Getting back to Alamy Prints...

I asked Alamy about opting out of prints, and they said the way to do that is to turn off Novel Use for each image.

I think this should be under Additional Revenue Options because, well, it's an additional revenue option.

(Also must admit, I've only ever used the old Manage Images and wouldn't trust myself making a global change with the new Manage Images.)

Hi Bill,

Just to jump in here, that's not what we said. You need to add restrictions for personal use within Manage Images.

Best,

Alamy

Yes, sorry, meant to say Personal Use.

• 2 weeks later...

The print option showed up on my images for only a few days and is now gone.  I'm OK with this as I hope we'll get a global opt-out option (like novel use, etc) vs having to use restrictions which may impact distribution sales.

The print option showed up on my images for only a few days and is now gone.  I'm OK with this as I hope we'll get a global opt-out option (like novel use, etc) vs having to use restrictions which may impact distribution sales.

The print option seems to be gone for those of us in the US.

The print option seems to be gone for those of us in the US.

That's odd...

John, when I asked Alamy to opt me out of the prints sales it included only RM. You still could buy RF as a print which is nonsense situation.

Now I have a question - this is the story:

- I was in distribution sales,

- I opted out of prints and automatically was OUT of distribution,

- today I see I'm IN back again while the personal use license is still restricted on my RM images.

Am I IN or OUT of distributions? Voting is ON ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

resurrecting this one:

Had an Alamy Print sale drop in today. 11x14 POD. Sold for $4.55. $2.27 to me......  :(

edited to add:

I've looked at the image order page and don't see a "print" option. Sale was to the UK.

resurrecting this one:

Had an Alamy Print sale drop in today. 11x14 POD. Sold for $4.55. $2.27 to me......  :(

edited to add:

I've looked at the image order page and don't see a "print" option. Sale was to the UK.

What kind of print was it? Type of finish etc

Under the old MI I opted out of Personal Use for all images. Pretty sure it was a manual process, one screenful at a time. Now my new images already have that restriction checked. Seeing the price above, I'm very thankful for that and will pass on Alamy Prints.

Under the old MI I opted out of Personal Use for all images. Pretty sure it was a manual process, one screenful at a time. Now my new images already have that restriction checked. Seeing the price above, I'm very thankful for that and will pass on Alamy Prints.

I asked MS (now CR) to do it for me and they did.

Allan

Alamy could you also answer whether opting out of personal use means you will be opted out of all distribution? thanks :)

At the moment, it's technically very challenging to ensure third party distributors have the restrictions visible to them, so it means we remove images that are restricted from the distribution pool to make sure the collection is 'safe'.

We are however working to fix this for images that have personal use restrictions only, and it may be that we can work around this with certain distributors shortly - so it's not a definitive yes or no. This is on our project list so no timeframes can be given at this point.

Cheers

Alamy

If it is technically difficult, isn't it right for Alamy to introduce this new service 'POD' or Personal Use etc when they have appropriate system in place for each individual contributor's preference?  It is grossly unjust to say that if you opt out personal use, you HAVE TO opt out distribution too.  This 'take it or leave' attitude worries me about Alamy's future business plans.

Sung

This creates such a big conflict with those that sell on POD sites.  We should be able to opt out without impacting other distribution. I haven't opted out yet, but seriously considering it as I am finally going to do wome work on images for a POD site, and I can't have them there for one price and have Alamy sell them here for another.

Jill

resurrecting this one:

edited to add:

There are 2 issues here.

Firstly it is the price.  At the moment, POD is the only place you get reasonable prices for our precious images.  However, the Alamy prints/POD whatever you call it, the price is depressingly low and it is not refund-proof either.  I had a sale of dismal $22.99 for business internal decor/poster on 16 Sep 2016 (I don't know the size but it must be a decent size), which has not be paid, but some 4 months later on 30 Jan this year, it was credited.  Did they return the poster to Alamy or they kept the poster and got the credit, hence a free poster on a wall somewhere in an office?

Secondly, these new revenue options should be all independent so that each of us is able to choose which one you join in or opt out.  If Alamy can't do that due to technical issues, they shouldn't make them available.  I have got a feeling that they see an opportunity and jump in without any thoughts given to the contributors or proper preparation.  It is as if they say 'Never mind the photographers, we will get 50% anyway! Get the money in first and sort out the problem later.'  In the mean time, we are the one who suffers.

Sung

This creates such a big conflict with those that sell on POD sites.  We should be able to opt out without impacting other distribution. I haven't opted out yet, but seriously considering it as I am finally going to do wome work on images for a POD site, and I can't have them there for one price and have Alamy sell them here for another.

Jill

I understand your dilemma.  I, however, begin to think that Alamy couldn't care less.  You or me is just one of their 50,000 contributors.

Sung

Edit) corrected a typo.

Jill

My only sale so far this month is a $202 distributor sale, so I'm not about to risk opting out of distribution.

That said, $4.55 for an 11 X 14 POD print is totally depressing. Who the heck dreamed up this pricing?

Jill

My only sale so far this month is a $202 distributor sale, so I'm not about to risk opting out of distribution.

That said, $4.55 for an 11 X 14 POD print is totally depressing. Who the heck dreamed up this pricing?

Exactly, it is like that we are held for ransom to accept POD/Personal Use with ridiculous prices.

Archived