November 2021 favourite uploads

Alan Beastall

10 hours ago, cbimages said:

A few more of my recent insect uploads.

A Eucalyptus Leaf Beetle, slightly larger than a lady beetle

eucalyptus-leaf-beetle-paropsisterna-sp-previously-chrysophtharta-sp-similar-to-paropsisterna-decolorata-but-is-probably-undescribed-2H5CCF1.jpg

Mumma spider with lunch

cobweb-spider-female-with-egg-sac-theridion-pyramidale-also-known-as-tangleweb-spider-or-comb-footed-spider-has-a-brown-beetle-in-her-web-coffs-2H5CCW5.jpg

A Cicada that had just emerged from the shell and was drying its wings

blue-banded-scratcher-cicada-popplepsalta-aeroides-newly-hatched-adult-drying-wings-coffs-harbour-nsw-australia-2H5CC6F.jpg

Carol, you inspired me to walk around with macro eyes again. We're currently holed up in the bush waiting for new shock absorbers. You know that Bush = flies. A jewel spider owes me a few pints methinks. As I was trying to photograph it, a good number of flies following me got caught in its web. The spider got demented, running from one catch to the next to wrap them up as quickly as possible. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cbimages said:

Thanks everyone, your lovely messages mean a lot. I won't give up. But having already tried some of the hormone meds, with horrendous side effects, I'm scared of trying not only another one, but combining it with a CDK inhibitor, which also comes with dreadful side effects. And bearing on mind that my husband is now 81, with a mild (well controlled) heart condition, we don't have the luxury of time. We have no family, and no close friends nearby, just each other. It makes decision making very different to most ladies my age.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep looking for insects, trying to keep myself sane.

Thanks again. xxxxx

Carol your story reminds me of the suffering my wife went through with her cancer before she passed away. Different to yours but devastating all the same.

I feel very sorry for you and hope against whatever odds that you can do what you wish.

My only wish for you is that my prayers can be answered and you can still have a good life in front of you.

Allan (With a tear or few in my eyes)

Appologies if I am sounding a bit crass. The above is only meant in the best possible way.

My wife passed away in 2000 so I am hoping there have been some big advancements in treatments since then.

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gvallee said:

Carol, you inspired me to walk around with macro eyes again. We're currently holed up in the bush waiting for new shock absorbers. You know that Bush = flies. A jewel spider owes me a few pints methinks. As I was trying to photograph it, a good number of flies following me got caught in its web. The spider got demented, running from one catch to the next to wrap them up as quickly as possible. 

Love it Gen....yes flies, I have no words - except they are so beautiful to photograph! And for spider lunch as well of course. Hope your shockies arrive soon.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Carol your story reminds me of the suffering my wife went through with her cancer before she passed away. Different to yours but devastating all the same.

I feel very sorry for you and hope against whatever odds that you can do what you wish.

My only wish for you is that my prayers can be answered and you can still have a good life in front of you.

Allan (With a tear or few in my eyes)

Appologies if I am sounding a bit crass. The above is only meant in the best possible way.

My wife passed away in 2000 so I am hoping there have been some big advancements in treatments since then.

Allan, thanks for your thoughts and your prayers. I'm so sorry you went through this hell with your wife and still lost her. It's a pig of a disease. There are advancements in treatments, along with their horrendous side effects, I've tried some already, and been too sick to function. Both meds in the past had to be stopped. But it's going to be a hard decision whether to refuse more at this stage of disease.

2 hours ago, cbimages said:

Allan, thanks for your thoughts and your prayers. I'm so sorry you went through this hell with your wife and still lost her. It's a pig of a disease. There are advancements in treatments, along with their horrendous side effects, I've tried some already, and been too sick to function. Both meds in the past had to be stopped. But it's going to be a hard decision whether to refuse more at this stage of disease.

All you can do, Carol, is make your decision, put it in God’s hands and be at peace with your decision. I did that with my diagnosis and felt a tremendous rush of peace.

Meanwhile, keep those bugs coming! I love them!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pekka Liukkonen said:

Burning of the traditional Kekri goat in Suomenlinna fortress island in Helsinki
Burning of the traditional straw goat (Kekripukki) at the Kekri Feaston Suomenlinna fortress island in Helsinki Finland Stock Photo

Do you have any pics of it before it burns? I was curious about it and that seems to be something that Alamy doesn't have. Love the way I can see the shape in the flames.

Paulette

Buckley’s Breakaway is a picturesque landform where erosion has cut through the orange laterite and formed spectacular white cliffs and gullies from the underlying clay. Kulin Shire, Western Australia, WA, 

2H68F2C.jpg

2H68F29.jpg

2H68F26.jpg

• Love 1

In complete contrast to where I am now (see above), I finally got round to uploading images from the tropics where this trip has started. This was a two week downpour late in the Wet season. 

Cairns, Far North Queensland, Australia

2H5DWMP.jpg

2H5DWMJ.jpg

2H5DWMH.jpg

• Love 2

And now the Tin Horse Highway, a fun tourist attraction with horse themed displays made by local farmers in the Western Australia Wheatbelt (more to follow later).

2H5A1MB.jpg

2H5A1RG.jpg

2H5A1NR.jpg

• Love 1

Sorry to hear of your health problems Carol. 

A friend of mine was devastated to learn that, following a scan,  his wife had inoperable cancer, with only a few months to live.  However she was referred to an oncologist who reversed the diagnosis, and, a year later, using a mixture of surgery,  targeted drugs and other treatment, has brought about what appears to be a complete cure.  

Fingers crossed that you can get through this.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sorry to hear of your health problems Carol. 

A friend of mine was devastated to learn that, following a scan,  his wife had inoperable cancer, with only a few months to live.  However she was referred to an oncologist who reversed the diagnosis, and, a year later, using a mixture of surgery,  targeted drugs and other treatment, has brought about what appears to be a complete cure.  

Fingers crossed that you can get through this.

Thanks Brian. There's always some hope, and how wonderful for your friend's wife. Sadly, this is my 4th bout in just over 3 years, the second this year. In April, as well as having as much of the remainder of my chest removed as was surgically possible, I also had all lymph nodes removed from my right armpit and some from under my collarbone - all were diseased. Meaning the disease had escaped from my chest.  We knew this was coming, but I'd hoped for a bit more time. But I won't give up. I have too much let to do in my life.

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

This past weekend, I was searching for photos I shot in the Caribbean back in the 80s but in doing so, I went down a "rabbit hole" of other Caribbean images.  I ended up scanning some medium format film.  One assignment had me shooting interiors of some of the fabulous villas on the island of Mustique.  As it happened, I was to shoot some photos of Patrick Lichfield's house as well as Princess Margaret's.  Little did I know that Patrick Lichfield was there at the time and when I called the house to set up a time to come by, he got on the phone and said, come on by! He was very welcoming and let me photograph whatever I wanted, but no people shots.  The first photo is of his home called "Obsidian".  Everything looks so dated now.

interior-of-the-mustique-home-obsidian-patrick-anson-5th-earl-of-litchfield-photographed-in-the-early-1990s-located-in-the-caribbean-2H67G11.jpg

the-japanese-inspired-living-room-interior-of-shogun-the-mustique-home-of-architect-arne-hasselqvist-caribbean-west-indies-2H67G0T.jpg

mustique-west-indies-caribbean-villa-on-the-island-of-mustique-showing-the-dining-area-2H67G0Y.jpg

mustique-west-indies-caribbean-villa-on-the-island-of-mustique-showing-the-dining-area-2H67G0X.jpg

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, gvallee said:

Camping at Lara Wetlands, Queensland, Australia

2H6H930.jpg

2H6H92T.jpg

2H6H933.jpg

Gen, love your photos! I had a fantastic and very encouraging dream about my 12 year old granddaughter several weeks ago. In it, she was successfully navigating beautiful, though very tricky waters and terrain that looked quite familiar to me. It took me awhile to realize she was in the Oz of your photos. Since then I’ve shared the dream with her and occasionally link to some of your pics. She’s been enjoying them as much as me. So, thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Gen, love your photos! I had a fantastic and very encouraging dream about my 12 year old granddaughter several weeks ago. In it, she was successfully navigating beautiful, though very tricky waters and terrain that looked quite familiar to me. It took me awhile to realize she was in the Oz of your photos. Since then I’ve shared the dream with her and occasionally link to some of your pics. She’s been enjoying them as much as me. So, thanks!

Awwww... So your grand-daughter is living the dream as well !! Thank you so much for your kind words. I feel emotional inspiring someone. 

• Love 1

Last week, I had a holiday in the Lake District, and am gradually uploading some of my photos from that beautiful part of the country. It was lovely to get away after 2 years without a holiday. Here's a few of my favourites.

waterfall-and-footbridge-at-launchy-gill-with-autumn-colours-where-the-river-runs-into-thirlmere-reservoir-lake-district-cumbria-england-uk-2H65BWE.jpg

castlerigg-stone-circle-a-historic-landmark-in-cumbria-during-autumn-fall-november-at-dawn-or-sunrise-england-uk-2H65BXB.jpg

autumn-colour-alongside-a-country-road-with-dry-stone-walls-near-bassenthwaite-lake-in-cumbria-lake-district-england-uk-during-november-2H65C7H.jpg

close-up-of-a-waterfall-with-water-rushing-over-boulders-uk-2H679BH.jpg

red-squirrel-sciurus-vulgaris-at-a-feeder-in-the-lake-district-of-cumbria-england-uk-2H65C6A.jpg

• Love 2

8 hours ago, VbFolly said:

Last week, I had a holiday in the Lake District, and am gradually uploading some of my photos from that beautiful part of the country. It was lovely to get away after 2 years without a holiday. Here's a few of my favourites.

red-squirrel-sciurus-vulgaris-at-a-feeder-in-the-lake-district-of-cumbria-england-uk-2H65C6A.jpg

Nice to see the red squirrels coming back. I believe there is an ongoing drive to eradicate the greys in the area.

Allan

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Nice to see the red squirrels coming back. I believe there is an ongoing drive to eradicate the greys in the area.

Allan

I haven't photographed red squirrels since pre covid. I was sorting through some yesterday from a Yorkshire trip, but some appear to be missing. I'll upload a few soon.