New-ish Submitter Looking for Pointers

chilker

14 hours ago, chilker said:

Even with that permission and property release, is such an image still not sell-able?

Check the detailed terms of any release they have signed. If it's the standard Alamy release you should be fine. Hopefully the artist understands the full implications of signing Alamy's release including that they are the owner of the property (i.e. they haven't copied the designs from elsewhere) and that your images of their work can be sold for commercial use.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2019 at 18:19, M.Chapman said:

Some of your pictures will be more saleable with some localised adjustments. It only takes a moments in PS to apply a gradient filter (for example your image 2A0NJTT). The original (left 1/3) is unlikely to sell, but after adjustment (right 2/3) it might.

Alamy-2-A0-NJTT.jpg).

Mark

I have re-uploaded over 100 images that I think were too dark, and brightened them. So far I have only re-captioned and tagged about 1/4 of them, but you can now see them in my portfolio. Are these looking bright enough to perhaps be useful?

Thank you again to everyone who has offered ideas and support!

56 minutes ago, chilker said:

I have re-uploaded over 100 images that I think were too dark, and brightened them. So far I have only re-captioned and tagged about 1/4 of them, but you can now see them in my portfolio. Are these looking bright enough to perhaps be useful?

Thank you again to everyone who has offered ideas and support!

Yes they look better. Not sure if you're using LR/PS or not, but in addition to making localised exposure adjustments, the highlights and shadows sliders can be really useful if the shot is very contrasty. Watch out for noise in the shadows or banding in the skies if you overdo it though.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes they look better. Not sure if you're using LR/PS or not, but in addition to making localised exposure adjustments, the highlights and shadows sliders can be really useful if the shot is very contrasty. Watch out for noise in the shadows or banding in the skies if you overdo it though.

Mark

Thanks for the quick response!

I am using Capture One. In this process, I am learning to love the Highlights and Shadows sliders! I guess my personal inclination is toward leaving in too much contrast. I'm learning to break that habit.

8 hours ago, chilker said:

I have re-uploaded over 100 images that I think were too dark, and brightened them.

8 hours ago, chilker said:

So far I have only re-captioned and tagged about 1/4 of them,

If you give member services the two lists of reference numbers, old and new, they will swap the images over, so you don't have to re-tag.

11 hours ago, spacecadet said:

If you give member services the two lists of reference numbers, old and new, they will swap the images over, so you don't have to re-tag.

Not sure they're still willing do that.

wim

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Not sure they're still willing do that.

wim

Sadly, you are right. I asked them, and they said they were willing to completely delete the older versions, but will not do the re-tagging for me. They don't have a particularly easy system for copying over tags, but I've kind of gotten the hang of it with the image manager open in two browser windows on two monitors, going back and both. It's slow going when I'd rather be editing new photos, but I think that if I keep editing the same way, neither my new or my old ones will be sellable, so I might as well try to get it right!

No idea. I had a very specific reason this weekend, but no.

Normally I'm in favor of keeping the old one up with a link to the new one. This has saved some sales for me in the past: clients actually liking the old one better or it had been in the pipeline for a long time.

wim

7 hours ago, chilker said:

Sadly, you are right. I asked them, and they said they were willing to completely delete the older versions, but will not do the re-tagging for me. They don't have a particularly easy system for copying over tags, but I've kind of gotten the hang of it with the image manager open in two browser windows on two monitors, going back and both. It's slow going when I'd rather be editing new photos, but I think that if I keep editing the same way, neither my new or my old ones will be sellable, so I might as well try to get it right!

You could also just open two image manager tabs on the same screen.

John.

26 minutes ago, Stokie said:

You could also just open two image manager tabs on the same screen.

John.

Yes, but it's a bit easier with extra monitor space I think. They're still on the same computer, so I'm just copying and pasting - not going between two computers, thank goodness.