Jump to content

Post a bad thing that happened in your life today


Ed Rooney

Recommended Posts

Broken

 

Yesterday we had our broken aircon fixed.

Today we went to a camera repair shop for my broken XQD card.

I had an appointment an hour later at a place to fix my broken drone.

Unfortunately, while manoeuvring outside the camera shop, a bit from our motorhome steering sheared off. Broken.

Hubby went underneath our bus to figure out where the broken bit on the ground had come from and promptly broke his glasses.

I'm thinking of staying in bed tomorrow but I might break it.

 

 

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Broken

 

Yesterday we had our broken aircon fixed.

Today we went to a camera repair shop for my broken XQD card.

I had an appointment an hour later at a place to fix my broken drone.

Unfortunately, while manoeuvring outside the camera shop, a bit from our motorhome steering sheered off. Broken.

Hubby went underneath our bus to figure out where the broken bit on the ground had come from and promptly broke his glasses.

I'm thinking of staying in bed tomorrow but I might break it.

 

 

 

 

Have one of these 🍀!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

 

 

Have one of these 🍀!

 

Can you make it a couple more? Because I have a feeling that we are going to miss the next appointment to fix a broken lock and various other bits and pieces. I didn't have the heart to mention the complete list of broken things... 

 

By the way, it's just for a laugh, I'm taking it all in my stride with a glass of cool white wine to help. When things get to that stage, we can only laugh. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Steve F said:

 

Always helps 🥂

Hope it's a plastic glass! Good luck with the repairs

 

You cracked me up Steve, as always.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

Broken

 

Yesterday we had our broken aircon fixed.

Today we went to a camera repair shop for my broken XQD card.

I had an appointment an hour later at a place to fix my broken drone.

Unfortunately, while manoeuvring outside the camera shop, a bit from our motorhome steering sheered off. Broken.

Hubby went underneath our bus to figure out where the broken bit on the ground had come from and promptly broke his glasses.

I'm thinking of staying in bed tomorrow but I might break it.

 

 

Can't match that litany of woes, but that mention of broken glasses reminds me that I lost mine at the allotment today, fell out of my shirt pocket I guess. I need to try to hunt them down tomorrow.   Hope you get your van fixed !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Can't match that litany of woes, but that mention of broken glasses reminds me that I lost mine at the allotment today, fell out of my shirt pocket I guess. I need to try to hunt them down tomorrow.   Hope you get your van fixed !

 

Just waking up and reading this still half-asleep, after Steve mentioned plastic glasses, I had a senior moment: Bryan takes glasses to drink at the allotment?? 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The sound of clinking glasses or tin mugs coming from a communal shed on an allotment is the starting point for many a british sitcom. A few grey heads putting the world to rights over a sip of cooking sherry or maybe last years elderflower, what could be finer?

 

Sorry Edo, I'm definately in the wrong thread!

 

🦔

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

The sound of clinking glasses or tin mugs coming from a communal shed on an allotment is the starting point for many a british sitcom. A few grey heads putting the world to rights over a sip of cooking sherry or maybe last years elderflower, what could be finer?

 

Sorry Edo, I'm definately in the wrong thread!

 

🦔

 

 

 

😆😆

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, NYCat said:

Lots of glitches here lately. Emails sent and not received. Emails received and not read. Stuff like that. The gremlins are afoot.

 

Paulette

 

Sorry to butt in and thanks for your thoughts in my thread. Just wondered are your email probs personal or with Alamy.

 

Allan

 

Sorry Edo.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Sorry to butt in and thanks for your thoughts in my thread. Just wondered are your email probs personal or with Alamy.

 

Allan

 

Sorry Edo.

 

 

Not Alamy.

 

Paulette

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Betty LaRue said:

I wanted cool weather. I got it.

I’m freezing.
Be careful what you wish for.

 

Same here this weekend.

 

Allan

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I wanted cool weather. I got it.

I’m freezing.
Be careful what you wish for.

Same here, but no frost as yet, and a predicted slight warming ahead. Cucumbers still growing in greenhouse, and chilli peppers slowly ripening, they probably won't properly mature this year.  Our central heating is up to its old tricks, the  radiators wouldn't get up to temperature yesterday morning until I switched off the water heating. I suspect a sticking 3 way valve, plumber summoned, again.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our heat is on in my building but it only comes up if the outside is 55 degrees or less. We've been hovering around 56 so my little electric heater is in use for now. I'm afraid we'll get Betty's weather soon. Then I'll be overheated and turning the radiators off. Cuddled up in bed is always good.

 

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Love 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

Our heat is on in my building but it only comes up if the outside is 55 degrees or less. We've been hovering around 56 so my little electric heater is in use for now. I'm afraid we'll get Betty's weather soon. Then I'll be overheated and turning the radiators off. Cuddled up in bed is always good.

 

Paulette

Once upon a time in the UK when British Railways were in charge and steam locomotives ruled, there was a train heating season.  In those months the heat would be on and for the rest of the year it was off, irrespective of the temperature.  55 deg F   (13 deg C )  seems more than a tad parsimonious to me !

Edited by Bryan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Once upon a time in the UK when British Railways were in charge and steam locomotives ruled, there was a train heating season.  In those months the heat would be on and for the rest of the year it was off, irrespective of the temperature.  55 deg F   (13 deg C )  seems more than a tad parsimonious to me !

 

Schools were the same. Brrrrr!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Once upon a time in the UK when British Railways were in charge and steam locomotives ruled, there was a train heating season.  In those months the heat would be on and for the rest of the year it was off, irrespective of the temperature.  55 deg F   (13 deg C )  seems more than a tad parsimonious to me !

 

Yes, this in-between period is always difficult. Once the winter really sets in it is coming up every day. This brick building also holds the heat well once we are getting it every day. The requirement is that between 6AM and 10PM the apartment must be at lease 68 and during the night at least 62. In real life, once the heat is coming up every day the temperature is almost always too high. Skin dryness becomes a problem.

 

Paulette

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was in elementary school, we had radiators for heat. They were only on one side of the room.  We sat alphabetically, & my last name always had me away from the warmer side of the room. My arms had a network of blue blood vessels that had a pattern much like cracks in arid, drought-stricken earth. Kind of like cells, or crooked squares. I never saw anyone else’s skin react to cold like that. Very mottled.

Most likely, if I’d had a mirror to look into, my lips probably would have appeared blue, too.

We were forced to go outdoors at recess unless it was snowing or raining. I was usually in a dress and coat, no gloves, long pants or scarf, boots or anything like that.  
Oklahoma often had temps well below freezing. I found a corner where the brick building took a turn in another direction behind a planting of several evergreen bushes/trees that blocked the wind. There I sat, back to the inset corner, with my collar turned up & my nose/ears buried, with my knees up to my chest with my coat pulled down over my knees as far as it would reach.
There I waited, sometimes napping, often with a bad cold, until the bell rang. I was very shy & didn’t participate in games much, which probably would have warmed me up a bit.

Yet, when I got sick, which was more often than I was well in the winter, way more than my two older sisters, I begged my mother to let me go to school anyway. I had a perfect attendance record by 5th grade. If I had stayed home every time I was sick, I wouldn’t have attended often. I was mostly a straight A student, with an occasional B thrown in, once the teacher who whipped my left hand for writing with it, stopped.

I do believe hardships makes one stronger, don’t you?

Edited by Betty LaRue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cecile Marion said:

I can remember being in my daughter’s upper east side, walk-up the first time I heard the heat come on. It made so much noise, it certainly got my attention. Lots of loud banging and creaking.

 

Oh my. I think her radiator needed draining. I didn't understand when I first moved to NYC that you need to have the radiator either all the way on or all the way off. If you put it halfway you will get a water buildup. My building is pretty well maintained and I'm getting no noise from the radiator. I have experienced the loud knocking though. It can be pretty awful. Ssssssssteam heat should only hiss a bit.

 

Paulette

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m guessing you’re right, Paulette, but that 1920s building came with lots of other issues, too. Mice, leaky ceilings and noisy neighbors are what I remember best. I think she lived there for three or four years before she could afford to move downtown to a much nicer place in the financial district. I’m sure I’ve mentioned before how much I really enjoyed the years my daughter lived in New York. Before the pandemic I was planning to rent a place and stay for at least a year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.