What are these tractors doing?

andremichel

Question

There are acres of land prepared like this in Thanet.  They grow lettuce/leaf crops mainly.  It started a couple of years back with just one small area and now it look like big business.

Type 'lettuce crops commercial' into Google Image Search to see some examples/

Hope this helps.

11 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Keywording.......I would put 'John Deere' (make of tractor) in. Also 'arable' and 'mechanised' too.

I sometimes drive tractors. Quite an experience driving a brand new John Deere compared to an old tractor from 40 years ago.

I'd be trying to find out the model, and model year, of tractor as well. I even did it for an archive image of a Greyhound bus.

1 minute ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Keywording.......I would put 'John Deere' (make of tractor) in. Also 'arable' and 'mechanised' too.

I sometimes drive tractors. Quite an experience driving a brand new John Deere compared to an old tractor from 40 years ago.

Thanks. This thread is proving to be very worthwhile.

50 minutes ago, andremichel said:

I am getting a bit confused now. I thought the ones on the left were bed shaping not the right, as per the original photos I posted? 

I never could tell left from right 😀

In the third photo it is the ones on the left bed shaping, the two on the right drilling.

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

What everyone else said -- bed shaping after plowing with the ones on the right and sowing with a drill on the left (large apparatus behind the tractor).  Raised beds. 

I am getting a bit confused now. I thought the ones on the left were bed shaping not the right, as per the original photos I posted? 

6 hours ago, aphperspective said:

Looks very similar to bed forming for a potato crop used in Norfolk if its any help.

Andy

These were taken in Norfolk at Burnham Overy (Maybe you know that already from the current title) 

43 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Yes of course I did.

No I tried to cut the number down to something more managable by including 'UK' or guessing at terms it might be, but not been successful.

Interestingly, if I use term 'tractor deep bed preparation', only one image out of 172,645 appears and it looks nothing like mine. This demonstrates the power of using the correct keywords.

Yes, that's a tiller/harrow not a bed shaper

36 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

Asparagus?

They use a different bed structure for commercial asparagus production, more of a triangular shape so the spears can be cut as they grow through the sides.  I grew them on a permanent deep bed when I had a allotment but it's not as efficient for large scale harvesting.  

10 minutes ago, andremichel said:

Yes of course I did.

No I tried to cut the number down to something more managable by including 'UK' or guessing at terms it might be, but not been successful.

Interestingly, if I use term 'tractor deep bed preparation', only one image out of 172,645 appears and it looks nothing like mine. This demonstrates the power of using the correct keywords.

It's worth the efforts, I guess...

6 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

Have you checked all them out? 😉

Yes of course I did.

4 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Looks like the two on the left are direct seed drilling into the previously shaped beds.

Cheers. :)

There are 172,645 images of a tractor on Alamy, but I've failed to find an existing image where they are doing the same thing in this way. 

37 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Looking at the attachment on the back of the tractor in the first shot they could also be sowing or plug planting directly into the beds after shaping. 

This is another image that shows these other guys (heading away from me) also involved:

T1D1P5.jpg

The dirt was only coming out from the ones coming towards me.

Archived