Best Movies Featuring Photography or Photographers

56 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this documentary when is comes out soon, "The Way I See It", about Obama White House photographer, Pete Souza.  Regardless of politics, I think he did an outstanding job of covering a president.

Looks fascinating. 

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’m looking forward to seeing the Pete Souza documentary, too.

I watched Kodachrome last night. It was a tough subject, but I thought Ed Harris was brilliant. 

I only watched the trailer so far but it is definitely coming soon to my living room. 

• Love 1

On 15/08/2020 at 13:57, MDM said:

Night Crawler with Jake Gyllenhaal. Available on Amazon. Great story and explores ethical issues around photojournalism. 

Night Crawler I remember viewing that film. It's edgy. It makes for grim, disturbing narrative. 

On 15/08/2020 at 12:07, Michael Ventura said:

Work is quiet again and no plans for the weekend, any thoughts on movies that feature photography or photographers that I could stream on Netflix or Amazon?  Could be documentaries as well.

A few that come to my mind are:

Blow-Up, Bridges of Madison County and Finding Vivian Maier

Hitchcocks Rear Window that's worth watching.. 🤔

• Love 2

35 minutes ago, MDM said:
57 minutes ago, R De Marigny said:

Hitchcocks Rear Window that's worth watching.. 🤔

Yes definitely. I watched it not so long ago in fact. Ingenious movie. 

Pretty much anything by Hitchcock is worth watching!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Pretty much anything by Hitchcock is worth watching!

Yes sure. I watched Psycho and Vertigo again not so long ago. 

Rear Window is amazing in terms of the concept and cinematography as well as being very appropriate for the time of lockdown  - the photographer confined to his apartment looking at all the snapshots of the lives going on around him. A remake with that in mind would be interesting although I don’t think anything would match the original. Hitchcock was unique. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yea I first thought of Rear Window when I started reading this thread.

Not long ago, I saw a horror movie called Polaroid on Netflix. Low budget B grade movie about someone who obtains an old Polaroid camera that seems to be cursed. Disturbing things happen to people who are photographed by this camera. Not a great film but entertaining and a bit of fun. 

The Bang Bang Club

I haven't seen Salvador in which a photo journalist covers the military dictatorship in El Salvador. Though Ive heard good things about it. 

Under Fire with Nick Nolte

Peeping Tom (1960) about a disturbed individual who films people in dire situations with a 16mm cine camera.

The trailer for Peeping Tom is also unusual in itself.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone able to access MSNBC, The Way I See It, the two hour film about Pete Souza’s time as White House photographer for Presidents Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan, will be aired this Friday night, Oct 16, beginning at 10:00 PM Eastern time.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

For anyone able to access MSNBC, The Way I See It, the two hour film about Pete Souza’s time as White House photographer for Presidents Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan, will be aired this Friday night, Oct 16, beginning at 10:00 PM Eastern time.

Yes! Can’t wait to watch it! Pete Souza is the best photographer to ever officially cover a U.S. president. And there have been many good ones. Love his Instagram feed...sadly his mother just passed away this weekend.

On 17/08/2020 at 12:42, Michael Ventura said:

I'm looking forward to seeing this documentary when is comes out soon, "The Way I See It", about Obama White House photographer, Pete Souza.  Regardless of politics, I think he did an outstanding job of covering a president.

Just finished watching this amazing documentary, it aired for the first time last night on MSNBC but I recorded it to watch today.  I hope it can be streamed around the world at some point soon.  It is not only a great film about a photojournalist, it is a great perspective of the office of the U.S. president.  I will avoid any political talk here but I will just say it is well worth watching.    

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I debated with myself and ended up watching it last night. I also have it recorded, so will probably watch again in a couple of weeks. I found it to be very inspirational, both in regards to photography and to leadership. Much of it was also quite moving, and I found myself tearing up several times. 

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I debated with myself and ended up watching it last night. I also have it recorded, so will probably watch again in a couple of weeks. I found it to be very inspirational, both in regards to photography and to leadership. Much of it was also quite moving, and I found myself tearing up several times. 

Teared up several times as well.

Edited by Michael Ventura

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Teared up several times as well.

Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed the trailer. It made me feel nostalgic (and somewhat hopeful) for saner times. Shall check to see if the full documentary is viewable in Canada.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1

The Bang Bang Club?  Have read a bit about each of the photographers, very interesting bios, really cool and brave photojournalists. Could have been a best but according to expert reviews wasn't.  Sorry Michael, haven't watched it myself so can't recommend.  If anyone has watched it how would you rate it?

Helen

Edited by hsessions

Don't forget about 'My Year of Living Dangerously"  Hunt played a photographer, among other things.

One of my favorite movies, even though I have come to dislike Gibson,

Then there is 'Apocalypse Now" where my friend Dennis Hopper (RIP) plays a photographer and for the 

period he does it well.

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Nobody mentioned Full Metal Jacket. Matthew Modine is a photog in the Nam for the second half of that Kubrick film. I've never been able to put my finger on it, but that vision of the war seemed wrong. ???

Someone did list Under Fire. Sorry. Ed Harris had an important small role in that.