Reportage route successful

11 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

Yes, updates occur every day of the week. In the UK, I think it usually happens in the early hours of the morning, so photos uploaded by the reportage route at any time during the day or evening should be on sale by the following morning. On the other side of the Atlantic, that will be during the day, so the update could be missed.

The 2 sales I reported at the beginning of this thread came in today. As expected, they were for normal stock prices for editorial website i.e. only mid $, not for live news prices. So the main benefit of reportage is speed of getting images on sale.

Another advantage is a caption length of up to 600 characters with spaces, while stock has a limit of 150. Depending upon what you have shot it can be very useful.

17 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Another advantage is a caption length of up to 600 characters with spaces, while stock has a limit of 150. Depending upon what you have shot it can be very useful.

True, but the downside of that is that, like with actual live news, you often have to go back and edit the caption to cope with Alamy's search quirks, as best as possible.

My usual example is that you have a photo of "a crowd waiting excitedly to see Famous Person" and as captions trump keywords (for the past couple of years at least), that file will show up in a search for 'Famous Person', even though s/he is not in the image. After the event, the chance of someone searching 'Famous Person' being interested in that crowd photo are almost nil, unless it's really a major historic event and a Really Important Famous Person.  (E.g. whenever there's a Royal Wedding, the newspapers show archive pics of previous RWs, which might well include the waiting crowd, as an indicator of fashions, hairstyles etc)

So I'd normally shift the mention of Famous Person to the additional information. All takes more time.

Then there is the message forever afterwards on the file that the quality may not be up to normal standards. (also like Live News).

Then, there's the question of lots of local local press not buying images, and in cities there's pretty likely to be a tog with Live News availability on the spot., unless you just happen on something newsworthy, rather than something which was known about in advance.

A lot to weigh up.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

2 hours ago, VbFolly said:

The 2 sales I reported at the beginning of this thread came in today. As expected, they were for normal stock prices for editorial website i.e. only mid $, not for live news prices. So the main benefit of reportage is speed of getting images on sale.

I've heard from a very reliable source that the Scottish edition of the Sun pays ordinary stock prices for Live News nowadays.

I don't know if that applies to the English version. But someone must know!