October 2021 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

A bit of astro photography in the desert. Timing was not ideal as we were 2 days away from a full moon, so didn't allow for star trails or circles, but it gave an eerie feeling of Mars-like view.

I've no idea of the sale potential but I loved the shoot, particularly when a fox wandered through the sand dunes to investigate me.

The Pinnacles Desert, Western Australia

2GPE3FE.jpg

2GPE3G5.jpg

2GPE3FK.jpg

• Love 4

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

A bit of astro photography in the desert. Timing was not ideal as we were 2 days away from a full moon, so didn't allow for star trails or circles, but it gave an eerie feeling of Mars-like view.

I've no idea of the sale potential but I loved the shoot, particularly when a fox wandered through the sand dunes to investigate me.

The Pinnacles Desert, Western Australia

2GPE3FE.jpg

2GPE3G5.jpg

2GPE3FK.jpg

Love those images Gen.  Could be used on Sci-fi book covers.

Allan

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Love those images Gen.  Could be used on Sci-fi book covers.

Allan

Thanks Allan. Good idea but I only have daylight vertical shots.

10 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thanks Allan. Good idea but I only have daylight vertical shots.

Wraparound could work. Publishers would probably make portrait size out of them also.

Allan

• Love 1

Our travels have stopped for a little while to give our poor motorhome some TLC. We subjected it to hundreds of kms of corrugation, rough roads and river crossings. So I’m taking the opportunity to catch up on editing and uploading. A daunting task given the number of images! You might see one or two more posts from me...

Red jasper, the Pilbara, Western Australia

2GTD39J.jpg

Desert bloom in the Pilbara. It has been a record year for wildflowers after good rains.

2GTD50C.jpg

Camped at sunrise in the mist

2GTD513.jpg

Mackerel sky in the Australian Outback

2GTD3WH.jpg

• Love 2

This is one of my newly emerged Monarch butterflies. It formed its chrysalis on a milkweed leaf, which I abhor them doing. Most caterpillars crawl to the top of the mesh cage and hang from the ceiling. When they do it on the milkweed, I worry the cutting will die before the butterfly emerges, especially a leaf can wither.

Notice the large body here. It is full of fluid that it is pumping into the wing veins until they get large. Here the wings are wet and just leaving the crumpled stage.
Extra fluid is purged onto the cage floor once the wings are inflated. It takes about another 3-4 hours for the wings to dry before it can be released outdoors.

I have one that should emerge today, and two more possibly a day later.

a-captive-hand-raised-monarch-butterfly-

newly-emerged-monarch-butterfly-danaus-p

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NYCat said:

How fabulous, Betty. I saw one in NYC a few weeks back and thought of you. We don't get them much here. Not many butterflies of any kind.

Paulette

You might see some in Central Park, but I have no idea if flowers are planted there…or if milkweed grows there. I’ve released 4 new Monarch’s of my latest batch of 30. 3 males, 1 female. In July/early August, I released 17.

The batch of 30 will be the migrators. The earlier ones I raised bred the migrators.

My activity with them has interested my Oklahoma daughter, so she’ll be planting milkweed next spring. Also a friend of hers who listened in on my conversation with Debbie about them, got interested, too. When I say interested, excited may be “the word”.

Edited by Betty LaRue

I was heading out to shoot Rainbow Bee Eaters a few days ago, and at the last minute popped the second body with macro lens & light onto the back seat of the car. And how happy was I when hubby called me from just a few feet from where the car was parked. He'd found me this lovely caterpillar.

dragon-caterpillar-charaxes-sempronius-formerly-described-as-polyura-sempronius-coffs-harbour-nsw-australia-2GXRX0G.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cbimages said:

I was heading out to shoot Rainbow Bee Eaters a few days ago, and at the last minute popped the second body with macro lens & light onto the back seat of the car. And how happy was I when hubby called me from just a few feet from where the car was parked. He'd found me this lovely caterpillar.

dragon-caterpillar-charaxes-sempronius-formerly-described-as-polyura-sempronius-coffs-harbour-nsw-australia-2GXRX0G.jpg

Well done! How many times did I find interesting insects and I didn't have my macro lens handy....

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Well done! How many times did I find interesting insects and I didn't have my macro lens handy....

"Handy" my new macro isn't- it weighs almost the same as the camera body. But it has to go in the bag so I'm making up for some of the weight by carrying a smaller water bottle.;)

Not that I've taken a picture outside the garden for weeks.