Selective Focus

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Have any of you had QC rejects on images with selective focus? I'm thinking about closeups of tabletop food in particular. I would like to do more of that, but I'm a bit worried about it. 

No, QC understands DoF quite well. If it's clearly intentional, and apparent in a thumbnail, I'd have no concerns about it.

Terrific!

I've been meaning to ask this question for some time now. It will widen my approach considerably. Artistically, it gives me another option and it will let me shoot with a wider f-stop in low light. 

Thanks!

My food shots are selective focus but only because I did not get full DOF. The important part of the image is sharp though.

Allan

Not only selective focus / shallow DOF is acceptable, QC also accepts up to entirely blurred / out of focus. 

Some time ago we had a thread with blurred pictures, to give an idea of the acceptable range of blurred images. 

Have not been here a while, so there may have been others since, but this is the one I remember.

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/5283-your-favorite-blurry-image/

I do blur-for-motion shots often, but was not sure about my food snaps. Here one waiting in QC. The building is a touch soft but the truck is sharp. You can read the menus.

2A6YH8T.jpg

An off-subject question: does anyone know what these zombie signs are about???

2A6YJW6.jpg

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

2A6YJW6.jpg

HALLOWEEN? 

Allan

5 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I can't find any information about these signs. Alamy has only a few samples. 

Presumably it's aspoof road warning sign, seasonal as Allan says.

Triangles are for a warning- they have the point upwards, except for the "give way" (yield) which has the point down. A circular sign means a prohibition. They all have a red border.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/learning-to-drive/the-highway-code-uk-road-signs-and-meanings/

You don't need to heed them, but your bus driver does.

Edited by spacecadet

Mark, the sign I captured is on a walking street near Liverpool ONE and John Lewis, no traffic involved. I don't think it was put up for Halloween. I just want to tag it correctly. 

Oddly, I had a similar problem in Chinatown, in NY. I asked over 50 Asian locals what this thing meant before someone was able to tell me. A good luck charm. 

M1Y6PA.jpg

Zombie sign: My guess would be that it's part of an art installation. Another possibility would be some form of advertising or prop for a horror experience venue like the London Dungeon, but it seems a bit subtle for that.

Edit: Another possibility, which I now think I remember hearing about but could be imagining, is to warn people of 'zombie walkers' looking at their mobiles rather than where they are going.

Edited by DJ Myford
Additional Information

That must be it, Harry. Thanks. I'll have a closer look tomorrow. 

Update:

There are a lot of shops and groups of shops trying to find ways to get back walk-in customers. That's what this zombie sign is about. They are trying to make shopping entertaining. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

On 26/10/2019 at 12:23, Ed Rooney said:

Have any of you had QC rejects on images with selective focus? 

No. I take a lot of moving subject images some of which are moving very fast, frequently with a lot of motion blur which could easily be seen as out of focus but never had a failure. Sometimes the subject is out of focus over much its length apart from a focused detail, and even that passes.

yamaha-fazer-riding-at-speed-through-rows-of-bikes-at-the-southend-shakedown-2014-motorcycle-rally-southend-on-sea-essex-uk-space-for-copy-T5HHM4.jpg

16 hours ago, Avpics said:

No. I take a lot of moving subject images some of which are moving very fast, frequently with a lot of motion blur which could easily be seen as out of focus but never had a failure. Sometimes the subject is out of focus over much its length apart from a focused detail, and even that passes.

yamaha-fazer-riding-at-speed-through-rows-of-bikes-at-the-southend-shakedown-2014-motorcycle-rally-southend-on-sea-essex-uk-space-for-copy-T5HHM4.jpg

Great shot.

Allan

On 30/10/2019 at 17:23, Ed Rooney said:

2A6YJW6.jpg

Don't know about their use in this particular instance, Edo, but I'd instal a few hundreds of them outside the Australian federal parliament . . . hmmm, on second thoughts, that would only be half appropriate--zombies are brain-less, yes, but not heart-less . . .

DD

See  "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and various other things generally in the SF/Fantasy fandoms.  Wikipedia has an article on the zombie apocalypse if you want to add some information about the cultural phenomenon generally. 

34 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

This shot was my last sale in October. Coincidentally, it shows blur-for-action. But selective focus (DoF) is what I was asking about. 

the-corner-deli-la-esquina-a-popular-mex

Ahhh! The good old days Edo.

Allan