Fellow Sony RX100 Owners

How long do the batteries last? I'm not asking about recharging. I mean how long do these batteries live before that won't charge easily again and need to be replaced. 

Edo, who's happy with the camera but unhappy with the batteries.

I still have the first one from the original mk1 from early 2013.

I do rotate the batteries randomly between two bodies and I have about 6 original and 3 aftermarket batteries. I see no differences. There may be, but there's no battery that's faulty.

Two of the non-Sony batteries last maybe a little bit less. Could even be my imagination.

When I'm using my phone as a remote I go through 2 or 3 batteries a day. Mainly because the Wifi is constantly on.

wim

I'm considering buying the current RX100 as a pocketable go everywhere camera, but first need to check my estimated tax liability for 2019-20. How many RAW images can you shoot from a fully charged battery, Sony or third party?

sb photos,  while I am not sure about  exact # of ARW images you can take with fully charged battery I can offer my experience with 2 different models.   Rx100 Mk 1 and Rx 100 Mk3, both with original Sony batteries.  I find Mk1 had ~15-20%  better battery performance.   It is never an issue for me though, specially now that I have spare from Mk1 and it takes next to zero space in the backpack, so I can take current Mk3 even to week-long backcountry trips without memory bank

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Wim. That's encouraging. I'm thinking it might be the charger that's not doing the best job. I'll sort it out. Actually, I've never run out of juice or space on my cards. But I don't use the WiFi. 

Mine is this one. On the road, I use a generic dual charger from USB whatever, like laptop, phone charger, car or power bank.

wim

Little off topic, but think most might find it interesting so here it is:

Recently I went 9 weeks traveling in Asia. First was Nepal, 4 weeks hiking on high  altitudes, where I was not sure about charging. So I packed memory bank (it was useful).  Flying I kept it in checked in luggage (Calgary - Vancouver - Tokyo - Bangkok - Kathmandu).  No problem, 3 different airlines.  Then month later Kathmandu - Bangkok - Krabi, again no problem.  Then week later flying back Krabi - Bangkok.   Memory bank checked in,  passed security already. Then I hear my name on airport broadcast.  Had to go back, open checked-in backpack and take memory bank out! Why??? You let me fly Bangkok - Krabi, on same airline, with memory bank checked in now you want it out and in cabin???   Only answer I got was:   These are rules of this airport and we don't know why.

Later on,  All Nipon Airways on a flight from Bangkok to Tokyo made me do the same. I still don't understand it.  But: IF you are flying, do double check about anything related to charging, batteries, etc.  It is a real drag to be yanked back through security, to some underground  place where checked-in luggage scanners are and have to take something out.

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

I'm considering buying the current RX100 as a pocketable go everywhere camera, but first need to check my estimated tax liability for 2019-20. How many RAW images can you shoot from a fully charged battery, Sony or third party?

Don't know the numbers, Steve, but as I said in this thread, I've never run out of juice. I do carry a spare battery.

You will love this little Sony, but you must give yourself time to get used to it. Good luck.

9 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

I have a generic changer for my RX100 m 4 and m 6, and it’s given me problems. Says a battery is charged when it’s not (I have both Sony and Wasabi batteries) . I’ve had a Sony charger for my RX10, and it’s always worked just fine. 

Thanks, Cecile. I will be replacing my charger. 😎

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't know the numbers, Steve, but as I said in this thread, I've never run out of juice. I do carry a spare battery.

You will love this little Sony, but you must give yourself time to get used to it. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply ED.

I'm also interested in what forum members opinions are of RX100 third party batteries, any brand names or suppliers to avoid? My experience of third party batteries for my Nikon's is good, I have 5 that are still giving great service, plus 2 Nikon. The only battery I had that failed was a Nikon, it suddenly  failed to accept any charge.

Ex-Pro seem to be OK but I'm out of the game since I went back to the big NP-FM500H battery on the A58. The smaller ones were more problematic when I had the A55.

http://www.exprodirect.com/batteries/

No problems with genuine chargers either.

Edited by spacecadet

Let me add a few more bits of info on this subject. 

Using the cable that came with the Sony camera I have now, an RX100/6, I can recharge the battery in the camera. But . . . I used to do it that way with my RX100/3 and the flap that covers the cable plugin came loose and would no longer stay in place. 

Sony's own batteries hold a charge longer than any of the third-party batteries although all Sony extra bits are expensive, particularly in the UK. Take a look at this Sony charger. $50 in the States and more in the UK --

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-ACC-TRDCJ-Battery-Accessory-Kit/dp/B075CMH1SG/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Sony+ACCTRDCX+Travel+DC+Charger+Kit&qid=1582886565&sr=8-6

Edited by Ed Rooney

I bought a RX100 Mk 7 at Christmas - and bought this for some extra power

4x third party Batteries

1x Charger (That can charge 3 batteries simultaneously)

All for £20.99!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RX4SMMY

I have numbered the batteries, and rotate through the original Sony, and the 4x third party.

All seem to hold their charge when not being used (All start with the full battery indicated)

All seem to have similar battery life - a mix of shooting and wifi access to transfer files to my smartphone.

You can charge 3 batteries simultaneously on the charger from the original Sony USB power adaptor - I guess it takes a bit longer if you are charging more than one - but the charger displays the state of charge as it charges

So far - very happy with my purchase

Jools

Steve I bought the Mk 1 about 18 months ago after recommendations on here, after selling a few images on here taken with it I reckon it's paid for itself.  Still have the original battery in it and it seems fine.  Very handy just to keep in my bag or for when I don't want to lug anything heavy around.   Hope you are well.

Carol

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Cecile. I will be replacing my charger. 😎

Ed, if the charger light turns to green too soon, I wiggle the battery a tiny bit until the red light comes back on. Once I’ve done this the charger usually goes on to fully charge the battery. 

• Like 1

I don't use my Sony cameras day to day...mostly while traveling.  So while they sit, the batteries seem to lose their power...so I have recharge them all before heading out.  My Nikon batteries seem to have a much better dormant life.  I can have one tucked away in my camera bag and months later, I can pull it out and it still has a full charge.

I too have heard good things about Ex-Pro, for Fuji in my case, particularly for their 'White Ultra' series which seems very cheap for the RX100, only £1.00 more than their plain vanilla battery.

http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-sony-np-bx1-npbx1-ultra-white-series-replacement-battery-3.6v-1240mah.html

Patona Premium and Platinum also do well in tests that I've seen, but these aren't readily available in the UK.

Edited by Harry Harrison

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Steve I bought the Mk 1 about 18 months ago after recommendations on here, after selling a few images on here taken with it I reckon it's paid for itself.  Still have the original battery in it and it seems fine.  Very handy just to keep in my bag or for when I don't want to lug anything heavy around.   Hope you are well.

Carol

Hi Carol, yes, am well, though at times my camera bag feels heavy to carry all day when something smaller will likely suit some circumstances. I've just ordered the RX100.

Edited by sb photos

I believe the number of images per charge is around 320 when using the monitor and 230 when using the viewfinder.

I do not have problems with battery life on my RX100's and still have the originals plus one generic. Battery life when camera is idle is very good. Can't say what it is like when shooting though as I never take 200 - 300 images on one shoot.

Always charge in camera and yes the door on my Mk3 will not hold closed. The door on the Mk1 shuts as it should.

The batteries in my other Sony's (A6000 and A7 Mk3) though are another story. They lose charge quite quickly when idle but give good life when being used.

Allan

A bit late to this thread - not sure how I missed it.

I usually charge via a third party charger but occasionally in-camera.

Batteries have not been an issue for me with my RX100's.  One thing I have noticed is when the fully charged light

comes on, if I take the battery out and put it straight back in, it continues to charge for a while longer.

John

Edited by John Walker

Thank you, all, for all the useful information.

I realised now that I've not been having trouble with any of my batteries. My problems were, as Cecile said,

"Ed, if the charger light turns to green too soon, I wiggle the battery a tiny bit until the red light comes back on. Once I’ve done this the charger usually goes on to fully charge the battery."

And I sometimes don't charge a battery long enough. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

This RX100 thread has been interesting to read. Have just been emailed by E Infinity my RX100 MK 7 order is processed and tracking info to follow. Also Amazon just delivered a charger with 3 batteries, the Sony grip and screen protectors. Have been reading and downloading documentation. First use will likely be on a trip into London later this month for a funeral, meeting up with relations, some I can't even remember. The new camera will slip into a pocket and won't be obtrusive. My last surviving Aunt and her family in Canada will appreciate some pictures. It obviously won't be a replacement for my versatile D750's, but still should get a fair bit of use.

Edited by sb photos

I hope you enjoy your Rx100 Mk

6 hours ago, sb photos said:

This RX100 thread has been interesting to read. Have just been emailed by E Infinity my RX100 MK 7 order is processed and tracking info to follow. Also Amazon just delivered a charger with 3 batteries, the Sony grip and screen protectors. Have been reading and downloading documentation. First use will likely be on a trip into London later this month for a funeral, meeting up with relations, some I can't even remember. The new camera will slip into a pocket and won't be obtrusive. My last surviving Aunt and her family in Canada will appreciate some pictures. It obviously won't be a replacement for my versatile D750's, but still should get a fair bit of use.

I will say I consider Mk 7 seriously overpriced.   In my book, old Mk 1 is by margin best bang for your buck from whole line.  You can still find it  for <400 USD.   I replaced Mk1 with Mk3 last yr  (Mk1 broke water damage, had to replace, large sale for Mk3) but don't like it as much.   I chat often with different people and general belief is that Mk3 was last acceptable version in terms value for money.

That being said I hope you enjoy your new camera and wish you many sales on Alamy :)