A Statement from The BPPA on the role of press photographers during crisis.

It's clearly abhorrent that press/news photographers should be singled out, and the equipment they have to carry makes them hard to blend in. Also, obviously there is nothing wrong with using telephoto lenses, especially in these days of social distancing.

However I'm not sure I understand this bit "The misconception that telephoto lenses in some way give a distorted and more crowded view of a scene is as bizarre as it is ill-informed." I've seen plenty of pictures of people in parks etc. where the lens chosen has made it appear to the uninitiated that people are closer together than they are in practice. No blame attached to the photographer for taking them, quite the reverse, but that is true isn't it?

• Love 1
  • Like 4

and this is not only in the UK.  Had a woman come out on her balcony, yelling at me Why i was taking picture of the rainbow drawing in her house window??   nobody, no personal info, just the drawing (it wasn't great, but it had message "Courage" which has advantage of being bilingual French-English).  even when i told her i was taking pictures of hope, in these times she went on.... 

There was quite a lot of reaction from some Alamy forum members to the suggestion that a photographer ( me) might wish to use their legally permitted daily exercise to travel short distances to continue a photographic project during lockdown. Words such as selfish, stupid, irresponsible, ridiculous were used. 

In the newspapers there have also been a series of 'name and shame' type reports about what people are doing, being labelled as selfish, stupid, irresponsible, ridiculous - for sitting in parks, on beaches, standing too close together, going shopping and buying non-essentials  etc

So let's not be too critical of the general public showing suspicion or even hostility. I'm not excusing it for a second. We are living through anxious times and people are on a short fuse and full of emotion.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 1
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 3

Not sure of the basis of the 'red arrow'.  

Assuming it is because I am not siding 100% and uncritically with aggrieved news photographers. I have every sympathy with their plight.

But the fact is that much of the media - particularly the tabloid press - has lost the confidence and trust of the general public. And if you are supplying those organisations with the images which they frequently use in a negative way against members of the public then you are going to be, at least partially, tarnished with the same brush. That's just the way it is going to work. They are not going to welcome the press with open arms when they see every day how the press behaves.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 3

3 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

I have had more name calling, abuse and threats from the public (not to mention the wife) in the last three weeks than I have in the last five years.  

So what about the reasons for that?

Why is it that press photographers have lost the trust of some members of the public?

And what can be done about that? There must be reasons.

The people giving you a hard time are reacting to something, are you not at all involved in what they are reacting to or against?

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, geogphotos said:

So what about the reasons for that?

Why is it that press photographers have lost the trust of some members of the public?

Not through anything the likes of Ian have done.

The standard of public discourse has sunk so far recently- foul language in parliament, judges as "enemies of the people" and all the rest of it- that some low-lifes now think they have carte blanche to sound off. Some police forces even have snitch lines, and some are illegally stopping people to ask what they're doing. Photographers are allowed out because they're, er, working, and said lowlifes are not. So they think they have licence to abuse.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Not through anything the likes of Ian have done.

The standard of public discourse has sunk so far recently- foul language in parliament, judges as "enemies of the people" and all the rest of it- that some low-lifes now think they have carte blanche to sound off. Some police forces even have snitch lines, and some are illegally stopping people to ask what they're doing. Photographers are allowed out because they're, er, working, and said lowlifes are not. So they think they have licence to abuse.

Exactly so. No trust. 

But further than that look at what photos are being published by  hateful 'newspapers' such as the Daily Mail.

Surely, Press Photographers do  not want pity.

Try Vietnam.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Dislike 3

Red arrows but no discussion.

How many of you go out looking for 'good news' stories or with the mindset that what the tabloids want is 'bad news stories' and you will find them if you can?

Pinch

Salt

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Red arrows but no discussion.

How many of you go out looking for 'good news' stories or with the mindset that what the tabloids want is 'bad news stories' and you will find them if you can?

Pinch

Salt

i go out for images to illustrate the news.  I do so knowing that i will not control how it is used in the media.  I agree with you that i could be an enabler. 

in addition yes, my angle will sometimes lead what i try to capture.  

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

Unfortunately it’s not just the public ‘having a go‘. I was quizzed as to how far I had travelled to take a photo that appeared in a national newspaper by another photographer who also deigned to tell me the ‘rules’, presumably just in case I didn’t know them. The fact that I walked probably less than 200m from my house is irrelevant. Have we really got to the point of a ‘lockdown inquisition’? Please can we be grown ups.

• Love 3
  • Like 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Sally said:

Unfortunately it’s not just the public ‘having a go‘. I was quizzed as to how far I had travelled to take a photo that appeared in a national newspaper by another photographer who also deigned to tell me the ‘rules’, presumably just in case I didn’t know them. The fact that I walked probably less than 200m from my house is irrelevant. Have we really got to the point of a ‘lockdown inquisition’? Please can we be grown ups.

your reply was great, and way too graceful. 

i found fascinating that said "photographer" was actually from a different legislation than yours, i wouldn't even dare knowing what the rule of what is essential across provinces in Canada, no way i can keep up in various country.  

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 2

The state of our world even before this disaster was a disaster...the loss of civility, the disregard for truth and science, the rise of xenophobia ...it's no surprise that we have become a world of angry people ready to turn on each other at the slightest provocation. I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse some of you have experienced while you are out risking your health in order to simply do your job. 

• Love 4

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 04:13, Julie Edwards said:

Nice of you to post that.  Gee I wonder when the current U.S. administration will put out such a nice statement........

They would probably just tell the press to drink CLOROX...

A Note to all:  I've covered news for decades and it is really important to be decent to people when you are out making images. 

I have noticed that people were very edgy earlier, but now they appear to have calmed down a bit.

Chuck 

Edited by Chuck Nacke
clarity
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

I have found that in the majority of cases politeness with a bit of banter gets you a long way with people if your pointing a camera at them, may just the Irish who like a bit of banter regardless of what your doing.🙂

• Love 1

On 25/04/2020 at 14:05, IanDavidson said:

I have had more name calling, abuse and threats from the public ... in the last three weeks than I have in the last five years.  

You didn't do any of the 'Tommy Robinson' or Brexit protests then? Apparently all 'MSM' are paedophiles, and other flowery accusations. Lovely people.

1 hour ago, Iain Masterton said:

I've met so many lovely people over the last few weeks. I've almost run out of business cards. But I try to be nice to everyone.  

Have not even offered a card to anyone in weeks.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to get some new ones printed.

Chuck

1 hour ago, Avpics said:

You didn't do any of the 'Tommy Robinson' or Brexit protests then? Apparently all 'MSM' are paedophiles, and other flowery accusations. Lovely people.

I did both and had some issues at Tommy Robinson events, but the frequency and venom is greater and certainly more frequent....