Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

I have hesitated to write about this here because it is a hard thing to think about but I got some good news today. I may have mentioned that my trip to DC was cancelled because our friend there got bad news about her cancer. She has ultimately had to make a very hard decision. The cancer was in her shoulder and had moved down to her arm. The only way to be certain of eliminating it was to allow the removal of both the arm and shoulder. No possibility of a prosthesis. Having had cancer myself I was trying to be supportive but trying to say the right things was difficult. I have apparently done the right things and she has thanked me for my support. She opted for the unthinkable surgery and had it on Monday. She is facing a lot of difficulties but is sure she made the right decision. Trying to save the arm would have meant many surgeries and a very uncertain outcome. She has opted for the certainty of more years of life. She has four kids and a number of grandchildren so lots to live for. I'm sad about how hard life has been to her but very happy that she is definitely not regretting her choice. I know surviving cancer can be a great motivator. It sent me on my wildlife adventures.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 8

On 13/07/2022 at 12:32, NYCat said:

I have hesitated to write about this here because it is a hard thing to think about but I got some good news today. I may have mentioned that my trip to DC was cancelled because our friend there got bad news about her cancer. She has ultimately had to make a very hard decision. The cancer was in her shoulder and had moved down to her arm. The only way to be certain of eliminating it was to allow the removal of both the arm and shoulder. No possibility of a prosthesis. Having had cancer myself I was trying to be supportive but trying to say the right things was difficult. I have apparently done the right things and she has thanked me for my support. She opted for the unthinkable surgery and had it on Monday. She is facing a lot of difficulties but is sure she made the right decision. Trying to save the arm would have meant many surgeries and a very uncertain outcome. She has opted for the certainty of more years of life. She has four kids and a number of grandchildren so lots to live for. I'm sad about how hard life has been to her but very happy that she is definitely not regretting her choice. I know surviving cancer can be a great motivator. It sent me on my wildlife adventures.

Paulette

I’m happy she believes in her choice. Family means a lot to her I’m sure.

My survival sent me from writing a novel to getting my first Nikon, and outside.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 12/07/2022 at 09:27, spacecadet said:

It's only good for the car insofar as it lubricates the compressor- a rather circular argument- but it's not very good for your fuel bill! Even a few percent. these days is money up the spout.

Academic for us as it's been empty for years- we always say (usually in autumn) that it's not worth fixing, then regret it (usually in high summer).

I bought a kit from Halford and DIY.  0 degrees out of the vent today.  Comfort is good for concetration!!  🤪

Not having air conditioning is pretty much out of the question in these parts. Yesterday was 104F (40C) and today was 102. These temps will continue for the foreseeable future. No break for at least 10 days. There is what’s called a “heat dome” over Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. Texas was worried about the power grid failing, and was asking people not to charge their electric cars.

A lot of good those vehicles are if the power fails.

The old, those with illnesses, high BP and other conditions do not fare well in those kind of temperatures. It is expected to reach 110F (43.3 C) in parts of Oklahoma this week, where I lived most of my life. I remember when I was about 13 years old, my town in Oklahoma had blazing 114F (45.5C) temps one summer. Water was rationed. Grass was crisp and brown. It was horrible. We had no A/C at the time and I slept with my pillow and head resting in the window sill…such that I could sleep with a fan blowing hot air around. My grandmother was ill from it. A lot of old folks die in that kind of heat.

So yeah, I will use my A/C in the house and car and hope September comes next month and we forget August. Even September can reach 106, but we do get the occasional few cooler days.

As I type at 6:20 in this evening, it’s 100 degrees.

And poor Gen has suffered extreme heat down under and I’m sure treasures her air con.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Not having air conditioning is pretty much out of the question in these parts. Yesterday was 104F (40C) and today was 102. These temps will continue for the foreseeable future. No break for at least 10 days. There is what’s called a “heat dome” over Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. Texas was worried about the power grid failing, and was asking people not to charge their electric cars.

A lot of good those vehicles are if the power fails.

The old, those with illnesses, high BP and other conditions do not fare well in those kind of temperatures. It is expected to reach 110F (43.3 C) in parts of Oklahoma this week, where I lived most of my life. I remember when I was about 13 years old, my town in Oklahoma had blazing 114F (45.5C) temps one summer. Water was rationed. Grass was crisp and brown. It was horrible. We had no A/C at the time and I slept with my pillow and head resting in the window sill…such that I could sleep with a fan blowing hot air around. My grandmother was ill from it. A lot of old folks die in that kind of heat.

So yeah, I will use my A/C in the house and car and hope September comes next month and we forget August. Even September can reach 106, but we do get the occasional few cooler days.

As I type at 6:20 in this evening, it’s 100 degrees.

And poor Gen has suffered extreme heat down under and I’m sure treasures her air con.

Funny you should say that. There is currently a cold weather spell coming from Antarctica in Oz. Temperatures are cooler than normal even in the tropics. I'm lucky to currently be in the hottest town with a day temp of 28C. But right now at 10am, it's only 21C (69F) and we've got the heating on!! Hard to believe init?

We once camped in the desert in a small campervan where the temperature soared to 53C (127.4F) inside at night. We were green at camping then, had no aircon and were afraid of opening the backdoor because of snakes. It was horrendous.

Edited by gvallee

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Funny you should say that. There is currently a cold weather spell coming from Antarctica in Oz. Temperatures are cooler than normal even in the tropics. I'm lucky to currently be in the hottest town with a day temp of 28C. But right now at 10am, it's only 21C (69F) and we've got the heating on!! Hard to believe init?

We once camped in the desert in a small campervan where the temperature soared to 53C (127.4F) inside at night. We were green at camping then, had no aircon and were afraid of opening the backdoor because of snakes. It was horrendous.

I knew you’d have a horror story up your sleeve! But snakes…maybe getting in…that’s a real horror story! 

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I knew you’d have a horror story up your sleeve! But snakes…maybe getting in…that’s a real horror story! 

Read this hilarious story. See what I mean? 😂😂😂

Edited by gvallee

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

I've noticed that my body adjusts to the climate, our heating is normally permanently off during the summer months with the temperature in the house varying between maybe 15 and 20 degrees. We need the air con on in the car when it exceeds 20. 

In years gone by, touring with the van in Europe we would cope with temperatures in the 30s, fly screens meant that we could leave the windows wide open. However I wonder if a serpent could nibble its way through? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I've noticed that my body adjusts to the climate, our heating is normally permanently off during the summer months with the temperature in the house varying between maybe 15 and 20 degrees. We need the air con on in the car when it exceeds 20. 

In years gone by, touring with the van in Europe we would cope with temperatures in the 30s, fly screens meant that we could leave the windows wide open. However I wonder if a serpent could nibble its way through? 

15C in the house!! I would die of hypothemia LOL!! As a kid, sometimes my parents decided to heat up only at 18C. I had two blocks of ice for hands and was begging for 20C. When I got to the UK in 1985, I was constantly ill, unaccustomed to cooler temperatures than France. Then when I lived there, I had the heating on 22C all year round. I keep thinking about those tribes in Patagonia who used to live naked through gales and snow. I wouldn't have survived an hour.

No snakes wouldn't nibble through a fly screen, no. On the other hand, rats... We had a huntsman (like the one in the video at the end of the article) in the bathroom only a few weeks ago. I tried to convince him to leave but he ran away underneath the fridge. I let it be, only wishing he wouldn't crawl over me at night.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Air conditioning is what might be needed early next week here in Liverpool. I've been in this Merseyside city three years now and so far I've not had a single day I would consider to be either hot or cold. Now the Spanish or the Italians have decided to send us some of their summer weather as a Brexit parting gift. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

I have never liked heat, especially the humidity that can come with it here, in the DC area.  I can take dry heat much better.  I remember, as a kid, going to a professional baseball game and having these great seats right behind home plate but the air was hot, humid and not a bit of wind.  I felt like I was suffocating, being wedged in my seat surrounded by grownups, many of whom were smoking cigarettes (1960s).  All I could think about was getting the hell out of there.  I still feel the same way now, I hate being in crowds, especially in the summertime.  If it is hot and the air isn't moving, I am not a happy person to be around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have never liked heat, especially the humidity that can come with it here, in the DC area.  I can take dry heat much better.  I remember, as a kid, going to a professional baseball game and having these great seats right behind home plate but the air was hot, humid and not a bit of wind.  I felt like I was suffocating, being wedged in my seat surrounded by grownups, many of whom were smoking cigarettes (1960s).  All I could think about was getting the hell out of there.  I still feel the same way now, I hate being in crowds, especially in the summertime.  If it is hot and the air isn't moving, I am not a happy person to be around.

I normally don't suffer from various phobia, but once, travelling on the hot and packed tube through London, I decided enough was enough,  abandoned the underground at Euston  and walked to Kings Cross.

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I had always dreamed of having season football tickets to the University of Oklahoma games. After moving to Oklahoma City, only a 45 minute drive from the home games, eventually we managed to afford them. The very first game was in the heat of the afternoon around Sept. 3rd or thereabouts. Our seats were in the sun, and the temperature was 106 in the shade. Add another 10 degrees for the sun, and imagine being shoulder to shoulder with hot, sweating people who forced the humidity surrounding us even higher. This was 2000, and I managed it by bringing a gallon jug full of iced water to drink and to wet a small towel for my neck.

9/11 happened the next year and I was no longer able to bring the jug of water. Our seats were in row 67. Every year, I spent most of the September games going down those 67 steps, wetting paper towels with tepid water trying to cool my blazing face and neck. Then I stood in the shade of the tunnel for 10-15 minutes peeking through the tunnel outlet at the game.

Then 67 steps back up. I’d last about 15 minutes before having to go down again.

My husband handled it just fine. My body doesn’t handle heat. My heart slows way down but pounds and beats erratically. Sometimes I black out. I saw another woman across the aisle being carted off on a stretcher from the heat.

I guess you could call me a dedicated fan, because I did this in the September games for 10 years, through full-blown loss of hair and chemo treatments for a year of it and weakness for a few years after.  The severe hot flashes caused by the chemicals coursing through my system just added on to the misery. But I stood, stomped, screamed and cheered. My oncologist told me at the outset that, for my spirits, it was important to continue doing the things I loved and not sit at home feeling miserable and sorry for myself.

The most wonderful thing was that on my trips up the stairs, my husband met me at the bottom and pulled or pushed to help me climb. The darling people who sat around us, especially the couple right behind, wrapped me in their arms to keep me from falling when I stood to cheer a play and wobbled or swayed from weakness.

The ultimate take-away is that people are generally loving and giving of themselves. And our first year of having tickets, we won the National Championship!!

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I normally don't suffer from various phobia, but once, travelling on the hot and packed tube through London, I decided enough was enough,  abandoned the underground at Euston  and walked to Kings Cross.

Fortunately I no longer work and don’t have to travel in and out of London during the morning and evening peak times. I can now choose to travel in and out of the city at times that suit me.

The tube line I use from home into town is the Metropolitan and the replacement rolling stock that was introduced a few years ago has comfort cooling, so is much better during hot spells. I well remember those times before when I stood in a crowded carriage with sweat running down my back and legs and feet feeling like a couple of poached eggs.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

And the crazy thing, as much as I hate heat and humidity, I spent nearly two decades traveling fairly frequently to the Caribbean for a couple of magazines.  I loved the scenery, the culture (the people, food, music and dance) but was not a fan of working in the heat.  Many of the places I stayed in had no air con.  At least with no AC, the lenses didn't fog up when going outside.

• Like 1

Michael, I spent half my childhood in DC, met my wife there, played in jazz clubs, and did some serious theatre. The summer climate has always been terrible. Can't imagine it's gotten any better with global warming. The Caribbean? Those islands would seem strange if the weather was not tropical. 

51 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

And the crazy thing, as much as I hate heat and humidity, I spent nearly two decades traveling fairly frequently to the Caribbean for a couple of magazines.  I loved the scenery, the culture (the people, food, music and dance) but was not a fan of working in the heat.  Many of the places I stayed in had no air con.  At least with no AC, the lenses didn't fog up when going outside.

Most of the places that I stayed at during my tropical travels did not have AC. I usually preferred a gentle breeze (when available) and a good ceiling fan. However, people definitely have very different reactions to heat, as Betty described so vividly. I was born in the West Indies and spent part of my childhood there. Perhaps this makes it easier for me to sweat like a local when I'm in hot places. Strangely enough, some of the worst humidity and heat that I've experienced was in Montreal. It can get really brutal in the summer. When I lived there, I sometimes used to get up in the middle of the night and go for long motorcycle rides in an attempt to cool off. Last summer, much of BC was covered by an intense "heat dome" for quite some time. It got extremely uncomfortable and dangerous. Hopefully that won't become a regular event. So far so good this year. 🤞

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

And the crazy thing, as much as I hate heat and humidity, I spent nearly two decades traveling fairly frequently to the Caribbean for a couple of magazines.  I loved the scenery, the culture (the people, food, music and dance) but was not a fan of working in the heat.  Many of the places I stayed in had no air con.  

The Mrs and I  once cycled across France from the Atlantic coast to the Med, and stayed in cheap hotels each night.  No AC, but no problems sleeping, despite the heat. On the final night we went berserk and stayed in a more expensive place which did have AC.   We couldn't sleep for the noise .

John, I spent most of the summer of 2018 in Montreal. The weather was slightly better than perfect. From there, I spent 10 months in Seville. I was lucky getting mild weather there. If you check the temps there this week, you'll see everyday getting above 100 F. My friend says Tuscany is melting too. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

13 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

John, I spent most of the summer of 2018 in Montreal. The weather was slightly better than perfect. From there, I spent 10 months in Seville. I was lucky getting mild weather there. If you check the temps there this week, you'll see everyday getting above 100 F. My friend is Tuscany is melting too. 

Yes, I remember. You lucked out during your sojourn in Montreal, but not in Spain.

If you're going to melt, Tuscany sounds like an ideal place for it. Lots of gelato joints there, I'm sure. 🍨

• Love 1

My two vacations to the Caribbean, both times we stayed in a cottage a few steps (maybe 20) from the water. We went out in the mornings and evenings, was either in the water snorkeling during the warmest part of the day or only very rarely inside with A/C. The A/C did make sleeping comfortable.

Both trips were in October and November, and I never felt the heat was anything near as bad as what I’m living in right now. Temperatures usually didn’t get hotter than the 80s. I often sat on the covered veranda with a cold drink watching people on the beach. Ocean breeze, very comfortable.

But then, I haven’t been there during summer. What I didn’t like was the sand fleas that came out in the evenings. Then I figured out that rubbing the Bounce laundry sheets (fabric softener sheets) I’d brought, dampened, over my lower legs kept those biters off. I’d used them as a mosquito repellent in the US, so it wasn’t a stretch to try them for the sand fleas. I wish I’d tried them for the black flies in Minnesota because Deet sure as heck didn’t work. I think black flies eat deet for dessert.

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

My two vacations to the Caribbean, both times we stayed in a cottage a few steps (maybe 20) from the water. We went out in the mornings and evenings, was either in the water snorkeling during the warmest part of the day or only very rarely inside with A/C. The A/C did make sleeping comfortable.

Both trips were in October and November, and I never felt the heat was anything near as bad as what I’m living in right now. Temperatures usually didn’t get hotter than the 80s. I often sat on the covered veranda with a cold drink watching people on the beach. Ocean breeze, very comfortable.

But then, I haven’t been there during summer. What I didn’t like was the sand fleas that came out in the evenings. Then I figured out that rubbing the Bounce laundry sheets (fabric softener sheets) I’d brought, dampened, over my lower legs kept those biters off. I’d used them as a mosquito repellent in the US, so it wasn’t a stretch to try them for the sand fleas. I wish I’d tried them for the black flies in Minnesota because Deet sure as heck didn’t work. I think black flies eat deet for dessert.

Yes, it is correct that the Caribbean islands rarely get above 90 (32c) and there is usually a nice breeze blowing.  But, I almost never went there to holiday, so I was running around taking photos and so I carried a towel in my camera bag to keep mopping my face from the sweat. Not looking for sympathy, mind you, it was a nice place to work in my twenties and thirties!

And yes, those tiny biting bugs on the islands were no fun either!! I once took my family to the Abaco Islands for a working/fun trip and there they had these large horse flies that had a nasty bite.

30 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Twice a year we use those (dampened) dryer sheets to clean smashed love bugs off the front of the car before their insides eat into the paint. 

On 16/07/2022 at 01:36, Michael Ventura said:

and so I carried a towel in my camera bag to keep mopping my face from the sweat.

In my picture on the left, I'm wearing a Cambodian scarf. That's a light cotton like the ones the Khmer Rouge used as a uniform, except mine is blue and white while their's was red and white. These scarfs can be used for many purposes -- a carry bag, a bib, a face cloth, a shield from the sun. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

• Alamy locked this topic