Royal Wedding - worth the hassle?

Alamy just released a blog about photographing a Royal Wedding:

https://www.alamy.com/blog/photographing-a-royal-wedding

As it happens, I live 35 minutes away from Windsor and my mother-in-law lives 15 minutes walk from Windsor Castle. So in many respects, I should go and take pictures of the royal wedding.

But is it worth the trouble?

• As far as I understand, the road network in and around Windsor pretty much gets closed around 10pm on the Friday night, meaning that I would have to go and stay with my mother-in-law before then and would then effectively be trapped in Windsor until Sunday (yes, roads will re-open on Saturday after the wedding but I would expect them to be ridiculously busy)
  • Unless I wait for hours beforehand, I am unlikely to get a good view of the parade route which might give me a fleeting shot if lucky.
  • Every major new broadcaster and more from around the globe will be there covering every angle of the event themselves anyway along with goodness knows how many other stock photographers.
  • Shops and eating places will be ridiculously busy so I'd have to take food with me.
  • I would think the most salable shots would come from photographing the crowds/onlookers but I might be able to get good shots from people celebrating closer to home.
  • I'm not really kitted out for large-scale news reporting. I have a mobile phone which runs out of battery quite quickly when doing too much with it which is fine for the occasional news/weather shot but wouldn't manage 100s of news uploads.

I was just curious as to whether any other Alamy contributors on these forums were planning to cover the event and what they're expectations might be. 

Never mind the wedding, I can see a lot of picture opportunities in being "trapped " for the weekend with your mother-in-law. It sounds like an episode of 'On the Buses'.

I'll be busy during the wedding, watching paint dry...

If I were in your position Matt, I'd be shooting the preparations - police sniffer dogs, taping up litter bins, fencing going up, tarting up the streets, etc, etc. I wouldn't bother my arse on the wedding day - there's going to be hundreds of photographers there from around the world and unless you get the shot of a lifetime, I predict you'll be wasting your time.

Most of my work is news based, but for the reasons outlined above I am giving the royal wedding a miss.  There will be hundreds of photographers trying to get shots so the chance of sales are small while the costs of getting to and staying in Windsor are going to far outweigh any potential sales.   i have heard some ridiculous sums of money being mentioned for press pen, vantage points etc.  As noted, some of the pros I know are having to be in position the night before and sit all night in the hope of a possible shot....

Yes, some pictures will sell and sell well, but they will tend to be the regular royal photographers who will have the best vantage points and a detailed itinerary and guest list (with mugshots).    

I agree there may be some scope for preparation and novelty shots - but again every photographer and his/her dog will be going for those.

Having said the above as one photographer said to me there is the simple thrill of just being there - and that I can understand....

42 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

If I were in your position Matt, I'd be shooting the preparations - police sniffer dogs, taping up litter bins, fencing going up, tarting up the streets, etc, etc. I wouldn't bother my arse on the wedding day - there's going to be hundreds of photographers there from around the world and unless you get the shot of a lifetime, I predict you'll be wasting your time.

The problem is, much of this will happen Wednesday, Thursday and Friday... but I have a day job and it's normally weekends that I find myself in Windsor.

I'd thought about this too, Matt, but decided against it for some of the reasons you describe.  I'm sure that there will be many (saleable) opportunities in many towns and villages around the country - and not just at official events.  You could always try Marks & Sparks!

Thank goodness I’m so far away I don’t even have to think about it. I’m sick of the whole thing already. I shall not even look at the news next weekend. I had a surreal experience in 2011 when Will and Kate tied the knot of seeing it on a TV screen in a shop at Lake Canaima in Venezuela. The whole world will be watching.

13 hours ago, Sally said:

2011 when Will and Kate tied the knot of seeing it on a TV screen in a shop at Lake Canaima in Venezuela

That would have made a good shot for Live News!

58 minutes ago, AndrewP said:

That would have made a good shot for Live News!

Yes, if I had been a contributor then. So many places around the world I have been to in the last ten years that I regret not having photos of taken with a proper camera. 

Well I went along yesterday - primarily to shoot some Windsor 'getting ready' but also to recce the route and ear wig in on the arrangements so managed to pick up some intel!

Road will indeed be closed by 4.am and some by 10.00pm the previous night. The route itself is very narrow in places; the town is small anyway but add to that the pinch-points created by anti-terrorism barriers and you have the potential for massive logjams. The Long Mile area will have 3 metre wide barriers positioned away from the road so unless you want to wait for 6 hours by a railing, you'd be best shooting from a distance although there is no high ground and I'd bet they will be police every few yards to block the views for many when it matters. There will also be 6 screens broadcasting live in the park and I've no idea if ladders will be allowed there but yesterday there was a board at the Castle end saying only Media can film from preset areas half-way down which sounds unenforceable.

I was intending to go on Saturday but really hate being penned into non-places so am seriously thinking the other way - of finding some street parties near us in south London. Those pictures have far wider uses than the one-off event itself.

Wherever you end up, at least it'll be nice weather!

Rgds,

Richard.

17 minutes ago, Sally said:

So many places around the world I have been to in the last ten years that I regret not having photos of taken with a proper camera.

At the height of the Northern Rock crisis I walked passed a queue of people outside a branch. It was sunny day, the road was on a hill and gave a good angle, I had my camera with me. But I didn't take a photo. It would still be making me money today!

Just now, Patrick Cooper said:

I guess you could always climb a tree if you're allowed to!

A photograph of a photographer in the tree might be more saleable than whatever the photographer in the tree is trying to photograph!

I’ve been submitting photos to the news as I find them...

London, UK 15 May 2018 A store in London selling Royal Family face masks for one pound, in preparation for the upcoming royal wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle.

london-uk-15-may-2018-a-store-in-london-

Richmond Upon Thames UK, 12th May 2018. A window display of Royal Wedding keepsakes and novelty items for sale including mugs, tea, biscuits, tote bags and cupcake liners.

richmond-upon-thames-uk-12th-may-2018-a-

Richmond Upon Thames UK. 12th May 2018. A grocery store display selling Royal Wedding Cupcakes in anticipation of Prince Harry's upcoming marriage to Meghan Markle.

4 hours ago, Lisa said:

Richmond Upon Thames UK. 12th May 2018. A grocery store display selling Royal Wedding Cupcakes in anticipation of Prince Harry's upcoming marriage to Meghan Markle.

Good grief. I have not seen a single public expression related to the forthcoming wedding North of the Border.

7 minutes ago, Sally said:

Good grief. I have not seen a single public expression related to the forthcoming wedding North of the Border.

They are all over the place in these parts.

You can even get your photo taken standing next to a life-seized cardboard cutout of the happy couple as you enter Paperchase!

the-front-of-the-paperchase-store-on-peascod-street-n-windsor-uk-MMYKMM.jpg

Archived