The new homepage

NYCat

The new homepage makes me sick to my stomach with the movement, quick changes, etc. I really cannot look at it. I know I am a very special person but I wonder if clients are having the same problem.

Paulette

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

The new homepage makes me sick to my stomach with the movement, quick changes, etc. I really cannot look at it. I know I am a very special person but I wonder if clients are having the same problem.

Paulette

i never go to the home page, but went to have a look.  But i have to agree that the quick change feels odd.

The quick turnover just makes viewers dizzy. Lingering for even a couple of seconds longer on each video clip would have made the montage -- which is good otherwise -- more engaging and effective IMHO.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

...with a new contract designed to drive away suppliers, and a new front screen designed to drive away customers, maybe this is all part of what the board think of as an “innovative and disruptive strategy” ?

GD

I keep checking to see if they have changed it but they have not. I have a work-around so I can search without throwing up or fainting but I honestly don't understand how someone can work from that screen. I'm not kidding when I say it is unbearable to me.

Paulette

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wim, I'm trying to gather some European slang. How do you say 'nah' in Dutch? In Scouse you say 'gghettys' or something like that.

Haha!

Getty is Getty. And nah is nah. Or nèh, but then its meaning may be a little bit more towards no. You know the Germans nowadays have Jein which is yes and no in one word?

Who said they have no humor?

The G is usually pronounced somewhere in the throat as it's a guttural. How far back depends on the dialect. Some even have a guttural R.

This video demonstrates A-H. And if you listen closely a totally opposite R can be heard: the Gooise R. Explanatory video here.

Foreigners discussing the G on the same channel.

The whole alphabet, again on this channel.

And if you're desperate for a phrase book:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91itakjlvoL._AC_UL160_.jpg

Amazon

There have been more recent editions, but I'm partial to this one. Why? Cover image here. 😁

wim

edit 2: in the videos, switch on CC.

Edited by wiskerke
link had gone missing
  • Thanks 1

Bedankt, Wim. You may know a few, but I've never encounter a Netherlander who didn't speak English. I wish that was true of the Spanish. 

Van Beethoven is a Dutch name a German friend told me. 

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Van Beethoven is a Dutch name a German friend told me. 

True. Otherwise it would have been Von.

I used to know where he (or rather his father) came from. The same with Karl Marx. I think his wife was Dutch.

Hmm.. Ludwig Van was of Belgian descent, Wikipedia tells me. I knew they had lived in Bonn before going to Vienna. Marx went to the university in Bonn, but by then Beethoven had died in Vienna. Ahh it was Karls' mother who was Dutch. Not Jenny, his wife.

I have no image of Beethoven. I do have Bach and Marx, both as a statue. We walked Beethoven's favorite walk though, after visiting his lovely house in Vienna. Where you can hear/feel how he would have heard his own music over time while going deaf. A sobering experience. No images of that, nor of the walk. At least not on Alamy.

wim

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Very interesting, Wim. Thanks. 

You're welcome.

A bit to the north of you, they have the same g/ch: video 1.

Could there be some truth in that the Scots are actually Dutch who came swimming across the North Sea? They went swimming because they were too stingy to pay for the ferry. 😂

Stingy = gierig in Dutch with 2 of those.

A different take on where the Scottish G/CH comes from in this short video. Oops .

wim

Edited by wiskerke
pronunciation of gierig