Nikon FX or DX

A warning on going up quite a bit in megapixels. You will need to pay more attention to your shooting mechanics. The more megapixels you have, the more magnified the errors, like camera shake. I found that out going from the D7000 DX to the D800 FX. I had to shoot more deliberately and forget the quick grab shots unless SS was high. An extra few seconds.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

A warning on going up quite a bit in megapixels. You will need to pay more attention to your shooting mechanics. The more megapixels you have, the more magnified the errors, like camera shake. I found that out going from the D7000 DX to the D800 FX. I had to shoot more deliberately and forget the quick grab shots unless SS was high. An extra few seconds.

Also more storage space for photos and good enough computer to work on the larger files.  

I use D7500 as my daily camera with heavy Sigma 18-35mm, but most of my recent stock images are taken with D610 and 50mm lens, mostly because it take less space and easier to carry around.

And you have D3100 that is really a light weight camera, but D6xx/D7xx will feel more solid in your hands but a bit heavier.

Everything I have on Alamy is DX Nikon and currently using D7200 and D3400.  I have looked at FX but have many DX lenses that would not help much on FX.  I have considered the D7500 as all my lenses would work fine on it but also looking a mirrorless as that seems to be the future. 

• Love 1

On 21/07/2021 at 16:05, sb photos said:

I was 70 a few weeks back, and also intend to continue shooting stock and reportage.

I currently use 2 D750's, with 17-35, 24-70 and 70-300mm lenses. If I did add any other kit it would be the Tamron G2 2.8 70-200, but currently can't cost justify it. They cover all I need. I still have my earlier DX camera's, a D7100 and D7200, with 10-24, 16-85, 70-210, 70-300 and 8mm fisheye DX lenses, for backup. They get very little use now, but occasionally as a light option I'll carry just the D7200 with the 16-85 lens. The D750's weren't too expensive for what they are capable of. My reason for buying full frame was mainly for lower digital noise at higher iso's, and faster and better lenses. The one Nikon DX body I sometimes long for is the D500.

As others have said, images shot on DX sold no problem.

Steve,

A NIKKOR that might interest you is the NIKKOR 70-200 F4 VR.  I got tired of dragging the 70-200 f2.8 around and I love the F4.

Light weight and SHARP.  They can be had for a pretty fair deal.

Chuck

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Steve,

A NIKKOR that might interest you is the NIKKOR 70-200 F4 VR.  I got tired of dragging the 70-200 f2.8 around and I love the F4.

Chuck

Chuck, you could be right there. I know a few photographers that suffer from back problems or fatigue from carrying a heavy bag all day that have moved over to F4 lenses.

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

Chuck, you could be right there. I know a few photographers that suffer from back problems or fatigue from carrying a heavy bag all day that have moved over to F4 lenses.

Now that noise is much better controlled in newer cameras, the need for the fastest lens out there isn’t as necessary anymore. Just up the ISO.

On 22/07/2021 at 22:01, Michael Ventura said:

Also more storage space for photos and good enough computer to work on the larger files.  

Thank you, everyone, for all this excellent advice. I bid on a D750 on Ebay but didn't succeed so am still looking. I have a 16 GB gaming PC, though I do no gaming, and it does everything that bit quicker so I recommend one for an easier life.

On 26/07/2021 at 21:19, Chuck Nacke said:

I got rid of my f2,8 and got that lens - its great. As Chuck says, light, quick to focus and wickedly sharp.

On 27/07/2021 at 23:26, sb photos said:

I use a D610 and have the privilege of owning the classic trio of f/2,8 zooms .....14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm, all of which are the bees knees in my book but damn heavy!!

However advancing years and a neurological problem affecting my walking makes getting around more tiring than it used to be. On a typical day shooting in London I can cover over 6 miles on foot, so quite knackering. I don't go out carrying all those lenses, but even the 24-70, my workhorse glass, is a lump on it's own and I am seriously considering trading in the whole lot (the lenses are truly in mint condition) for a Z6 Mk ll with a Z 24-70. The other alternative I'm considering is maybe going with a Fujifilm XT-3. A bit torn so any pointers from anyone using either system would be appreciated.

I think Betty makes a good point regarding fast lenses and modern camera noise control, so a big weight saving to be had there too.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.

20 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

The other alternative I'm considering is maybe going with a Fujifilm XT-3

I'm a Fuji user, but X-T2 in my case (well, plus X100, X-E1 & X-Pro1). However I also use a Canon full-frame with the 24-105mm which is an excellent combination, a well-respected sharp lens. The equivalent in the Fuji XF lens range is going to be between the 18-55 f4-5.6 OIS 'kit' lens, 16-55 f2.8 or 16-80mm f4 OIS. I bought the kit lens on the X-E1 body very cheaply and it is much better than I had expected, it is also tiny compared to the Canon, I rather miss the external aperture ring of other Fuji lenses though but then that's just a Fuji thing, never had it on the Canon. It would be good to hear feedback on the 16-55 or 16-80, I certainly don't have a problem with the quality from the Fuji sensor though the Nikon will inevitably have better dynamic range and high ISO performance. Mirrorless is great by the way but I especially appreciate it because I need reading glasses for anything close, no problem on the Fujis because I can review everything through the viewfinder rather than peer at the screen.

Edited by Harry Harrison

4 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

I use a D610 and have the privilege of owning the classic trio of f/2,8 zooms .....14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm, all of which are the bees knees in my book but damn heavy!!

However advancing years and a neurological problem affecting my walking makes getting around more tiring than it used to be. On a typical day shooting in London I can cover over 6 miles on foot, so quite knackering. I don't go out carrying all those lenses, but even the 24-70, my workhorse glass, is a lump on it's own and I am seriously considering trading in the whole lot (the lenses are truly in mint condition) for a Z6 Mk ll with a Z 24-70. The other alternative I'm considering is maybe going with a Fujifilm XT-3. A bit torn so any pointers from anyone using either system would be appreciated.

I think Betty makes a good point regarding fast lenses and modern camera noise control, so a big weight saving to be had there too.

Given that you are already a Nikon FF user and used to the benefits of FF and the amazing Nikon sensors, I would think this is a no-brainer. The only question would be which Nikon Z camera to buy. The Z6 is still on sale and with all the firmware updates is not far off the Z6II unless you really need a second card slot and/or are doing a lot of action photography (the AF system is improved I believe in the second generation). As I said earlier in the thread and elsewhere on the forum, the 24-70 f4 Z is an amazing lens, best bought with the camera as it is much cheaper. Also it is wise to buy the F-mount adapter at the same time unless you are getting rid of all of your old lenses. The camera with this lens on weighs about 1.1 kg so is incredibly light. The 70-200 lenses are always heavy in any form for mirrorless cameras. 

As for the original question about FX or DX, there are several advantages to FX. The biggest ones are that the FX cameras have better build quality, better sensors (dynamic range, noise control) and for me have the huge advantage of being able to use quality wide angle lenses that don't break the bank. To get a 24mm equivalent on a DX camera, you need a 16mm lens which is never going to match a quality 24 mm (prime or zoom). Going back to the 24-70 f4 Z lens, it is super sharp at all focal lengths. 

Finally in relation to Betty's point, I don't think it is really an issue of noise control and using higher ISO just because the lens has a smaller maximum aperture. I would rarely or never shoot with the lens wide open in any case because of quality image. The more important point in my opinion is that when using mirrorless with an EVF it is not often necessary to have a fast lens as the EVF does the work in allowing you to see the scene in low light whereas, with a DSLR, a fast lens is advantageous. However, there are limitations if it gets too dark as the AF system might fail. In other words, when using a DSLR in low light, there is a clear advantage to using a fast lens as you can see more clearly whereas this is not the case for mirrorless. However, the AF system may not be happy with a slower lens as light levels fall. 

Edited by MDM

Excellent point about fast lenses in low light.  I used to have the 14-24mm which was a fabulous lens but I didn't use it all that much so sold it on, and yes it was a heavy piece of kit.  If I was buying new now I would probably go for the F4 lenses but for now I'm happy with what I've got.

Carol

On 29/07/2021 at 09:04, Harry Harrison said:

I'm a Fuji user, but X-T2 in my case (well, plus X100, X-E1 & X-Pro1). However I also use a Canon full-frame with the 24-105mm which is an excellent combination, a well-respected sharp lens. The equivalent in the Fuji XF lens range is going to be between the 18-55 f4-5.6 OIS 'kit' lens, 16-55 f2.8 or 16-80mm f4 OIS. I bought the kit lens on the X-E1 body very cheaply and it is much better than I had expected, it is also tiny compared to the Canon, I rather miss the external aperture ring of other Fuji lenses though but then that's just a Fuji thing, never had it on the Canon. It would be good to hear feedback on the 16-55 or 16-80, I certainly don't have a problem with the quality from the Fuji sensor though the Nikon will inevitably have better dynamic range and high ISO performance. Mirrorless is great by the way but I especially appreciate it because I need reading glasses for anything close, no problem on the Fujis because I can review everything through the viewfinder rather than peer at the screen.

On 29/07/2021 at 09:38, MDM said:

Given that you are already a Nikon FF user and used to the benefits of FF and the amazing Nikon sensors, I would think this is a no-brainer. The only question would be which Nikon Z camera to buy. The Z6 is still on sale and with all the firmware updates is not far off the Z6II unless you really need a second card slot and/or are doing a lot of action photography (the AF system is improved I believe in the second generation). As I said earlier in the thread and elsewhere on the forum, the 24-70 f4 Z is an amazing lens, best bought with the camera as it is much cheaper. Also it is wise to buy the F-mount adapter at the same time unless you are getting rid of all of your old lenses. The camera with this lens on weighs about 1.1 kg so is incredibly light. The 70-200 lenses are always heavy in any form for mirrorless cameras. 

As for the original question about FX or DX, there are several advantages to FX. The biggest ones are that the FX cameras have better build quality, better sensors (dynamic range, noise control) and for me have the huge advantage of being able to use quality wide angle lenses that don't break the bank. To get a 24mm equivalent on a DX camera, you need a 16mm lens which is never going to match a quality 24 mm (prime or zoom). Going back to the 24-70 f4 Z lens, it is super sharp at all focal lengths. 

Finally in relation to Betty's point, I don't think it is really an issue of noise control and using higher ISO just because the lens has a smaller maximum aperture. I would rarely or never shoot with the lens wide open in any case because of quality image. The more important point in my opinion is that when using mirrorless with an EVF it is not often necessary to have a fast lens as the EVF does the work in allowing you to see the scene in low light whereas, with a DSLR, a fast lens is advantageous. However, there are limitations if it gets too dark as the AF system might fail. In other words, when using a DSLR in low light, there is a clear advantage to using a fast lens as you can see more clearly whereas this is not the case for mirrorless. However, the AF system may not be happy with a slower lens as light levels fall. 

Interesting feedback, many thanks Michael and Harry.

I think I will be sticking with Nikon and checking out what sort of deal I can get trading in my lenses and go for the Z6 ll with the 24-70 f4 Z. Will probably hang on to the 70-200 f2,8 so will need the F mount adaptor. 

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Interesting feedback, many thanks Michael and Harry.

I think I will be sticking with Nikon and checking out what sort of deal I can get trading in my lenses and go for the Z6 ll with the 24-70 f4 Z. Will probably hang on to the 70-200 f2,8 so will need the F mount adaptor. 

That sounds like a good idea as there is not going to be a huge weight difference between the new Z 70-200 2.8 and the one you have. Definitely get the entire kit -camera, 24-70 f4 and the adapter at the same time as it is much cheaper than buying the adapter later. Do keep in mind that the Z6 is still an excellent camera and the differences between it and the Z6II are not major if you are not doing action or client work (where the second card slot would be desirable). If you are in London a visit to Grays of Westminster would be worthwhile I think as the customer service is excellent and they really know their Nikon stuff. 

On 21/07/2021 at 06:52, zxzoomy said:

I'm still using a Nikon D3100. I don't do action sports or low light at night. I'm 69 and have been taking photos for 61 years so may not have many years left. I'm tempted to buy a Nikon D780 with a 28-300mm lens. To put photos on Alamy, not to make 2 metre wide prints. Do bigger images get better sales? I see the real professionals here often downsizing images to 17.5 MB. I would welcome your advice and experiences before I spend £2,300. 

If you're only shooting for Alamy, I suggest saving your money - it's only on very rare occasions that bigger files translate to better sales (once, I think, in my 14 years with Alamy). I use D810s for work, (secondhand from MPB) and an RX100 for Alamy, and couldn't wish for better cameras, but then I do make 2-metre prints quite often. The really useful thing about the Nikon sensors is the ability to crop heavily if required, along with ISO invariance (though a number of other cameras also possess this quality).

I'm 71, by the way, and have no intention of giving up any time soon . . .

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you with what I did in the end. I bought a second hand D750 on Ebay and a 28-300 fx lens from MPB. The lens just arrived. Thank you for all your advice. I agree MPB are excellent. 

15 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

You won't regret it - the D750 is a fantastic camera. There is so much detail and info captured in its RAW files.

Agreed. I use 2, and the only problem I’ve ever had on one is when inserting a card into the top slot the catch that holds it in has failed. On occasions when I need 2 cards mirrored, I get by by inserting a small amount of high density foam on top of the card, and then a little tape over the door in case it opens. Must get it fixed one day. The same black tape helps keep the lens hood secure on my FX 70 - 300 Nikon afp lens. Must buy a new lens hood one day.

Edited by sb photos

5 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Good luck and enjoy your new gear, you will get used to it all in no time I think.....

Carol

Thank you. It is an impressive camera. And that 28-300mm lens!

On 21/07/2021 at 08:32, MDM said:

The lens is amazing as is the camera and they are incredibly light (about 1.1kg) which may be a big advantage for a 69 year old.

I am 63 and still carry my Canon 5D MK III with three L series lens in my Shimoda Action X30 backpack. Is this Weightism?