I just noticed early this morning that Alamy Prints is now live on some of my pages. Prices range from $14.99 USD for an 8x10 inches to U$ 79.99 USD for 54 x 26 inches.

Images where I've restricted Personal Use don't have the red Print button. 

Any thoughts?

I see that on mine, too. I haven't had overwhelming success with selling prints so I will wait and see about any restrictions. Can we assume that our buyers for other uses are not going to object to this?

Paulette

Not on mine yet. Guess they're rolling it out in the US first. 

If anyone from Alamy is listening, it would be good to get a "one week notice or so" so that we can set the appropriate restrictions to images that we don't want to be sold as prints. 

They're selling prints? Yeah, I see...it goes to art.com.

Do we know how much we get out of the listed prices? I have a few hundred images on a POD site (most of which are on Alamy) where I get more than the Alamy listed print price.

Awaiting email from Alamy.......

Awaiting changes to agreement to cover print sales......

Awaiting chance to opt out of this......

sorry I missed the other thread too, been away a while. These prices look ridiculously cheap compared to what I sell my own prints for - "Prices range from $14.99 USD for an 8x10 inches to U$ 79.99 USD for 54 x 26 inches." - do we know what percentage of this we get?

And do we have an answer yet from Alamy as to the whether opting out of personal use / print sales results in us opting out of distribution?

It

sorry I missed the other thread too, been away a while. These prices look ridiculously cheap compared to what I sell my own prints for - "Prices range from $14.99 USD for an 8x10 inches to U$ 79.99 USD for 54 x 26 inches." - do we know what percentage of this we get?

And do we have an answer yet from Alamy as to the whether opting out of personal use / print sales results in us opting out of distribution?

I had a German distributor sale recently of an image that is opted out of personal use. Whether that is universal or not I don't know.

Opting out of personal use means that you automatically opt out of print sales and having seen these prices I'm not unhappy at that. It's being implemented for American contributors first it seems. Clearly one is selling a very cheap licence if the baseline price is $14.99 for a 10x8" print, shared between Art.com, Alamy and the contributor. It would seem very unlikely that the contributor cut would rise with the size/price of the Art.com product.

We're supposed to get 50% of what Alamy get, but are those prices quoted from Art.com or from Alamy? If from Art.com and someone pays $14.99 to them, it won't leave much left over from the printing to pay Alamy, then 50% of that goes to us. Could it be that the $14.99 is if you supply your own images to Art.com, but if you choose one from Alamy you'll be charged more?

I cannot yet see this facility myself, so can't check out how it all works.

Geoff.

I would have assumed that is the price the customer pays - so yes we get very low priced peanuts. I just looked on Art.com, 25% off site wide today, if they frequently do these deals as a lot of POD sites seem to, then we get even less. Its hard to see how prices are set on art.com, is it fixed or did Alamy set these prices?

It

I had a German distributor sale recently of an image that is opted out of personal use. Whether that is universal or not I don't know.

Opting out of personal use means that you automatically opt out of print sales and having seen these prices I'm not unhappy at that. It's being implemented for American contributors first it seems. Clearly one is selling a very cheap licence if the baseline price is $14.99 for a 10x8" print, shared between Art.com, Alamy and the contributor. It would seem very unlikely that the contributor cut would rise with the size/price of the Art.com product.

thats encouraging re the German distributor, would be good to get confirmation from Alamy though, I seriously want to opt out of this appalling deal but don't want to lose distribution.

Could anyone post a link to a picture where this feature is activated already? I didn't find it on any picture yet.

Thanks

When I view your photos I can see the print option, in US dimensions and US currency,  so it must be only available to buyers in the US, at this point.

Could anyone post a link to a picture where this feature is activated already? I didn't find it on any picture yet.

Thanks

Here's one of mine with the print option though it may depend on your location rather than mine.

Edit: When I view your photos I can see the print option so it must be available to buyers in the US.

Print option not showing in the UK.

Allan

Thanks

Here's one of mine with the print option though it may depend on your location rather than mine.

Edit: When I view your photos I can see the print option so it must be available to buyers in the US.

Print option not showing in the UK.

Allan

Nor in Denmark.

Probably goes for all EU countries and those still members. 

Yes, only in the USA so far. I connected through an encrypted proxy service in New York and found all the images come up with a 'print' button. Time for me to start adding restrictions I'm afraid......

Paul

Getting back to Alamy Prints...

I asked Alamy about opting out of prints, and they said the way to do that is to turn off Novel Use for each image.

I think this should be under Additional Revenue Options because, well, it's an additional revenue option.

(Also must admit, I've only ever used the old Manage Images and wouldn't trust myself making a global change with the new Manage Images.)

Getting back to Alamy Prints...

I asked Alamy about opting out of prints, and they said the way to do that is to turn off Novel Use for each image.

I think this should be under Additional Revenue Options because, well, it's an additional revenue option.

(Also must admit, I've only ever used the old Manage Images and wouldn't trust myself making a global change with the new Manage Images.)

Hi Bill,

Just to jump in here, that's not what we said. You need to add restrictions for personal use within Manage Images.

Best,

Alamy

Alamy could you also answer whether opting out of personal use means you will be opted out of all distribution? thanks :)

Yes, I also remember reading what Callie said.  Interested in hearing Alamy's reply. 

Sung

Alamy could you also answer whether opting out of personal use means you will be opted out of all distribution? thanks :)

At the moment, it's technically very challenging to ensure third party distributors have the restrictions visible to them, so it means we remove images that are restricted from the distribution pool to make sure the collection is 'safe'.

We are however working to fix this for images that have personal use restrictions only, and it may be that we can work around this with certain distributors shortly - so it's not a definitive yes or no. This is on our project list so no timeframes can be given at this point.

Cheers

Alamy

Archived