i am signed up for novel use but how can this licence be novel use?

Usage: Novel Use, Consumer goods, Single use on one consumer item with a max print run of 1,000, UK rights, 1 year. This includes, but is not limited to Postcards (2 x compilation and 1 x single image card treated as a single design), mugs, calendars, greetings cards etc
Media: Postcards
Industry sector: General business services
Print run: up to 1,000
Image Size: Any size
Start: 12 November 2019
End: 12 November 2020

$ 5.21

kevin

reply from alamy

It’s an optional scheme and as the title suggests they’re usages that fall outside our normal licensing model.

Our sales teams are always looking for new and innovative ways to evolve our business, whether that’s with the next big idea or a tailored solution for a key client. The images in the novel use pool give them the freedom to explore these schemes, prototypes and trials, with a variety of price points and licenses.

If you sign up to Novel Use you must be comfortable your images can be used with flexibility regarding use and price. If you’re not comfortable with this, Novel Use is probably not for you.

I thought it was for students etc not for businesses to print postcards !!.That falls inside their business model

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I haven't had an NU as such for years, but price wise I'm not sure it makes any dofference anymore.

I got 5.26 $ for image that was published on newspaper's digital version, so... 

I think pulling out makes sense if you have pride as photographer (which I don't - I'm an amateur) or you believe that your image would be bought anyway, but with bigger $ (which I don't - I'm an amateur).

There's no explaining why sales like these qualify as "novel use". That's why I opted out.

It seems to me that, with it's custom / flexible licensing models, Alamy doesn't really have a "normal licensing model" any longer. Maybe it did when NU was introduced, but NU has now become something of a dinosaur.

Edited by John Mitchell

I have a bunch of Personal Use sales over the last year, that all say:

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
    Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use

and all are for $19.99.

How come an NU print run of 1,000 costs one-fourth the price of a one-time PU?

(I've been opted out of NU since 2007.)

24 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

I have a bunch of Personal Use sales over the last year, that all say:

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
    Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use

and all are for $19.99.

How come an NU print run of 1,000 costs one-fourth the price of a one-time PU?

(I've been opted out of NU since 2007.)

Indeed. All that appears to be novel about NU is the price.

The lowest microstock price for such a use is $80 ...just saying. 

And it can go into the $100s...these prices aren't competing with the micros, they are undercutting them. Really crazy. 

I'm sitting here with a bunch of images and trying to decide if I go only Alamy RM or everywhere RF ... I went from getting some nice prices here first half of the year to less than micro my last few sales, but then I have a bunch of zooms on RM files recently, so I'm guardedly hopeful. 

• Like 1

Addendum - I went back to double-check -my last two sales, for $1.18 was "NU" despite the fact that it was for an Editorial website (maybe a blog?). The other, for $7.36 is an RM file, and not NU. So,  strike the hopeful...

That $7 sale was RM for a newspaper in Turkey, so I"m guessing not part of the "newspaper scheme." - or maybe it is, I earned $7.50 net for a newspaper sale in the US (although after too many months it remains unpaid- found 6 months ago, invoiced and reported to me 4 months ago.)  I've had other NU sales go unpaid - how do they justify taking on cheapo possibly one-off clients who are not traditional magazines and other publishers (who understandably pay net 60 days), and not even getting them to pay up front?  

Edited by Marianne

14 hours ago, Marianne said:

The lowest microstock price for such a use is $80 ...just saying. 

And it can go into the $100s...these prices aren't competing with the micros, they are undercutting them. Really crazy.

True, and it looks like my best value sale, for the third year running, will be via my micro.

But, as on Alamy, certain buyers can negotiate huge sicounts on the 'rack rate' on (at least some of) the micros, even for extended/enhanced licences. But, like here, it's all smoke and mirrors and we, the image producers, are kept in the dark by mushroom management.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

• 4 months later...

Just  reminder that you can opt out of Novel use next month.  Which I will be doing.  I can do without the few cents or dollar that I make from any sale, and I won't get so pissed off at feeling like I'm being insulted and ripped off.  Just my opinion.  

• Like 1

On 29/03/2020 at 13:40, BobD said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you are opted in to NU you cannot then complain.

To be fair you don't realise how little you will get for a sale until you sign up for it, and then you are in it until the following April.  So actually I think there is room to complain.

• Like 1

I complained because I had two sales to that travel website with an app in perpetuity and that is novel use???? So I dropped out of it last year. I was OK with true novel uses but that was ridiculous.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NYCat said:

I complained because I had two sales to that travel website with an app in perpetuity and that is novel use???? So I dropped out of it last year. I was OK with true novel uses but that was ridiculous.

Paulette

be careful they are no longer classified as Novel Use, now they are "Usage: Editorial. Media: Editorial website"

and they still haven't settled First week of January sales, but still allowed to download (found some last week)

The novel use sale price was $1.25. Even the Estonia websites are paying more than that. It is discouraging when people are paying less than $5. Ah well. It is what it is.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

Just now, NYCat said:

The novel use sale price was $1.25. Even the Estonia websites are paying more than that. It is discouraging when people are paying less that $5. Ah well. It is what it is.

Paulette

at this point i would take it if they actually paid.  There is no reason to allow these deals to have 100+ days payment period.