chilker

New-ish Submitter Looking for Pointers

Hello!

I've had an account here for quite some time, but only in the last few months have I actually started uploading beyond my initial test upload. I have been working through quite a backlog of photos I've taken over the last few years and now have a few hundred up and available. I recognize that Alamy sales tend to take a little more time than a new submitter might hope, but before I commit to adding hundreds more photos and spending the time describing and tagging them, I'd like some advice or feedback about how I've been doing so far. Could someone please take a look and offer some thoughts? I live in Japan, so most of my shots were taken here. It seems Alamy does not have tons of photos of Japan, but I don't know if that's because photos of Japan don't often sell here, or if it's the other way around.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you!

Just had a quick look at your pix. A few look a bit dark and/or need the shadows 'opening up' a touch...

Hello chilker your portfolio looks  mostly good but the concert images are to far away from the band   keep adding more  

John 

21 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Just had a quick look at your pix. A few look a bit dark and/or need the shadows 'opening up' a touch...

Thanks for taking a look! The concert ones are the dark ones? Or am I consistently too dark? With future uploads I'll keep trying to brighten them and not let the shadows be too overbearingly dark. Thank you!

14 hours ago, John Keast said:

Hello chilker your portfolio looks  mostly good but the concert images are to far away from the band   keep adding more  

John 

I agree about the concert images--unfortunately I took those shots years ago before I even thought I would be putting them online. I know they're not great, but I saw there were very few photos of that band on Alamy, so I thought I'd at least try with a few. Thank you for the feedback!

I agree with John here.  Some images are too dark, but in lots it is due to heavy shadow areas.  You need to open up the areas with the deep shadows.

Jill

Posted (edited)
On 08/06/2019 at 22:06, Jill Morgan said:

I agree with John here.  Some images are too dark, but in lots it is due to heavy shadow areas.  You need to open up the areas with the deep shadows.

Jill

Thanks!

I will be more cautious about shadows! I guess I never realized that dark shadows were considered problematic.

Edited by chilker
Fixed typo

27 minutes ago, chilker said:

I will be more cautious about shadows! I guess I never realized that dark shadows were considered problematic.

They're not if they're incidental to the main point of the image, but they're likely to be if they form a significant part of the composition.

Alan