AP ditching Canon and kitting out their photographer with Sony Kit

Read on Petapixel earlier that AP are ditching Canon and kitting out their photographers and videographers with Sony kit. In a video an AP representative said one of the benefits would be making it easier swopping kit between staff if required, including swapping memory cards, which sounded rather odd. Might be some well used Canon kit making its way onto the secondhand market.

Edited by sb photos

57 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

That is interesting, I presume that they are using Canon DSLRs so that would mean they are all switching to mirrorless, quite a change.

I suspect the biggest change would be switching systems rather than going from DSLR to mirrorless. I have not used any Sonys besides the RX100-VA but, if the menu systems in the pro cameras are anything like the RX100-VA, then I would think it might take a few days at least to get accustomed and longer to build up the muscle memory to use the new cameras efficiently.  Otherwise the change should be fairly seamless. I find I need to concentrate more when switching from mirrorless Nikon back to DSLR Nikon - the fact that I am using an optical viewfinder which is no longer WYSIWYG so I have to meter at all times is the thing to remember (applies to manual metering of course). 

The biggie looks like being able to have a consistent lens mount from mostly stills cameras to dedicated video cameras.  Not sure if the menu structure would also be similar between the two types of cameras.  (F)E mount on everything.  Not sure all use the same new bigger battery, though. 

10 hours ago, sb photos said:

Read on Petapixel earlier that AP are ditching Canon and kitting out their photographers and videographers with Sony kit. In a video an AP representative said one of the benefits would be making it easier swopping kit between staff if required, including swapping memory cards, which sounded rather odd. Might be some well used Canon kit making its way onto the secondhand market.

I don't think you would want to buy  used AP equipment.....

Chuck

I rather liked this question put to AP by DPR, but thought they could have found a better description.

"Do you have a sense of the ratio of a9-series to a7-series cameras that you’re going to be onboarding?"

Onboarding? Google tells me it is 1970's recruitment management speak, but to be honest it's the first I've seen it in the context of buying some camera's.

Moan over!!

Edited by Mr Standfast
letter re prioritisation to comply with accepted spelling protocol.
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

management speak

They'll be downsizing to a non-positive numeral the inventory of non-sibilant-initialled photographic origination apparatuses, along with the accompanying optical assemblages, instantaneous illumination devices, electronic potential sources and concomitant accessorial particles, then.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

I rather liked this question put to AP by DPR, but thought they could have found a better description.

"Do you have a sense of the ratio of a9-series to a7-series cameras that you’re going to be onboarding?"

Onboarding? Google tells me it is 1970's recruitment management speak, but to be honest it's the first I've seen it in the context of buying some camera's.

Moan over!!

Oh the important things to moan about. So I expect you would have been having a moan about the incorporation of the word standfast into the English language back in the early 18th century. What would your Alamy username have been before that I wonder 😀? Apparently the word propaganda  was introduced around the same time as well as the term o’clock. I bet the latter saw some of those with tendencies to be resistant to change having a good old moan at the time. 

By the way you have an incorrect apostrophe there. Now that is definitely worth a moan 😀 eats shoots and leaves

Edited by MDM

22 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Ohh. Associated Press. Here was me thinking Amateur Photographer.😉

Allan

• Love 2

23 hours ago, MDM said:

I suspect the biggest change would be switching systems rather than going from DSLR to mirrorless. I have not used any Sonys besides the RX100-VA but, if the menu systems in the pro cameras are anything like the RX100-VA, then I would think it might take a few days at least to get accustomed and longer to build up the muscle memory to use the new cameras efficiently.  Otherwise the change should be fairly seamless. I find I need to concentrate more when switching from mirrorless Nikon back to DSLR Nikon - the fact that I am using an optical viewfinder which is no longer WYSIWYG so I have to meter at all times is the thing to remember (applies to manual metering of course). 

Apart from the initial setup with my Sony kit I hardly need to touch the menu using the bodies mainly on manual except for focusing and the menu items I need to use on a more regular basis are under the Function button.

Having said that I don't find the menu too problematic.

Allan

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

They'll be downsizing to a non-positive numeral the inventory of non-sibilant-initialled photographic origination apparatuses, along with the accompanying optical assemblages, instantaneous illumination devices, electronic potential sources and concomitant accessorial particles, then.

Then the team will be expected to get all their ducks in a row, to think outside the box while liaising and rally around to ensure reaching out at all times.

God I hate corporate speak!

51 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Apart from the initial setup with my Sony kit I hardly need to touch the menu using the bodies mainly on manual except for focusing and the menu items I need to use on a more regular basis are under the Function button.

Having said that I don't find the menu too problematic.

Allan

I found the menu system on the only Sony camera that I have used (RX100VA) to be quite complex and not terribly intuitive in its layout but then I have only used Nikons for years and they all have similar menu systems so I did have to do a bit of reading to get a good grasp on it all. There is a vast number of settings for such a tiny machine.  I like to feel I am in control with a good understanding of the various functions and settings so I spent some time on it.  The manual is good but like most manufacturer manuals it does not really say what is and what is not useful. The tiny controls don’t make it any easier to use but they come with the territory (pardon the expression). 

But yes, I should not judge Sony menu systems and ease of use from such a tiny camera. However, it is one thing casually taking pictures out and about or in the home and another shooting in high or extreme pressure situations. For that using the camera has to be second nature and that is always going to require investment of time to understand it as well as practising so that it becomes an extension of oneself. I don’t want to have to think about how to initiate focus tracking when the subject is about to disappear out of the frame. This applies whatever kit one is using. I expect there will be a few mistakes made and shots lost before the AP photographers find using the new kit to be second nature. 

• Love 1

22 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I don't think you would want to buy  used AP equipment.....

Chuck

When I had my used Hasselblad stuff, I paid to have one lens recoated, formerly owned by a pro.  Another lens was in near mint shape -- pretty obviously not used much and apparently from an amateur.

3 hours ago, MizBrown said:

When I had my used Hasselblad stuff, I paid to have one lens recoated, formerly owned by a pro.  Another lens was in near mint shape -- pretty obviously not used much and apparently from an amateur.

Likely been cleaned with spit and a tie if the photographer was wearing one. During the 70's I remember a local press photographer doing that.

12 hours ago, sb photos said:

Likely been cleaned with spit and a tie if the photographer was wearing one. During the 70's I remember a local press photographer doing that.

I've used the tail of a Ralph Lauren button down shirt since the days of NIKON F's (late 70's)

I never use starch on my shirts.....

Chuck