no sale of my pictures

Tariq Hameed Sulemani

Question

20 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, Tariq Hameed Sulemani said:

is this normal that no image sold even after 3000 images and three months after submission ?

Hi Tariq,

It can take up to 3-4 months after a photo has sold before it gets reported with some clients. It's difficult to say because it takes most contributors a few months to make their first sale, but they don't start off with 3000 images! I have 47 sales so far this year and 2950 images.

Some of your captions are very short. Alamy says this:

"Before you start, think about the potential use of the image and what it’s likely to be sold for, the more accurately you describe your image, the more visibility it will have in customer searches, which will significantly increase your chance of making a sale."

e.g. white eared bulbul. Where is it, maybe give the season, add the Latin name to the caption.

Also, if you have added enough keywords to get your images to 'good discoverability', then you might have too many irrelevant keywords, and that will hurt your CTR ranking (the higher your CTR ranking is, the higher your images appear in client searches). If your images appear in lots of searches, but are not zoomed, your CTR rank will drop. Have a look at this thread:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13264-discoverability/#comment-255576

Stephen

• Love 1

51 minutes ago, Tariq Hameed Sulemani said:

I am contributor of Alamy from two months and I have submitted more than 3000 pictures with good discoverability , but unfortunately not a single of my picture is sold out yet, please guide me what is going wrong with my account 

Nothing. It is a waiting game.

Allan

• Love 2

I think you are over keywording as well. The alamy "discoverability" bar that goes green is a very poor tool and should be ignored. All it does is count the number of keywords, so it invites people to add too many. Just add words that are relevnant for the image. So in your image 2CWRKRF I see the words abstract, apricot, background, blur, bokeh, cherry blossom...All these are not directly relevant and should be deleted. Imagine an editor looking for images of cherry blossom. He would not choose yours, so your rank will go down. Your keywords should describe Who What Why Where When and How, and then add any emotional words like happiness, strength, sadness. Sometimes you will get 50 keywords, sometimes it will just be 10. The discoverability bar - just pretend its not there. I have 18000 images here and about 600 are green.

• Love 2

45 minutes ago, Tariq Hameed Sulemani said:

is this normal that no image sold even after 3000 images and three months after submission ?

Hello Tariq,

It is normal. 

Saw my first sale 9 months I think, if I remember correctly, after first upload.

Nothing wrong with pictures, nothing at all, very nice actually.  Others have mentioned adding Latin names for your wildlife.  I looked at some of your birds and besides missing the Latin name you are missing the word bird in the caption, and for example the cherry blossoms, you might want to add the word tree those kinds of obvious words; still important and buyers do search using those simple words too so have them in your captions.  Very nice, sellable or sale-able images.

Helen

Edited by hsessions
  • Love 2

Just to clarify my technique. The caption describes Who What Why Where When and How. The main words from the caption are then repeated in the tags, and made into supertags. Andas others have said give the latin name and the location of your birds. An editor may want an image of such a bird taken in, for example, Gilgit to illustrate a piece on wildlife in that area. The photo with the location has a bit more authenticity implied than one that does not, even if its exactly the same bird.Your captions need to be much more specific, such as 2CTF6P4 (which is on page 5) just says cherry blossom in northern areas. Where, which valley, what is the peak behind (is it Rakaposhi?), which area of Pakistan. Don<t forget that you live in an area that is difficult for us westerners to visit, so try to document people going about their daily lives. Daily life up there in northern Pakistan will be pretty different from daily life here in Canada.

• Like 1

I waited about 9 months for my first sale - and that was back in 2003 when there were far fewer images on Alamy.

It can take three months and more for a sale to be reported. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2

Tariq, if you hang in there you will make sales. but . . .

I see you have done this in your captions sometimes:  "Eiffel tower ,pairs France Pakistan"  Why do you have Pakistan in the caption? And I assume that's Paris not pairs. 

You need to widen your stock subjects range. I didn't happen across anything that said Pakistan. 

Good luck

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

And do look at All of Alamy or AoA for short, which is the total of searches of known paying clients. You have to be logged in for this. In your case, put %pakistan% in the Search Term field. The %% is a database thing. Or use %gilgit% or %baltistan% or %norway%. Set the starting date as far back as possible, at this moment: 01-Oct-2019.

Now you can change the order around. The yellow column on the right explains the terms.

UCO high to low is obviously important, but also have a look at Views set low to high: it will give you all search terms that have not resulted in an image on Alamy. That does not mean there are no images of that subject! Only that there are no images for that search term.

wim

• Love 1

Also, alternative wildlife names, where they exist. The white eared bulbul is also known as the white cheeked bulbul. Grammatically, it should be ‘white-cheeked/white-eared’. Don’t think the hyphen is important in a search though.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Something else to consider is that if you have these same images available on microstock sites, it could be negatively affecting your sales possibilities here. I hesitate to mention this because some people disagree, but it seems obvious to me. You have an attractive portfolio. Best of luck.

• Love 2

Other thing I noticed was that some of the cherry blossom photos were focused on a large building.  The cherry blossoms were barely visible.  I was more interested in the building.  What is it?   Does it have a name?   What is the name of the mountain range behind it?

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Steve F said:

Hi Tariq,

It can take up to 3-4 months after a photo has sold before it gets reported with some clients. It's difficult to say because it takes most contributors a few months to make their first sale, but they don't start off with 3000 images! I have 47 sales so far this year and 2950 images.

Some of your captions are very short. Alamy says this:

"Before you start, think about the potential use of the image and what it’s likely to be sold for, the more accurately you describe your image, the more visibility it will have in customer searches, which will significantly increase your chance of making a sale."

e.g. white eared bulbul. Where is it, maybe give the season, add the Latin name to the caption.

Also, if you have added enough keywords to get your images to 'good discoverability', then you might have too many irrelevant keywords, and that will hurt your CTR ranking (the higher your CTR ranking is, the higher your images appear in client searches). If your images appear in lots of searches, but are not zoomed, your CTR rank will drop. Have a look at this thread:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/13264-discoverability/#comment-255576

Stephen

thanks a lot for your kindness , you guided me better , best regsrds

15 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

I think you are over keywording as well. The alamy "discoverability" bar that goes green is a very poor tool and should be ignored. All it does is count the number of keywords, so it invites people to add too many. Just add words that are relevnant for the image. So in your image 2CWRKRF I see the words abstract, apricot, background, blur, bokeh, cherry blossom...All these are not directly relevant and should be deleted. Imagine an editor looking for images of cherry blossom. He would not choose yours, so your rank will go down. Your keywords should describe Who What Why Where When and How, and then add any emotional words like happiness, strength, sadness. Sometimes you will get 50 keywords, sometimes it will just be 10. The discoverability bar - just pretend its not there. I have 18000 images here and about 600 are green.

good points , thanks for kindness  , regards

I think I win the longest wait for my first image to licence at 2 years and 3 months from joining. Was on the point of giving up but I am patient and will not be beaten.

Allan