Post a bad thing that happened in your life today

Ed Rooney

Mine was built in 1900 and though it was built for worker housing they made them solid in those days. Betty has, as usual, sent me her weather so it is in the 40s this AM and I have steam heat. My little electric heater probably won't get much use now until the spring when the temperature hits that high 50s and the steam doesn't come up. At least we don't pay separately for heat. I just run up the electricity bill with the little heater.

Paulette

And at 13 degrees north of the equator, we're headed into the dry season, called summer even though it's often cooler than the rainy season called winter (May through October or November).  I sometimes wear a fleece jacket in January or February here in the highlands.

16 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I’m guessing you’re right, Paulette, but that 1920s building came with lots of other issues, too. Mice, leaky ceilings and noisy neighbors are what I remember best. I think she lived there for three or four years before she could afford to move downtown to a much nicer place in the financial district. I’m sure I’ve mentioned before how much I really enjoyed the years my daughter lived in New York. Before the pandemic I was planning to rent a place and stay for at least a year. 

Have you rode in a taxi there? 🫣🤯 I think we got a Kamikaze driver who purposely did everything he could to scare me to death, all the while watching my reactions in his rear-view mirror & sniggering. I had cramps in my right calf from trying to slam on the non-existent brake in the back floorboard. I’ll never forget that ride to the airport.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Have you rode in a taxi there? 🫣🤯 I think we got a Kamikaze driver who purposely did everything he could to scare me to death, all the while watching my reactions in his rear-view mirror & sniggering. I had cramps in my right calf from trying to slam on the non-existent brake in the back floorboard. I’ll never forget that ride to the airport.

Oh, yes. The worst in NYC was taking a taxi at night during a heavy downpour, but I have also taken many taxis to and from La Guardia and JFK and don’t recall ever having a problem. I’m guessing it all depends on which driver you happen to get for a trip. Sounds like you had a very unlucky break. I spend a lot of time in various big cities, but would prefer taking public transportation when I can. 

• 2 weeks later...

A very bad thing happened today, I discovered that the leeks in our allotment were infected with Allium leaf miner, a little maggot like creature that chomps its way through the stem of the plants. Apparently it has been gradually working its way north from Europe over the past several years, maybe due to global warming,  but it has certainly arrived at our allotment site. Virtually all of our plants had been infected. I spent this morning digging up the entire crop.  We will be able to salvage some parts of some of the stems, but you can't compost these locally, the temperatures aren't high enough to kill the bugs, so the residue will have to go into our local authority garden bin. 

There is no chemical control available for amateur gardeners to use, the only prevention  is to grow the crop under micromesh.

The pleasures of allotment gardening.

Edited by Bryan

Bored, at being confined to barracks by torrential rain.

Could be worse of course, elsewhere in the UK they have had winds strong enough to bring down trees and damage property, while others have suffered flooding. Here it's just gloomy and very wet.

Anything else to moan about?  Well I stupidly left our car key in my overalls when they went into the wash. It no longer functions as it should.  Proximity to the car brings about surreal happenings, like unlocking the doors and winding the windows down. I then use the good key to reverse this, but the damaged key persists.  Hiding it as far away from the car as possible cures the problem. A man is coming tonight with a new key, I hope it works.

Continuing on the keys theme, one set of our house keys went AWOL. We searched high and low, and left it for over a week before having a new set cut.  Immediately after that the other inhabitant of the house found the old keys in a little used bag. 

We're both getting older.......

54 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It no longer functions as it should. 

If it's anything like mine they come apart (with difficulty and with the aid of Youtube) so that the battery can be replaced (or to dry it out). May still not fix it but I think they are really expensive to replace.

The wind is building up here now, and the trees are pretty much in full leaf.

Edited by Harry Harrison

Called in to see my doctor today and she suggests I go on a liquid diet.

Does she mean booze, booze and more booze?

Allan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Called in to see my doctor today and she suggests I go on a liquid diet.

Does she mean booze, booze and more booze?

Allan

Hubby is having a procedure on his oesophagus in a couple of hours. He couldn't eat any more but was content enough with Happy Hour every day. Cheers Allan!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Bored, at being confined to barracks by torrential rain.

Could be worse of course, elsewhere in the UK they have had winds strong enough to bring down trees and damage property, while others have suffered flooding. Here it's just gloomy and very wet.

Anything else to moan about?  Well I stupidly left our car key in my overalls when they went into the wash. It no longer functions as it should.  Proximity to the car brings about surreal happenings, like unlocking the doors and winding the windows down. I then use the good key to reverse this, but the damaged key persists.  Hiding it as far away from the car as possible cures the problem. A man is coming tonight with a new key, I hope it works.

Continuing on the keys theme, one set of our house keys went AWOL. We searched high and low, and left it for over a week before having a new set cut.  Immediately after that the other inhabitant of the house found the old keys in a little used bag. 

We're both getting older.......

Don’t feel bad. I have lost my credit card twice. The first time, I called and canceled it & got a new one. Then found it lying beside the iMac.

The second time, just recently, it was gone for 10 days or so. The second search of all my pants pockets turned it up. Usually when out & about, I use it & put it back in its little card wallet that goes in my purse. A few times I have worn jeans & slipped it in my back pocket if I thought I was soon going to use it again.

Often, if my jeans are fresh-washed & I wear them for an hour or two, I hang them back up to be worn again before washing. I knew the card was in a pocket but couldn’t remember what I was wearing that day. I searched all of my jeans, but later found it in the back pocket of some nice joggers.

BTW, they are making credit cards out of indestructible metal that could be used for space ships. My metal cutters won’t even cut it up. Maybe my grip is too weak. I can’t metal fatigue it by bending it back & forth either. It will live on forever, although it’s not viable anymore.

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

Hubby is having a procedure on his oesophagus in a couple of hours. He couldn't eat any more but was content enough with Happy Hour every day. Cheers Allan!

Hope it went well !

19 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Hope it went well !

We're just back this very minute. All went well. He came back with a photo of his 4cm hernia in the stomach. The worst? He can't have a glass of wine tonight...

Once again, we're gobsmacked at the efficiency of the Australian health system. Hubby asked to have the procedure done, he was given a date 2 days later... All done now.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Don’t feel bad. I have lost my credit card twice. space ships. 

Thanks Betty, I seem to recall once losing a bank card just prior to going away on holiday, fortunately a replacement arrived just in time.

With regard to keys, we've tried to establish a routine that they get put back into one of the door locks as soon as we enter the house, but we both forget, particularly if the door has been unlocked when one of us gets to the house.  Then there is the thought of having a tracking device attached, or maybe a keylock discreetly positioned. Suspect we'll just muddle on. 

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

I seem to recall once losing a bank card just prior to going away on holiday,

Put it on your phone. I haven't looked back, although I carried the card for a while because I didn't believe the magic would work, but it does, in every country we've been to since. It's more secure than the card alone because it requires your fingerprint, and the contactless limits don't apply.

A nearby friend has a set of keys but you may not have one of those out in the wilds....🏝️

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

We're just back this very minute. All went well. He came back with a photo of his 4cm hernia in the stomach. The worst? He can't have a glass of wine tonight...

Once again, we're gobsmacked at the efficiency of the Australian health system. Hubby asked to have the procedure done, he was given a date 2 days later... All done now.

Pleased to hear everything went well.

All the best to both of you.

Allan

13 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Pleased to hear everything went well.

All the best to both of you.

Allan

Thank you Allan. What about you ?

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Put it on your phone. I haven't looked back, although I carried the card for a while because I didn't believe the magic would work, but it does, in every country we've been to since. It's more secure than the card alone because it requires your fingerprint, and the contactless limits don't apply.

A nearby friend has a set of keys but you may not have one of those out in the wilds....🏝️

Our sons and older grandkids use their phones for this purpose, but I'm too long in the tooth for that new trick.  Plus I have  a Chinese phone, that is excellent, but with rumours abounding about their alleged spying etc I'm a tad reluctant to share too many secrets !

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Allan. What about you ?

Oh don't worry about me. I'm OK. Probably better than I think I am.

I had had a bit of discomfort under my rib cage on the right side to the front on and off for a few weeks then this week it was really bad so I asked to be seen by the practice doctor. She asked what was happening and other questions and thoroughly examined me. she decided to refer me to a surgeon at the hospital.  The strange thing is the discomfort has eased off greatly now but I will still go just in case.

Allan

21 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Oh don't worry about me. I'm OK. Probably better than I think I am.

I had had a bit of discomfort under my rib cage on the right side to the front on and off for a few weeks then this week it was really bad so I asked to be seen by the practice doctor. She asked what was happening and other questions and thoroughly examined me. she decided to refer me to a surgeon at the hospital.  The strange thing is the discomfort has eased off greatly now but I will still go just in case.

Allan

Of course I'll worry about you Allan. Listen to what the doc has to say, then decide what you want to do. We're lucky to have access to great medicine these days, let's make the most of it. Please keep us posted. All the best!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bryan said:

Our sons and older grandkids use their phones for this purpose, but I'm too long in the tooth for that new trick.  Plus I have  a Chinese phone, that is excellent, but with rumours abounding about their alleged spying etc I'm a tad reluctant to share too many secrets !

Well there is the extra layer of security for contactless with the finger/thumbprint (I have thumb and forefinger on each hand set up so it's ambidextrous), and to enrol a card you just photograph it and enter the CVV code from the signature strip. Then you don't even have to open the app, just hold phone to the reader, apply thumb and wait a second or two for the phone to vibrate. Done. The transaction appears in the wallet app pinned to a map- could be handy- there have been times when it's helped me remember exactly where I was the day before!

Bank cards were a "new trick" once- we got used to those. I didn't even have a current account at college (79-82) so didn't have them till my early 20s for my business. A late adopter you might say. But I must have held out for all of 2 weeks when I got the smartphone- it's just too handy to ignore.

Edited by spacecadet

I have a chest cold so back to wearing a mask for the protection of others. It has also turned cold and my hair stylist cut short it on the sides again so my ears get cold and need an ear band. I had forgotten the complication of the ear bands around the ears and the mask around the ears. Lovely to have such an easy problem. Luxury problems, as they say.

Paulette