People in the uk ignoring coronavirus social distancing

If people continue to congregate in outside places & ignore advice. the government will bring in more stringent itailan style measures to combat the virus. But will you still be allowed outside to take photos on your own because it will drive me mad staying in all the time esspecialy with warmer weather coming.. 

I hope not, but I heard a BBC journo saying that in Rome (I think) he had been apprehended out jogging because he was more than 300m from his flat. That would be pretty limiting for me I can tell you, certainly very short on photographic opportunities. Of course people were immensely stupid to throng together yesterday but where is the major advertising campaign to get the message across, as there was with AIDS- HIV. I'm beginning to wonder if large tranches of the UK population simply don't watch or listen to the news.

I can pretty much keep my 2m distance,I don't have to go on the tube thank goodness, but essential shopping is another matter and Johnson never even mentioned it. Nicola Sturgeon was very impressive on the other hand, covered everything.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I expect a lot of us will at last get around to figuring out how macro and close up photography works.
2) I'm going to play around with light painting with my kids

3) and I plan to work my way through the examples on the strobist blog and at last figure out the intricacies of manual flash - if my family will sit still long enough

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I hope not, but I heard a BBC journo saying that in Rome (I think) he had been apprehended out jogging because he was more than 300m from his flat. That would be pretty limiting for me I can tell you, certainly very short on photographic opportunities. Of course people were immensely stupid to throng together yesterday but where is the major advertising campaign to get the message across, as there was with AIDS- HIV. I'm beginning to wonder if large tranches of the UK population simply don't watch or listen to the news.

I can pretty much keep my 2m distance,I don't have to go on the tube thank goodness, but essential shopping is another matter and Johnson never even mentioned it. Nicola Sturgeon was very impressive on the other hand, covered everything.

We've been on lockdown for a week here on Gran Canaria. State of emergency extended until at least 11 April in all of Spain. If you are out on the street for anything other than food shopping, pharmacy, medical appointment, work (if unable to work from home) and a few other exceptional circumstances, you will be fined. Not even allowed out for exercise, unless you have a dog to walk.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

We've been on lockdown for a week here on Gran Canaria. State of emergency extended until at least 11 April in all of Spain. If you are out on the street for anything other than food shopping, pharmacy, medical appointment, work (if unable to work from home) and a few other exceptional circumstances, you will be fined. Not even allowed out for exercise, unless you have a dog to walk.

5 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

I hope not, but I heard a BBC journo saying that in Rome (I think) he had been apprehended.......

I don't hold a press card myself, but would have assumed that card holding media would be free to work if they chose to do so. I appreciate that he wasn't working but would be interested to know whether media would still be out and about.

Many more dogs are being adopted here from shelters. I hope the people have the same enthusiasm for the dear creatures even when they don't need them for company and for getting some exercise.

Paulette

4 hours ago, formerly snappyoncalifornia said:

The cavalier attitude by many is prolonging this crisis. An article in today's NY Times outlines what must be done. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-restrictions-us.html

The Trump administration apparently wants to slacken social-distancing rules in the US over economic concerns. Are these people crazy?

Edited by John Mitchell

Just now, John Mitchell said:

I wish it were...

Well the governor of my state, Maryland, just announced tighter rules on businesses that can be open.  So the governor has more power, than the president, in that department.  But the president's message is irresponsible, in my opinion.  Many people will take his cue over their state leader.

• Love 3

6 minutes ago, Normspics said:

John, B.C. getting negative press from the weekend with throngs of people in Vancouver, P.M. referred to it today in his press conference 

Yes, it's mainly due to young people gathering on the beaches and in Stanley Park. The city is working on the problem.

Quebec has now banned gatherings of more than two people. I guess this could happen here if people don't obey the rules.

Edited by John Mitchell

14 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Well the governor of my state, Maryland, just announced tighter rules on businesses that can be open.  So the governor has more power, than the president, in that department.  But the president's message is irresponsible, in my opinion.  Many people will take his cue over their state leader.

Sadly, it's a reflection of how everything in the US has become so highly politicized and polarized.

Let's hope that smarter, more responsible people around Trump can reign him.

• Love 2

I'm increasingly concerned over the situation in our food shops. Panic buying has stripped the shelves of some essentials and I'm finding it necessary to travel around the stores to buy food. I've tried to order online, but the home delivery slots were fully booked and the best I could achieve was a slot to pick up stuff in 3 weeks time. Meanwhile I need to continue to visit the shops to buy essentials, and staying 2m apart in that environment is very difficult. With the benefit of hindsight, the government missed a trick by not introducing rationing, and, despite restrictions on movement, that has still not happened. I guess that I am in a higher risk group nudging 70, but I can't see any alternative to exposing myself to possible infection by spending time wandering around  the shops in search of food.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Sadly, it's a reflection of how everything in the US has become so highly politicized and polarized.

Let's hope that smarter, more responsible people around Trump can reign him.

Unfortunately unlikely, Trump would not have chosen 'smarter, more responsible people' to be in his team, only people with his kind of ideology. 

• Love 2

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

I'm increasingly concerned over the situation in our food shops. Panic buying has stripped the shelves of some essentials and I'm finding it necessary to travel around the stores to buy food. I've tried to order online, but the home delivery slots were fully booked and the best I could achieve was a slot to pick up stuff in 3 weeks time. Meanwhile I need to continue to visit the shops to buy essentials, and staying 2m apart in that environment is very difficult. With the benefit of hindsight, the government missed a trick by not introducing rationing, and, despite restrictions on movement, that has still not happened. I guess that I am in a higher risk group nudging 70, but I can't see any alternative to exposing myself to possible infection by spending time wandering around  the shops in search of food.

Yes, same problem here Bryan and we're the wrong side of 70. However on Friday we happened to be leaving M&S at the same time as the area manager. He said there were no shortages, they just couldn't get stuff out quick enough. He was confident there would be a marked improvement by the middle of this week. We'll wait and see.

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Same here. There always seems to be one or two items that I can't find, so I go wandering from store to store. I realize that this "has got to stop" as Mr. Trudeau has warned us. From here on in, I realize that I'm just going to have to do without that missing can of beets. I don't want to invite another scolding (or the virus).

11 hours ago, sb photos said:

Unfortunately unlikely, Trump would not have chosen 'smarter, more responsible people' to be in his team, only people with his kind of ideology. 

That's true. However, there do seem to be a number of "Trump whisperers" behind the scenes who somehow manage to get through to Trump after he says something ridiculous and walk him back to some semblance of reason.

7 hours ago, davidhu said:

Yes, same problem here Bryan and we're the wrong side of 70. However on Friday we happened to be leaving M&S at the same time as the area manager. He said there were no shortages, they just couldn't get stuff out quick enough. He was confident there would be a marked improvement by the middle of this week. We'll wait and see.

Not been to the shops today David , but I am told things are improving, with more stock and some attempt to control distances between folk.

We had a big rush on the stores over the weekend because the total lockdown was starting Sunday night. I waited a couple of days and went today at an hour that is usually not busy. It was slower than usual. I think as people get stocked up there won't be that much pressure on the stores. 

Paulette