Nikon FX or DX

27 minutes ago, MB Photography said:

I am 63 and still carry my Canon 5D MK III with three L series lens in my Shimoda Action X30 backpack. Is this Weightism?

Goodonya. I carry what I think I will need on any particular day. 

On 11/08/2021 at 11:55, sb photos said:

and the only problem I’ve ever had on one is when inserting a card into the top slot the catch that holds it in has failed.

Me too, exactly that. I almost never need two slots so I haven't got it repaired yet.

On 21/07/2021 at 15:27, zxzoomy said:

I hadn't thought about the D600 series. I will look closer. I read that the D610 had less of the oil on sensor problem that some D600 had. And I hadn't heard of MPB before. Thank you to everyone who has commented. Much appreciated.

I bought my beginner girlfriend a D610 and it’s a fabulous camera. However, I’d be pushing you towards a used D750 and 24-70.  A great combination. 

13 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

I bought my beginner girlfriend a D610 and it’s a fabulous camera. However, I’d be pushing you towards a used D750 and 24-70.  A great combination. 

I use a D610 as secondary body to a D750 and though a very useful camera it doesn't come close to the 750 as the light drops, so that alone should push anybody that has the option towards the latter. An image such as this simply wouldn't be acceptable if taken with the 610 unless you could get everyone to stand still for a longer exposure!

2GD21K7.jpg

I love it, and I'm sure that all that choose it will.

2 minutes ago, Avpics said:

I use a D610 as secondary body to a D750 and though a very useful camera it doesn't come close to the 750 as the light drops, so that alone should push anybody that has the option towards the latter. An image such as this simply wouldn't be acceptable if taken with the 610 unless you could get everyone to stand still for a longer exposure!

2GD21K7.jpg

I love it, and I'm sure that all that choose it will.

Agreed about the D610 and low light. I shoot with a D5 and D4s so no problems there.  My 200-500 is permanently attached to my D700 which isn’t amazing in low light but I can get the shots I need. 

47 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Thank you all for the ideas. I now have a used D750 and a 28-300 which I like a lot.

• Love 2

4 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

Thank you all for the ideas. I now have a used D750 and a 28-300 which I like a lot.

Nice one... I transitioned from D3100 to D750 last year and I don't regret it. Love me a full framer. You should grab a cheap battery grip and an extra cell for long days outdoors. Even the non-genuine ones connect directly to the dedicated port on the bottom of the camera.

On 14/08/2021 at 20:25, RyanU said:

You should grab a cheap battery grip and an extra cell for long days outdoors. Even the non-genuine ones connect directly to the dedicated port on the bottom of the camera.

Yep, I got a cheapie and it works perfectly. It makes the camera so much more comfortable to hold. Mine even has a remote control for triggering the camera which is superb for shots on B setting.

I bought 2 grips soon after I bought the bodies. I have only used  them 2 or perhaps 3 times. Too bulky, both in your hand and take up extra space in a bag limiting what else you can carry. Now I've been reminded will have to look them out and eBay them.

12 hours ago, sb photos said:

Too bulky, both in your hand and take up extra space in a bag limiting what else you can carry.

They do take up space as they are quite bulky, but I wouldn't be without mine. It make vertical shooting so much easier and I use the remote control pretty often as well.