Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Many of you know or suspect me of being a 20th-century Brooklyn boy. I am. As such, I find myself uncomfortable with many things here in the 21st century. I'm going to attempt a list. It's not that I want to get rid of these things altogether. Mostly, it's the excess of them I don't like. 

Here we go! And Alamy -- this does concern stock photography because I take pictures of all of them.

Gambling parlors, fast food, street food, apps, digital updates, tourism, odd cleanup machines, assault rifles, young groups of drunks, the homeless, Hollywood violence, advertising, and PR masquerading as news, trash on the street.

That's not the complete list, but I'll leave it for now.

Gambling parlors: I see nothing wrong with placing a bet as long as it's not the kids' milk money you're using. But along the streets of Liverpool, there seem to be as many betting places as coffee shops.  

2T9R7AT.jpg

My hates...

Which I have deleted, lifes too short.

Edo,

US - Betting Parlour

UK - Betting shop

All the best 🦔

Edited by Mr Standfast

4 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Well according to the International Monterey Fund (IMF), the U.S. and North America, as a whole, has fared better than Europe and much of the rest of the world, for consumer product inflation.  Only a few other countries and regions have done better since Covid 19.  Inflation really took off, during Covid, when the supply chain was greatly disrupted and then I think a lot of major global corporations took advantage of the situation and are making record profits.

You can see graphs and timeline here

Michael, I suspect there are some food items people refuse to give up. Coffee isn’t a food item, it’s a comfort thing. I can get cheaper coffee (Edo) and I have done so. But once I found Dunkin’ Doughnuts brand, well, it’s just the best for my palate. Smoother, doesn’t have the bite others do considering I drink it black. It’s a 30 ounce container, not quite 2 pounds. I just finished another brand, much cheaper, but went back to my favorite last week & it was like, ahhhh. I’ll just consider it my luxury item.

Although you have to admit, beef has gone sky high.

After all, remember…I do my own hair & nails. I can buy my coffee & still come out $60 a month cheaper than if I went to salons. And that is strictly haircuts, no weekly shampoo & blow dry.

Although I went to a nail salon in late September & got a pedicure, my first ever. I went with my daughter who was having neck surgery in 2 days, & couldn’t stand to bend over to do her toes. I got purple polish with sparklies in it, & by golly, 2 1/2 months later, it still hasn’t chipped, although I have cut them once. Although they are covered up with warm socks now. 😥

Edited by Betty LaRue

Coffee I brew my own at home in a Moka pot, but if out and about I worship at the shrine of Greggs, cheap and cheerful. Thinking of buying a Greggs Xmas outfit but may resist the temptation. 

https://www.greggs.co.uk/news/greggs-x-primark-gift-guide

Edited by Bryan

I make my coffee in a French press even though I'm a quasi-Romano. Espresso is too fine a grind for this thing.  

2RGFW2A.jpg

Bryan, you seem to have 486 fix-it skills I don't possess. And I would come in last in a foot race.

Edited by Ed Rooney

For myself, I enjoy tourism. It helps support a variety of bistros here in Liverpool. And I enjoy giving directions to British travelers in my American accent. Just yesterday, two women with a paper map asked me where Liverpool One shopping centre was. They were standing at the entrance. 

But . . . for 20 years I helped promote air travel, one of the major causes of climate change.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

for 20 years I helped promote air travel

Don't fret too much, Ed, it's only 3%................anyway, it's not all bad. We have twin grandsons a bus ride away and a grand-daughter in New Zealand. We don't take the bus there.

Edited by spacecadet

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Michael, I suspect there are some food items people refuse to give up. Coffee isn’t a food item, it’s a comfort thing. I can get cheaper coffee (Edo) and I have done so. But once I found Dunkin’ Doughnuts brand, well, it’s just the best for my palate. Smoother, doesn’t have the bite others do considering I drink it black. It’s a 30 ounce container, not quite 2 pounds. I just finished another brand, much cheaper, but went back to my favorite last week & it was like, ahhhh. I’ll just consider it my luxury item.

Although you have to admit, beef has gone sky high.

After all, remember…I do my own hair & nails. I can buy my coffee & still come out $60 a month cheaper than if I went to salons. And that is strictly haircuts, no weekly shampoo & blow dry.

Although I went to a nail salon in late September & got a pedicure, my first ever. I went with my daughter who was having neck surgery in 2 days, & couldn’t stand to bend over to do her toes. I got purple polish with sparklies in it, & by golly, 2 1/2 months later, it still hasn’t chipped, although I have cut them once. Although they are covered up with warm socks now. 😥

I love Dunkin's coffee too, for the same reason, not bitter.  For the longest time, that was all I drank at home but now I have switched to Green Mountain, still smooth and not bitter and a bit cheaper.  I do see that Target sells Dunkin brand ground coffee for $8.59/pound

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Coffee I brew my own at home in a Moka pot, but if out and about I worship at the shrine of Greggs, cheap and cheerful. Thinking of buying a Greggs Xmas outfit but may resist the temptation. 

https://www.greggs.co.uk/news/greggs-x-primark-gift-guide

Photographed this guy wearing a Greggs Christmas jumper at the weekend - I guess he thought it was cheap enough to get ruined!

9th-december-2023-competitors-riding-the

• Love 2

2 hours ago, VbFolly said:

Photographed this guy wearing a Greggs Christmas jumper at the weekend - I guess he thought it was cheap enough to get ruined!

9th-december-2023-competitors-riding-the

I visited a "G" establishment a little while ago to try their coffee in an emergency. (I needed the loo.)

Shall not be going again.

Best thing that could happen to the jumper.😃

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

What was I thinking about starting this complaint post just before Christmas? I'm a Grinch!

Allow me one more complaint -- modern over-packaging that is next to impossible to open.  

🎅

Yes. A thousand greenies for this one. I'm lucky to come away uninjured. I think all products should be quality tested with little old ladies who have a bit of arthritis in their hands. I have a neat tool for opening jars (not a man) but packaging is likely to defeat me.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 19:10, Ed Rooney said:

What was I thinking about starting this complaint post just before Christmas? I'm a Grinch!

Allow me one more complaint -- modern over-packaging that is next to impossible to open.  

🎅

Try opening a big jar of Freshona pickled cornichons from Lidl. I'm no weakling but those lids are pretty challenging!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Dave, I sliced my hand open (5 stitches) and bruised the other hand last week. I need the help of one of Paulette's animal pals to help me get into things.

Edo! I'm taking that skateboard away! Take care.

🦔

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Dave, I sliced my hand open (5 stitches) and bruised the other hand last week. I need the help of one of Paulette's animal pals to help me get into things.

A grizzly would do. They can open clams easily. Rather large for your apartment, though, and they would eat all your salmon. Five stitches is a lot. Now I'm even more afraid of opening things. I'd say "be careful" but I guess you already know to do that.

Paulette

51 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Grizzlies are not big on sharing. 

I sliced myself up trying to get the pit out of an avocado with a paring knife. From now on I'll use a spoon. 

Dang Edo!  I thought I was the one who was accident prone.  Spoon will work!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ouch!! Go easy Edo, hope that doesn’t interfere with your ability to shoot stock. Hope all heals soon.

• Like 1

Not so much, Dave, but everything requires being more careful.

And folks, it's best to avoid Hawaii at Christmas. They endlessly play 12 Days of Christmas with maddening Hawaiian lyrics:

On the 1st day of Christmas, my Tutu gave to me
1 Mynah bird in 1 Papaya tree
On the 2nd day of Christmas, my Tutu gave to me
2 Coconuts, an 1 Mynah Bird in 1 Papaya Tree.
On the 3rd day of Christmas, my Tutu gave to me
3 Dry Squid,
2 Coconuts, an 1 Mynah Bird in 1 Papaya Tree
On the 4th day of Christmas, my Tutu gave to me
4 Flowa Leis, 3 Dry Squid,
2 Coconuts, an 1 Mynah Bird in 1 Papaya Tree

😧

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Grizzlies are not big on sharing. 

I sliced myself up trying to get the pit out of an avocado with a paring knife. From now on I'll use a spoon. 

Make sure the avocados are ripe before opening.   The best way to get a pit out if the avocado is truly ripe is knife along the long axis, keeping fingers out of the way, and twisting.  But local avocados tend to be riper than what people get in the export markets.   If the avocado is over ripe, the spoon will work fine.   Had an avocado yesterday that had sat at room temperature for two days, and the pit just came out.  Thing was over-ripe.

35 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Make sure the avocados are ripe before opening.   The best way to get a pit out if the avocado is truly ripe is knife along the long axis, keeping fingers out of the way, and twisting.  But local avocados tend to be riper than what people get in the export markets.   If the avocado is over ripe, the spoon will work fine.   Had an avocado yesterday that had sat at room temperature for two days, and the pit just came out.  Thing was over-ripe.

Problem is in the UK avocados are usually supplied very under-ripe. They are suitable as ammunition.