ants tending what may be lemon yellow aphids under a leaf, and an amazing planthopper....like a cicada but not. The colours once the flash hit it are out of this world. I'm still doing the prelim edit, but there are a lot of"keepers".

Ha I love planthoppers, there are so many species of them. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

My luckiest find was when I was 'spidering'. I lifted a leaf and instead of a spider was a Cotton Harlequin Bug sitting on its pink eggs.

JP2WKA.

• Love 1