• Jill Morgan: Lake Huron in winter
    • Michael Ventura: Two children
    • Ed Rooney: Beach in Hawaii
    • Avpics: Holidaymakers on the funfair wheel
    • cbimages: Waiting for sunrise
    • TeeCee: 'Waves' sculpture
    • meanderingemu: Seaside courtship
    • Colblimp: Girls jumping into the water

Oh this was so hard! I asked for the beauty, atmosphere and excitement of being beside the sea, and I got it in spades. I would have liked to choose at least 30 for the shortlist so I will try to give my reasons for selecting each one.

1. Lake Huron in winter by Jill Morgan: the seaside can be just as beautiful in winter.

standard-poodle-stands-in-the-sand-on-the-beach-of-a-frozen-lake-huron-G1JKWJ.jpg

2. Children by Michael Ventura: the seaside is all about being a child, whether you're 8 or 80.

caribbean-turks-and-caicos-islands-provodinciales-kids-find-a-starfish-AA906Y.jpg

3. Beach in Hawaii by Ed Rooney: Yes, it's a manufactured shot but for me it captures the end of a perfect day by the sea.

a-lone-figure-walking-barefoot-on-a-beac

4. Funfair wheel by Avpics: I included excitement in  the brief - how more exciting can you get? (Rather you than me...)

thrill-riders-on-axis-ride-on-seafront-theme-park-of-southend-on-sea-essex-uk-as-england-opens-up-after-lockdown-2GDC9JK.jpg

5. Waiting for sunrise in Bali by cbimages: just beautiful and full of atmosphere.

three-people-sitting-in-a-balinese-pagoda-on-sanur-beach-at-sunrise-sanur-beach-bali-indonesia-PW6NJ9.jpg

6. "Waves" sculpture by TeeCee: an imaginative take on the subject.

seaton-devon-17th-nov-2017-uk-weather-pe

7. Amorous penguins by meanderingemu: the seaside isn't all about sun, sea and people.

pair-of-african-penguin-on-a-large-rock-with-affection-display-one-braying-while-other-lower-head-as-if-blushing-RNF2PW.jpg

8. Girls jumping into the water by Colblimp: if this doesn't capture the sheer enjoyment of being at the seaside, I don't know what does.

bantry-west-cork-ireland-29th-june-2018-after-a-scorchingly-hot-day-during-the-current-heatwave-a-group-of-young-girls-jump-into-the-sea-from-a-pontoon-as-the-sun-goes-down-in-bantry-the-rest-of-the-weekend-will-be-cooler-than-previous-days-with-rain-forecast-for-next-week-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-P6DT6D.jpg

Edited by Inchiquin
  • Love 2

So... we have a winner! It was neck and neck most of the way but the winner broke clear in the final furlong - Colonel Blimp's girls jumping into the water.

Well done Andy - now over to you to set this month's challenge.

Alan

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Oh dear.  Thanks very much for all your kind words and special thanks to Alan for setting such a good subject and everyone who entered.

I'll put my thinking cap on and set something up either tonight or tomorrow.

• Love 2

On 06/09/2021 at 19:43, Colblimp said:

Oh dear.  Thanks very much for all your kind words and special thanks to Alan for setting such a good subject and everyone who entered.

I'll put my thinking cap on and set something up either tonight or tomorrow.

Well done! Great image.

Kumar

• Thanks 1