Reportage route successful

One day after it was reported in the news that Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurants were closing, I took a couple of photos of my nearest restaurant and the notice on the door, and tried uploading by the Reportage route - I have recently lost my Live News access, but was given Reportage access, as I had recently sold a Live News photo later as stock. I wasn't too hopeful, but saw that my photos had been zoomed the day after upload. I've just found two of my three photos in The Sun Online in an article written the day after upload (https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9136473/jamie-oliver-restaurant-burgled/). I thought contributors in the same position as me might be interested that Reportage is worth a go!

• Love 1
  • Like 8

53 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

One day after it was reported in the news that Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurants were closing, I took a couple of photos of my nearest restaurant and the notice on the door, and tried uploading by the Reportage route - I have recently lost my Live News access, but was given Reportage access, as I had recently sold a Live News photo later as stock. I wasn't too hopeful, but saw that my photos had been zoomed the day after upload. I've just found two of my three photos in The Sun Online in an article written the day after upload (https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9136473/jamie-oliver-restaurant-burgled/). I thought contributors in the same position as me might be interested that Reportage is worth a go!

Well done!

17 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

I wonder if prices for reportage will equate with Live news content?

Probably comparable with live news images sold later on as stock and not the first two days when prices, as far as I know, will be higher.

I have also begun to use this outlet with the half a day's delay .

Edited by Niels Quist

I uploaded a batch as a kind of test, then added tags and captions once they went live just a bit later. However, I was slightly past the daily update time, so my photos didn’t show up until the next days update (as I’d expected). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gina Kelly said:

When submitting via the reportage route, do the headlines and captions need to be included in each image file (like in news submissions) or can they be added afterward in AIM? Thanks!

It's a good idea to include the headlines, captions and a few keywords when you upload, then they will be on sale as soon as the update happens - that's what I did.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VbFolly said:

It's a good idea to include the headlines, captions and a few keywords when you upload, then they will be on sale as soon as the update happens - that's what I did.

I add preprepared captions and keywords to photo mechanics stationary pad and apply prior to upload. Then I have very little to do in AIM later.

Surely headlines were only for live news, I haven't added any to my reportage uploads.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

I would expect sales would be as stock, reportage just arrives in stock by another route.

Yes, I rather expect this to be the case.. which means those of us forced down the reportage route potentially lose out on the bigger sales values.

On 27/05/2019 at 12:11, VbFolly said:

That's great to hear!  Thanks for posting about it.

Maria

• Like 1

This has probably been discussed already, but what happens to reportage images? I uploaded a few last evening, and they are showing up in AIM but nowhere else. They obviously won't go into the live news feed, so I assume they will appear in my general stock collection at some point. How long does it usually take?

18 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

This has probably been discussed already, but what happens to reportage images? I uploaded a few last evening, and they are showing up in AIM but nowhere else. They obviously won't go into the live news feed, so I assume they will appear in my general stock collection at some point. How long does it usually take?

The daily server update, John. If they haven't turned up you probably haven't finished them with caption and some keywords.

Edited by Niels Quist

30 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

The daily server update, John. If they haven't turned up you probably haven't finished them with caption and some keywords.

Thanks. I put in captions and some keywords before submitting, so I guess I just missed the update, which is what I figured.

21 hours ago, sb photos said:

I add preprepared captions and keywords to photo mechanics stationary pad and apply prior to upload. Then I have very little to do in AIM later.

Surely headlines were only for live news, I haven't added any to my reportage uploads.

Yes, you're right - headlines aren't required, just captions and keywords. Sorry about that.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering, is it worthwhile to set up a separate pseudo for images uploaded via the new "Reportage" route? Any possible advantages (or disadvantages) in doing so?

In my case, I'll be submitting "soft news" (mainly local cultural events) images and short photo essays. In the past, these types of images have licensed -- often for very good prices -- down the road as general stock, never as live news, which didn`t work for me.

Edited by John Mitchell

Can I just clarify something?

I see above you mentioned 'missing the update'.

So, if you upload over the weekend, things won't be visible to buyers until ... sometime on Monday? Or Tuesday?

The reason I was curious is that I noticed two searches over the weekend, one was Pink Glasgow and the other was Glasgow and Pink.

I assume they were looking for the singer Pink who did concerts in the city on Saturday and Sunday nights. (My pic, like all the rest on the first page of the search - creative/new/relevant, was of something pink in Glasgow and not of the singer).

If someone had posted reportage of the singer on Saturday, would they have been available yesterday (Sunday)? (I read she had been out and about in the city, not that I'd know her from Eve.)

Yes, updates occur every day of the week. In the UK, I think it usually happens in the early hours of the morning, so photos uploaded by the reportage route at any time during the day or evening should be on sale by the following morning. On the other side of the Atlantic, that will be during the day, so the update could be missed.

The 2 sales I reported at the beginning of this thread came in today. As expected, they were for normal stock prices for editorial website i.e. only mid $, not for live news prices. So the main benefit of reportage is speed of getting images on sale.