Welcome to the Alamy Contributor Forum. Log-in using your existing Alamy account details. If you're not registered yet then you need to create an Alamy Contributor account to be able to post here. Once registered, you'll be able to choose a forum display name and there will be a link to your images on Alamy within your profile. Please have a read of the rules and announcements before posting. Your first post will be moderated before appearing. Welcome to our photographer community!

Photo
- - - - -

Personal Use?

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#41 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Part of the forum furniture

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 3 weeks ago

I had a PU sale for $10.64 today. The price for PU usage shows up as $19.95 here in Canada. What is the official (on the Alamy calculator) price for PU usage in the UK and Europe these days? And in the USA?

Mainland Europe: a measly € 9.99 (Euro)  :(

Cheers,
Philippe

Thanks. That's what I thought. Reason I ask is that a large print of this same image netted me $185 on a popular POD site last November. I see now that the POD print buyer was in the USA. Was it the same person looking here for another print? Hopefully not. I think that the PU price in US is the same as in Canada, i.e. $19.99 (?)

John Mitchell

#42 NYCat

NYCat

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 3 weeks ago

I had a PU sale for $10.64 today. The price for PU usage shows up as $19.95 here in Canada. What is the official (on the Alamy calculator) price for PU usage in the UK and Europe these days? And in the USA?

Cheers,
Philippe

Thanks. That's what I thought. Reason I ask is that a large print of this same image netted me $185 on a popular POD site last November. I see now that the POD print buyer was in the USA. Was it the same person looking here for another print? Hopefully not. I think that the PU price in US is the same as in Canada, i.e. $19.99 (?)

I had one last month for $8.25. The price here in the USA is supposed to be $19.99.

Paulette

#43 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 3 weeks ago

Cheers,
Philippe

I had one last month for $8.25. The price here in the USA is supposed to be $19.99.

Paulette

Thanks for confirming. I'm hoping this PU client wasn't in the US. No way of knowing of course since PU prices aren't consistent. Perhaps it's time for me to restrict this particular image.

John Mitchell

#44 Rolf Adlercreutz

Rolf Adlercreutz

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 3 weeks ago

I have some very early pictures of David Bowie here on Alamy. During the last 5 years I have sold more than 80 signed prints, directly or through galleries. No way I'll let Alamy send full-rez files to clients so they can make their own prints. No way!

Rolf

#45 Julie Edwards

Julie Edwards

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Posted 3 weeks ago

I think part of the problem is that the lowest priced license (whatever it may be - personal use or presentation) is the default license in the"buy image" panel. 

What do I mean by this (just to clarify) - click on an image to buy and on the right hand side , the lowest priced option is already selected leaving the user just to click the big red "download" button without them really taking in what the options are. 

I personally think if NO default was selected and the user made to actively select a license a license type before the download - here would be more chance of the correct license types being purchased. I also think however that the total of sales would decline.

(Ex User-Interface designer). 

Edited by Julie Edwards, 3 weeks ago.

“East gate, south gate, west gate, north gate.”

@@j_edwards_photo

#46 Colblimp

Colblimp

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationBallydehob, Ireland

Posted 3 weeks ago

Maybe I should put in the description field that this is a photo not a box of tablets.

To be fair, maybe the buyers (that's two now) weren't total eejits. Maybe someone is really ill but can't afford meds in their country, and has very little to lose by taking possibly dodgy drugs. That would explain why the first one, and no doubt the second, would ask for refunds. If I'd done anything that stupid, I'd be too embarrassed to ask for a refund.

Anyone who buys a picture of X, Y or Z thinking they're getting the item pictured really is a brain dead moron, especially as Alamy advertises itself as a picture agency.  Unbelievable!

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons...

http://www.andygibsonphotography.com/

#47 vpics

vpics

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Good point, Julie.

Maybe putting the default one on "website" would help. 

#48 Dyn Llun

Dyn Llun

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationWild Wales

Posted 3 weeks ago

I have some very early pictures of David Bowie here on Alamy. During the last 5 years I have sold more than 80 signed prints, directly or through galleries. No way I'll let Alamy send full-rez files to clients so they can make their own prints. No way!

Rolf

I have similar of many bands from the '60's and '70's including Queen, Manfred Mann and many others. Ditto not letting them anywhere near Alamy. In the 1980's I sold them through a reputable picture library but for proper prices and I knew that the library closely monitored their use. 

#49 Martin P Wilson

Martin P Wilson

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationNottingham, UK

Posted 3 weeks ago

Rolf

How do you stop them? See the other thread from Julie wqhere it seems even with no personal use the print option exists!

I put no personal use restriction on all my images but I am very concerned that prints may still be possible.

Martin Wilson

#50 Ed Rooney

Ed Rooney

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,431 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 3 weeks ago

Good thinking, Julie,

#51 Jill Morgan

Jill Morgan

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationThe Back 40, Lindsay, Ontario

Posted 3 weeks ago

From what I can tell, you have to buy the digital version first, then you can order a print.  So the buyer gets both a print and a digital copy of the file.

Jill

Photography Website:  http://jkmorganpets....rganphotography

Custom Equestrian & Dog Supplies:  http://jkmorganpets.com

#52 Foreign Export

Foreign Export

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 3 weeks ago

just licensed two personal use images today - a BMW dealership and a bank

Personal use?  -I doubt it

#53 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 3 weeks ago

From what I can tell, you have to buy the digital version first, then you can order a print.  So the buyer gets both a print and a digital copy of the file.

Jill

The following would suggest that you're correct:

"Need a print? Print your Alamy purchases with Art.com"

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. No?

John Mitchell

#54 Cryptoprocta

Cryptoprocta

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 3 weeks ago

So following two PU sales of photos of boxes of medications, the first refunded, the second presumably will be refunded soon, I put this in the description of every file in the series: "NB: this is a stock image of medications, NOT a sale of the medications."

Yet overnight another PU sale of a box of medication sold this morning as a PU, so I double-checked the note is showing on the file page, and it is, although 'below the fold' on my monitor.

Do people get PU sales of other 'products'?

Edited by Cryptoprocta, 3 weeks ago.

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in
~Leonard Cohen

#55 losdemas

losdemas

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Here's one:

C929D5.jpg

I guess someone wanted a parking meter to erect somewhere as a prank... ;) :mellow: :huh: :rolleyes: :unsure:

#56 KWheal

KWheal

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

The problem about complaining to alamy about any personal use licenses is that they have already supplied the large file so they can't give it back so they say "oh sorry, i thought i was buying the item, give me the money back" and keep the file anyway. So I guess its better to just not complain to alamy about spurious personal use licenses or pull out of them and lose distributor licences and the spurious downloader will start using the presentation route

kevin

#57 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 3 weeks ago

The problem about complaining to alamy about any personal use licenses is that they have already supplied the large file so they can't give it back so they say "oh sorry, i thought i was buying the item, give me the money back" and keep the file anyway. So I guess its better to just not complain to alamy about spurious personal use licenses or pull out of them and lose distributor licences and the spurious downloader will start using the presentation route

kevin

What would be better is ....... Alamy NOT allowing refunds for PU nor Presentation sales -_-
Besides - for those who thought they bought the actual product - isn't the Alamy homepage crystal clear?

100 million stock images, vectors and videos. Greater choice from Alamy, the world’s most diverse stock photo collection.

Is there a word in the above they didn't understand? :blink:

Cheers,
Philippe

Edited by arterra, 3 weeks ago.

Arterra Picture LibraryWildeyes

nature, travel and environmental photography

LogoFineArtAmericaBlueShape.jpg

#58 GS-Images

GS-Images

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 3 weeks ago

Exactly Philippe, it is clear it's a photo they're paying for at every step of the process. I know Alamy have said several times that images are purchased daily by those who think they're buying the actual item, but I think customers are fobbing them off and personally I don't believe for a moment anyone really thinks they are buying the item. Even if they come from a Google search, which most will, it is painfully clear they are buying an image license.

Geoff.

#59 KWheal

KWheal

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I had a PU of an argos delivery lorry at the same time that the delivery drivers were going on strike so it was obviously not a PU but a news item. Did I report it ..... No, because it had a good chance of being refunded and they would have got it for free which is even worse. I trust alamy to deal with all aspects of selling my images to the point that I just deal with them now, but dealing with PU I just feel that it was a bad move by alamy in

A.bringing them in at that price point

B.Having no safeguards in place in dealing with abuse of PU, which there obviously is on quite a large scale

kevin

#60 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 3 weeks ago

Bottom line: offering editorial and commercial images for personal use on the same website at super-low prices is just too risky and a really bad idea.

Edited by John Mitchell, 3 weeks ago.

John Mitchell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users